View Single Post
Old 06-23-2004   #4
Mistril48
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by __V__
I agree but we will also start to lose some players via free agency soon as well. We will not be able to keep everyone we groom but that is not such a bad thing since we will have a talented core of mature players by next season.
Bold mine

I'm sure that Carr is locked in for several more years, but I'm less sure about the rest of the 2002 draft class. I assumed that Gaffney, Pitts and Weary are first day picks who are locked in through 2005 (their 4th year), but I confess I'm not sure. Alan Burge shows a 2005 cap number for each, although I suppose they could have performance clauses granting early free agency. Ordinarily, I believe, a player would be a restricted free agent one year and a non-restricted free agent the next. As none of these players were restricted free agents this year, I would think we would have them locked in for this year and next.

Accordingly, We can keep less expensive players like Gaffney, Pitts and Weary and get four more less expensive players in next year's draft (1st, 2nd and two 3rds). I do agree we may have to release more expensive players (Bradford, McKinney, Wong, Coleman, etc.) to accomodate salary escalations on other players, including Carr, but I would think it wouldn't affect our first year drafted players until after 2005.
Mistril48 is offline   Reply With Quote