View Single Post
Old 10-20-2008   #131
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Titans to consider donning Oilers' throwback jersey in '09.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post

He may have been an Oiler fan or whatever, but he is coming into a Texans board and rubbing salt on old wounds. I'm a die hard Texans fan, but I'll still cherish my Oilers memories as well and the "Luv ya blue", expression will always run in my veins just as the Texans pride does now. I knew a few of the players back then and some of the coaches as well. I still have old memorabilia of the Oilers stuff in my office.

Saying that the Titans went to a higher place is not only stupid, but uncalled for and an insult to our city in general. Bragging on a 6-0 record and waving it around saying how the Oilers of old were never this good and yada yada yada is just an attempt to cheapen what the old Oilers were.
I understand your perspective, Tex. I really do...

But, I have let the past go and choose not to live there anymore. I will always appreciate our city's football history. Good times, bad times, warts and all. They are just memories now. And nothing we do, say, or believe, will ever bring it back to the way things were.

I hate the Titans as much as anybody. I was a diehard Cowboys hater until the Titans were created. Now, I can barely give a rat's azz what happens to the girls. My hatred for the Titans eclipses anything/everything that I have disliked about Dallas' team.

All that being said....we, the fans, own the memories. Pud can never take that away. As long as each of us draws a breath from this planet, we will always have those memories (some I wish I could forget, too *cough*35-3*cough*).

The fact remains, however, that the Oilers/Titans were always Pud's team. The colors, the symbols, the records...all of it is OWNED by Pud. Always has been. And I cannot escape the basic fact that Pud and his franchise are intertwined, represent each other, and are inseparable.

So to hold on to those symbols and those colors, only serves to hold onto that which is Pud. Because the uniforms are not what our memories are made of. They are just the decoration to the great football games and players we remember.

After Pud dryhumps the carcass of those symbols, then the cycle of greed is complete. And all that will really mean anything about our old team is the word HOUSTON at the end of the day. JMO