View Single Post
Old 10-07-2008   #48
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Tuesday I woke up and realized that I was looking at progress.

This is a very good post. Some thoughts....

The way we all learn is not through someone just telling you stuff. You learn by doing. By succeeding and failing. Learning through experience can be painful, but it sticks with you better than book learning.

The Texans have a team that is young. And really hasn't played together as a group much. Look at the different units of the team. The best working parts are the ones that have been working together the most. Some teams close better because they have experience in closing.

Just from playing sports, I know that a team with lesser talent but more experience playing together can usually beat a team with greater talent who aren't used to each other as teammates. And that when your best players also have good amounts of experience (not too young or old), you have a better chance.

This seems rather self-evident. But it is easy to lose sight of with a team that basically has been reshaped from 2005.

I recently talked to one of post-2005 incoming coaches about the biggest challenges with taking over the Texans. He said the first problem was that it was evident that they had no idea how to properly prepare for an NFL season. The "how to prepare like a pro" phrase that you hear Kubiak say a lot.

He believes that they are on track with that. The harder thing to do get a team to learn how to win. To get the sensible confidence that good teams have. Obviously they aren't on track with that, but I do think we've seen continued progress with wins, even with injuries that would challenge many teams. This last game is part of that learning experience. That hopefully, they take the good from it, and that they don't get a sense of a "there we go again" when the inevitable bad stuff happens in every NFL game.