View Single Post
Old 09-30-2008   #17
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: New options for defensive coordinator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
If Bush is the guy Kubiak wants, why are the bothering with Smith? Are you telling me that it is because they don't want to buy him out? He is getting paid anyway, as is Bush. I don't buy it myself, I honestly believed if Smith wasn't the guy they wanted now, and the best they felt was available, that they would make a move.
I'm not trying to tell you anything, especially the reason(s) behind the 'loyalty' to Richard Smith in spite of 2+ seasons of sub-par defense.

Perhaps you're right and Smith is the best that they thought they could get. We will probably never know any truth outside of the official company press conference.

He was unproven when he got here, and he's proven nothing positive since he's been here. If talent is the problem, then he should be blamed for that, too, simply because he was part of the evaluation process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Frank Bush was Kubiak's original choice to be co-coordinator with Richard Smith, but the Cardinals wouldn't let him go. He had worked with Smith before back in the day.

Nothing in Bush's background that makes you go, gee, he's the guy to take us to the promised land:

2007-08: Senior Defensive Assistant, Houston Texans
2006: Asst. Head Coach/Linebackers, Arizona Cardinals
2004-05: Linebackers, Arizona Cardinals
2001-03: Special Teams, Denver Broncos
2000: Secondary/Nickel Package, Denver Broncos
1995-99: Linebackers, Denver Broncos
1992-94: Linebackers, Houston Oilers
1987-92: Scout, Houston Oilers
I didn't realize that he was the original choice to be co-coordinator. How many teams run a co-coordinator system? The whole approach seems flawed, and the results speak for themselves at the end of the day.

And I forgot Bush was part of the 35-3 debacle. He's tainted. It's bad juju to be here. Get rid of both of them and get a proven defensive coordinator (like successful teams do).

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
But if you're a crappy cook, you can make the most expensive and wonderful ingredients taste like chicken sh...

And I think there's talent on this team. I think there's talent on this defense and if they're used correctly, they can be good. We just have to use them to their strengths and try to hide their weaknesses. That's what every good coordinator does.
I feel the same way. I've seen too many examples in the NFL over the years where a new coach can breath fresh life into the same talent.