View Single Post
Old 09-18-2008   #28
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: In honor of Texans-Titans week....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar The Titan View Post
you wouldn't feel that way if the Texans could manage to the playoffs or ebb over .500. You come of really bitter there, needlessly I might add. You essentially said that I'm a bad guy by association because I endeared myself to a team that brought themselves here. Mayor Phil Bredesen, now Governor Bredesen was approached by Bud Adams. No one in Nashville lobbied anyone in Houston to pry the Oilers away. Bud did what he did for his own reasons respectable, indefensible or otherwise. To alledge that Tennesseans stole the Oilers is absolutely ludicrous. The fact is that Adams called Bredesen on the phone, introduced himself and gave him him a quick pitch. Bredesen hung up on Adams thinking the call was a hoax. This is true. Adams called back and assured that he was in fact who he said he was and that his idea was in all sincerity at which point talks were opened. Memphis did try a number of times to land an expansion team and the lost out on all their bids. The thing is that Adams was familiar with Tennessee as he had spent a great deal of time here doing business over the decades and he felt that the people here would embrace his brand of football as college football is enormously popular in this state. I do agree that had Nashville had ambition to land an expansion team they would not be successful. The market isn't commercially appealing enough for the NFL's New York office to give any serious consideration to.
Most Houston football fans would feel this way no matter what . Bud hired an accountant for a GM ( Ladd Herzog ) who was an embarrasment . he slapped a chronicle reporter , mooned a wedding party , refused to pay child support , but was good with money .

The Oilers of the late 80's ... thanks to Mike Holovak as the player personel man ... was as talented as any team in the league . The GM wanted a yes man for a coach and hired some DC named Jerry Glanville to lead this talented bunch . glanville responded by leaving tickets for Elvis .

No matter what I followed and rooted for the Oilers ... why ... cause I'm from Houston . When bud threatened to leave again after they gave into his request the first time 5 years before and after going 2-14 ... most folks agreed with Bob lanier and said ... good riddance .