View Single Post
Old 10-01-2008   #20
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx
Default Re: New options for defensive coordinator?

I think one of the most underrated things about pro football is the importance of assistant coaches. Those guys are the "teachers" of the positions that make everything in the unit go. They all coordinate with the coordinator. They "coach up" the players and get the young guys ready to play and develop. Belichek is one of the best db coaches period. That's why they seem to win with low rd picks like samuels,sanders, and a list of no names. Hell, they even won with a receiver playing db. Look at how many lb's indy has lost to free agency. U can start with mike peterson, marcus washington, cato june to name a few. Not only that, look at guys like bethea,jackson, sanders, and other that have played well in that secondary.Now many will point to the cover 2 and stuff, but detroit plays the same and so does kc, but they're players aren't playing at the same level as those guys.

Now to the main topic, who would be a great dc? The usual suspects like the fired hc like lewis,nolan, plus rivera, singletary and guys like that make sense also. They can also raid guys from successful defenses especially in division like washburn in tenn or teerlink in indy. Whom ever they decide must be able to bring in coaches that can coach the positions the way he wants. The philosophy of that side needs to be established to mesh with the talent that's here now and in the future. We know some dc's like a certain type of player to play his style. Looking at the time it took the giants defense to adapt to the style of spags last yr tells you it takes time and talent. I personally like the ideas of say like lewis when he gets fired. I think he would like to get another 2 gapper lke okam and slide Okoye to the end spot like gb did with jenkins and giants did with tuck. I also like the diversity of teerlink from indy. He's coaching a 1 gap stunt front in indy, but he was a good coach with fisher also. Washburn has some 1 gap principles too, but he's a stunt front kind of guy to genate pressure. Theres a lot of good candidates, they just need get it right.