Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   2013 Texans Draft Grades (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99921)

rmartin65 04-27-2013 04:28 PM

2013 Texans Draft Grades
 
I realize the draft is not done, but I doubt the Texans make a move to get into the 7th. If they do, I will revise accordingly.

Round 1, Pick 27- Clemson WR DeAndre “Nuke” Hopkins, 6’1” 214 lbs Grade: A+
We all knew receiver was a need, so the Texans went out and got and addressed it. Hopkins is a big receiver with strong hands, and will compete for every ball. He has good body control and thus runs fantastic routes, which allows him to get open despite not being a burner (though he certainly has adequate speed). While Hopkins may not have the upside of Hunter or Patterson, he is definitely a safer pick, and a surer bet to contribute right away. For a win-now team such as the Texans, that is a huge factor. However, Hopkins is not destined to be just a number 2 (as Woods or Allen may turn out). Hopkins has the raw physical gifts to become a true number 1 receiver. A+ pick, no doubt.

Round 2, Pick 57- South Carolina S D.J. Swearinger, 5’11” 208 lbs Grade: A
Swearinger will not only replace GQ, but will make us forget about him in a hurry. Swearinger is a smart kid and a ferocious hitter who will give the D some teeth. What prevents this pick from being an “A+” is that I think he will be a bit frustrating due to his propensity to get penalties, as well as his tendency to go for the big hit in lieu of just wrapping up the ball-carrier. Still, I am absolutely stoked about the pick.

Round 3, Pick 89- North Carolina OT Brennan Williams, 6’6” 318 lbs Grade: A
Another great pick by the Front Office. Williams is a pure RT prospect who can a real SOB out on the field. Long arms to keep pass rushers at bay, and can move pretty well (though not as well as, say, Brown). As an added bonus, Williams’ father played in the league for a long time. If there is a weakness, it is that he is a bit raw as a result of him being a starter for just a season and a half. With some good coaching, Williams can become a very good RT for the Texans.

Round 3, Pick 95- LSU OLB Sam Montgomery, 6’3” 262 lbs Grade: B
This pick is the first one that makes me a little nervous. There is no denying that Montgomery has talent- he does, in bushels. However, he is not going to be an elite pass-rusher, I just don’t see the explosion and bend that the elite guys have. I also have reservations about his ability to cover in space, but since there is little to no tape on that, I can’t really comment. Montgomery is a relentless player on the field though, and is a solid tackler with good instincts. It is unlikely that he will start this year (unless they do move either him or Reed to ILB), but he should see the field a solid amount as a rookie.

Round 4, Pick 124- UCONN OLB Trevardo Williams, 6’1” 241 lbs Grade: B
I like this pick, but I am cautious. Williams is very quick and explosive, but is raw (needs to learn pass rushing techniques) and needs gain some strength in his lower body. I highly doubt he ever becomes an every down player, as he is simply terrible against the run- gets swallowed by blockers, and does a poor job figuring out where the ball carrier is going. However, he can be a double digit sack guy coming in on passing situations.

Round 6, Pick 176- San Jose State OT David Quessenberry, 6’5” 302 lbs Grade: A
Quessenberry is a former TE that has tons of athletic talent, almost tailor-made for the ZBS. He also exhibits a nice nasty streak, which you want to see in OL prospects. However, the guy needs to beef up and to work on his technique, especially in pass protection. I definitely don’t expect him to do much this year, but in 2014 he should make for a great swing tackle. I do see buzz about him being a candidate to be moved inside, but I think he is a better fit at tackle. We will see though.

Round 6, Pick 195- Jacksonville State WR Alan Bonner, 5’10” 193 lbs Grade: F
Ugh. Disclaimer- I know next to nothing about this guy. If this bothers you, skip to the next pick. However, the fact that I knew nothing about the kid says something, as I have spent far too many hours scouting the draft. He has lackluster stats (at the FCS level, no less), and poor workout numbers. It’s a 6th, so it hardly affects the draft’s grade, but I would much rather have seen just about any other receiver taken here. Terrible pick in my opinion.

Round 6, Pick 198- Bowling Green NT Chris Jones, 6’2” 302 lbs Grade: B
I want to like this pick more than I do. It’s a NT, and Jones is a high effort player. However, I just can’t give more than a “B” here, and I think that is generous. I don’t see a lot of upside, but he should be a solid backup. You can’t really ask for more out of a 6th rounder.

Round 6, Pick 201- UCONN TE Ryan Griffin, 6’6” 261 lbs Grade: C
This grade is more a reflection of the position than the player. It’s not that I don’t think we could use a good TE- I want another top-notch guy- but that I don’t think Griffin improves the team that much. He is big and can do everything decently, but he is not ever going to be an elite blocker or receiver. I don’t hate the pick, but I am just not excited. And that is a “C” grade- the pick is just average.

Summary/Final Grade: A
Did you expect anything else? Hopkins, Swearinger, B. Williams, Montgomery and T. Williams will contribute immediately, while Quessenberry has long term potential. Sure the draft kind is nothing special near the end, but 6th rounders are not expected to do much. Very nice draft, could possibly be the best ever in franchise history.

Texn4life 04-27-2013 04:31 PM

Re: 2013 Texans Draft Grades
 
I won't grade every pick, but overall I'd give it an A-........ Still possibly the best we've ever had, but pick of the small school receiver over other guys with better potential keeps it from being an A+ for me.

ziggy29 04-27-2013 04:31 PM

Re: 2013 Texans Draft Grades
 
The picks after Quessenberry were questionable but that was deep into "garbage time" in the draft. From the first round pick down to the Quessenberry pick I like it a LOT.

Thorn 04-27-2013 04:35 PM

Re: 2013 Texans Draft Grades
 
Over all, we had a good draft and improved the team. Not every draft pick is going to make it anyway. I think we did good this draft.

Lurvinator11 04-27-2013 05:06 PM

Re: 2013 Texans Draft Grades
 
I plan on writing about it later tonight, but I have to say this draft deserves an A. I was a little disappointed with 2 of the 6th round picks, but they are 6th rounders. The DT, and Quessenberry save the 6th round. Overall, great draft.

Check out Seeing Red later tonight for my Blog.

eriadoc 04-27-2013 05:24 PM

Re: 2013 Texans Draft Grades
 
Of the picks that matter, only one concerns me, and that's Montgomery. That could be an A pick or an F. If he busts specifically because of bad football character, then it's terrible pick. If he busts for any number of other reasons, then it's still a great pick. They got a lot of talent for where he was drafted. Did they do their homework on his character? We'll find out.

Overall: A

The Pencil Neck 04-27-2013 05:27 PM

Re: 2013 Texans Draft Grades
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by eriadoc (Post 2158368)
Of the picks that matter, only one concerns me, and that's Montgomery. That could be an A pick or an F. If he busts specifically because of bad football character, then it's terrible pick. If he busts for any number of other reasons, then it's still a great pick. They got a lot of talent for where he was drafted. Did they do their homework on his character? We'll find out.

Overall: A

I like what Herring said about Montgomery, he's just a kid who's honest, a little naive, and he's got a big personality. He likes to talk and because he's honest, he doesn't even realize when he's saying things that hurt his cause.

I don't see that as the sort of character concern that's going to impact his on-field performance.

Goldensilence 04-27-2013 05:34 PM

Re: 2013 Texans Draft Grades
 
A- overall.

LOVED getting Hopkins, one of the most productive WR's last year in the NCAA. Short term is going to relieve some of the pressure from AJ. Long terms has the tools to turn into a #1 WR.

While immediately not familiar with Swearinger, I am really stoked about this pick. Just is going to fit in perfectly short and long term.

Brennan has what you want in a RT for this team.

Montgomery will probably contribute as a rotational player his first year at least.

Williams looks EXPLOSIVE and productive at Uconn, will he turn into something special is going to be up to the LB staff and him.

Quesenberry looks like a good long term prospect who can play multiple positions. Probably a better fit at tackle though.

Bonner, just really not a fan of this pick and not because I don't know enough. Kinda small, not elite speed, and unimpressive coming out of a small school. It's just looking like an uphill battle aside from the team deciding to keep six WRs to make the roster.

Jones could possibly come in and be a rotational DT.

It's not that I am unimpressed by Griffin it's just another TE that I don't see creating mismatches in the passing game.

Overall without a doubt A draft. I dunno if Gary got locked in a closet or what but no real gambles or smarter than you picks in the top of this draft. Just knowing your team it's scheme and finding players that fit EXACTLY what you're trying to do.

thunderkyss 04-27-2013 05:42 PM

Re: 2013 Texans Draft Grades
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by eriadoc (Post 2158368)
Of the picks that matter, only one concerns me, and that's Montgomery. That could be an A pick or an F. If he busts specifically because of bad football character, then it's terrible pick. If he busts for any number of other reasons, then it's still a great pick. They got a lot of talent for where he was drafted. Did they do their homework on his character?

I think the question is, "Are the Texans as smart as they think they are?"

Quote:

Originally Posted by eriadoc (Post 2158368)

We'll find out.

Ain't that the truth.

WolverineFan 04-27-2013 05:44 PM

Re: 2013 Texans Draft Grades
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck (Post 2158371)
I like what Herring said about Montgomery, he's just a kid who's honest, a little naive, and he's got a big personality. He likes to talk and because he's honest, he doesn't even realize when he's saying things that hurt his cause.

I don't see that as the sort of character concern that's going to impact his on-field performance.

I'm not worried about Montgomery's attitude. I think that stuff is overstated. I am worried about his ability to play OLB. He seems very stiff. I saw him as purely a 4-3 DE coming into the draft.

drs23 04-27-2013 05:48 PM

Re: 2013 Texans Draft Grades
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldensilence (Post 2158379)
A- overall.

LOVED getting Hopkins, one of the most productive WR's last year in the NCAA. Short term is going to relieve some of the pressure from AJ. Long terms has the tools to turn into a #1 WR. (1)


Overall without a doubt A draft. I dunno if Gary got locked in a closet or what but no real gambles or smarter than you picks in the top of this draft. (2) Just knowing your team it's scheme and finding players that fit EXACTLY what you're trying to do.

(1) Today and yesterday is the first I've heard here that my main man DeAndre can possibly become a #1. All during the mock draft he was talked about as having strictly a #2 ceiling. One quote I recall is "...he'll never be a number 1 but will be a solid #2 (pun intended)" I think that was from draftnik :corrosion:

(2) Wade did it. :cowboy1: :kitten:

rmartin65 04-27-2013 05:53 PM

Re: 2013 Texans Draft Grades
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by drs23 (Post 2158389)
(1) Today and yesterday is the first I've heard here that my main man DeAndre can possibly become a #1. All during the mock draft he was talked about as having strictly a #2 ceiling. One quote I recall is "...he'll never be a number 1 but will be a solid #2 (pun intended)" I think that was from draftnik :corrosion:

I said something along the lines of "he may never become a number1, but he will at least be a solid number 2". That was in reference to Woods though.

Playoffs 04-27-2013 05:55 PM

Re: 2013 Texans Draft Grades
 
Kubes on 610.

Texans will have a rookie minicamp because the rules have changed -- May 10, 11, 12.

Sounded like Bonner caught Kubes' attention at the Combine. "exceptional ball skills"

Sam Montgomery -- he visited the Texans, zero concerns about "effort"



.

Honoring Earl 34 04-27-2013 05:58 PM

Re: 2013 Texans Draft Grades
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Playoffs (Post 2158393)
Kubes on 610.

http://static7.bigstockphoto.com/thu...ge2/349457.jpg

beerlover 04-27-2013 06:11 PM

Re: 2013 Texans Draft Grades
 
What bothers me is they are completely off what most research out there suggests as bpa mentality. these strike me more as coaching decisions based on need which is ok if it all gels but if not then instead of say Giants approach (2 superbowls in last 5 years) taking bpa it's questionable. And it all starts with QB position that seems to be a pinata for us fans at least since inception.

When you draft a WR with all your options open, based off how best suited to your QB strengths then you remain a known quantity that can still be easily game planned. With that said Hopkins is a solid A. However he lacks elite speed/size ratio that Hunter will now provide for Tennessee.

Completely align with need to take a safety early to tool in behind Reed. Swearinger is a good one, a true safety better than GQ so yeah but they left themselves open for a team, of all teams the Ravens to scoop up Arthur Brown. Not acceptable. I'm not going to downgrade the player as much as the process itself, so close yet so far B.

Liked Brandon over Brennan here so that is that plus Texans picked up Quessenberry in 6th B.

Montgomery is a tweener who needs to develop, put on weight & kick inside. Developmental pick IMO C.

Really like Trevardo Williams. Pure pass rusher who I had mocked end of 3rd so excellent value as well hard worker who plays with passion & special teams addition A.

Quessenberry is a great fit for ZBS who can kick inside or out but feel he will replace Wade Smith in due time A+.

Bonner is a classic reach. Just a work in progress that would have been an undrafted free agent, makes no sense but I'll give him a chance D.

Chris Jones is gonna be what Chris Myers is to the OL. A solid player who can fill a dire need. Had him mocked to Texans in 7th but given need & fact Texans traded away the 7th the only option would have been to wait a couple more picks or until undrafted free agency A.

I thought if the Texans did address TE it would be late, but after passing on Paulson last year I just didn't want to put in the effort of suffer the heartbreak again. He is from a solid program & probably plug him right into PS depending on how well Supernaw who is developmentally way ahead at this point but good solid pick, yet leaves me somewhat empty given all the talent still on the board specifically LB C.

Texans did not take a ILB. Not only that they stayed pat in 2nd letting opportunistic Ravens sneak in & steal Arthur Brown is infuriating. I think all that late round movement is nothing more than posturing the real action needs to be done early to secure your most coveted targets for this there has to be a certain amount of blame to go around. Swearinger is not a bad consolation prize but adding Brown to Cushing would pay immediate dividends. Overall I would have to be a little harder on Texans than my friend 65 at least on initial impressions B.

Playoffs 04-27-2013 06:15 PM

Re: 2013 Texans Draft Grades
 
Rick Smith on -- working hard on UDFAs now.

Bonner -- return ability, great routes, great hands, great body control, in/out cuts efficiently

Williams -- can get around the edge

Quessenberry -- chip on his shoulder, finisher, nasty

Brooks Reed -- hopefully we don't need his inside versatility, but he has that

looking for 20+ UDFA signings in next hour or two

TEs/Griffin -- came here for visit, draft didn't fall where TEs they liked higher were available

kingtexan 04-27-2013 07:28 PM

Re: 2013 Texans Draft Grades
 
I think we will see the first three picks and the last two picks work out. Not sure about the others. Overall good draft. Filled need and got deeper.

badboy 04-27-2013 08:29 PM

Re: 2013 Texans Draft Grades
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rmartin65 (Post 2158315)
I realize the draft is not done, but I doubt the Texans make a move to get into the 7th. If they do, I will revise accordingly.

Round 1, Pick 27- Clemson WR DeAndre “Nuke” Hopkins, 6’1” 214 lbs Grade: A+
We all knew receiver was a need, so the Texans went out and got and addressed it. Hopkins is a big receiver with strong hands, and will compete for every ball. He has good body control and thus runs fantastic routes, which allows him to get open despite not being a burner (though he certainly has adequate speed). While Hopkins may not have the upside of Hunter or Patterson, he is definitely a safer pick, and a surer bet to contribute right away. For a win-now team such as the Texans, that is a huge factor. However, Hopkins is not destined to be just a number 2 (as Woods or Allen may turn out). Hopkins has the raw physical gifts to become a true number 1 receiver. A+ pick, no doubt.

Round 2, Pick 57- South Carolina S D.J. Swearinger, 5’11” 208 lbs Grade: A
Swearinger will not only replace GQ, but will make us forget about him in a hurry. Swearinger is a smart kid and a ferocious hitter who will give the D some teeth. What prevents this pick from being an “A+” is that I think he will be a bit frustrating due to his propensity to get penalties, as well as his tendency to go for the big hit in lieu of just wrapping up the ball-carrier. Still, I am absolutely stoked about the pick.

Round 3, Pick 89- North Carolina OT Brennan Williams, 6’6” 318 lbs Grade: A
Another great pick by the Front Office. Williams is a pure RT prospect who can a real SOB out on the field. Long arms to keep pass rushers at bay, and can move pretty well (though not as well as, say, Brown). As an added bonus, Williams’ father played in the league for a long time. If there is a weakness, it is that he is a bit raw as a result of him being a starter for just a season and a half. With some good coaching, Williams can become a very good RT for the Texans.

Round 3, Pick 95- LSU OLB Sam Montgomery, 6’3” 262 lbs Grade: B
This pick is the first one that makes me a little nervous. There is no denying that Montgomery has talent- he does, in bushels. However, he is not going to be an elite pass-rusher, I just don’t see the explosion and bend that the elite guys have. I also have reservations about his ability to cover in space, but since there is little to no tape on that, I can’t really comment. Montgomery is a relentless player on the field though, and is a solid tackler with good instincts. It is unlikely that he will start this year (unless they do move either him or Reed to ILB), but he should see the field a solid amount as a rookie.

Round 4, Pick 124- UCONN OLB Trevardo Williams, 6’1” 241 lbs Grade: B
I like this pick, but I am cautious. Williams is very quick and explosive, but is raw (needs to learn pass rushing techniques) and needs gain some strength in his lower body. I highly doubt he ever becomes an every down player, as he is simply terrible against the run- gets swallowed by blockers, and does a poor job figuring out where the ball carrier is going. However, he can be a double digit sack guy coming in on passing situations.

Round 6, Pick 176- San Jose State OT David Quessenberry, 6’5” 302 lbs Grade: A
Quessenberry is a former TE that has tons of athletic talent, almost tailor-made for the ZBS. He also exhibits a nice nasty streak, which you want to see in OL prospects. However, the guy needs to beef up and to work on his technique, especially in pass protection. I definitely don’t expect him to do much this year, but in 2014 he should make for a great swing tackle. I do see buzz about him being a candidate to be moved inside, but I think he is a better fit at tackle. We will see though.

Round 6, Pick 195- Jacksonville State WR Alan Bonner, 5’10” 193 lbs Grade: F
Ugh. Disclaimer- I know next to nothing about this guy. If this bothers you, skip to the next pick. However, the fact that I knew nothing about the kid says something, as I have spent far too many hours scouting the draft. He has lackluster stats (at the FCS level, no less), and poor workout numbers. It’s a 6th, so it hardly affects the draft’s grade, but I would much rather have seen just about any other receiver taken here. Terrible pick in my opinion.

Round 6, Pick 198- Bowling Green NT Chris Jones, 6’2” 302 lbs Grade: B
I want to like this pick more than I do. It’s a NT, and Jones is a high effort player. However, I just can’t give more than a “B” here, and I think that is generous. I don’t see a lot of upside, but he should be a solid backup. You can’t really ask for more out of a 6th rounder.

Round 6, Pick 201- UCONN TE Ryan Griffin, 6’6” 261 lbs Grade: C
This grade is more a reflection of the position than the player. It’s not that I don’t think we could use a good TE- I want another top-notch guy- but that I don’t think Griffin improves the team that much. He is big and can do everything decently, but he is not ever going to be an elite blocker or receiver. I don’t hate the pick, but I am just not excited. And that is a “C” grade- the pick is just average.

Summary/Final Grade: A
Did you expect anything else? Hopkins, Swearinger, B. Williams, Montgomery and T. Williams will contribute immediately, while Quessenberry has long term potential. Sure the draft kind is nothing special near the end, but 6th rounders are not expected to do much. Very nice draft, could possibly be the best ever in franchise history.

Pretty much agree with your eval word for word.

2. Like the pick but wanted more speed. Amerson went about where I expected. Grr! Should replace Reed when he leaves.

3. Hear is where I am pissed, we could have had Brandon Williams NT at 89 (Ravens traded to 94 to get him) and then went Brennan 95. I am okay with Montgomery but same reservations as you.

4. Trevardo is one trick pony but could be an awesome one.

6th delete Bonner and move other two up and select Beauharnais ILB at 201. Heck, Cobi Hamilton WR Ark at # 195 would have been smarter.

Final grade A

If they had drafted Beauharnais and Hamilton rather than Bonner and TE Griffin I would still be screaming.

TexansSeminole 04-27-2013 08:36 PM

Re: 2013 Texans Draft Grades
 
I give it an A. This is my favorite draft we have ever had, when looking at it on draft day.

I really like Hopkins for us. We got a safety in Swearinger that will play alot in our nickel and dime packages in the second round. Our 3rd rounders consist of a RT that could start sometime this year, and Montgomery who should see a decent amount of playing time if he does not start. Trevardo Williams looks like a nice developmental/backup OLB. I hear alot of good things about Quessenberry and it is always good to get better along the offensive line. The other 6th rounders make sense from a positional standpoint, who knows how they will turn out.

Porky 04-27-2013 08:39 PM

Re: 2013 Texans Draft Grades
 
My impressions are very close to Rmartin so I'm not going to go pick by pick to avoid a lot of repetition. But a couple of observations.

I'm a little worried about Montgomery but we'll see. Like someone else, I see a 4/3 end, but maybe he can convert. He has talent, so that's not a concern. Outside of that, I'm really liking the top end and middle of the draft.

In the later rounds, Mr. Q has a chance to be good in the ZBS, and I like his versatility. He has a chance to be a backup this year, worst case he goes to the PS. I think he at least is a good multi-position long term backup, but he has a chance to develop into a starter. But not sure where. But he was the best of the 6th rd.

The worst? Bonner is an F. And it's not because I've never heard of him. So what if he has good hands? He is from a tiny school, played against nobody, has below average measurables, etc. The reason I give it an F is even if he is better than I think in camp, he still has virtually no chance whatsoever of making the roster. Who could he possibly beat out? Best case is probably practice squad and that's probably pushing it. I want to see us draft guys that actually have a chance to make the roster. Wasted pick when better talent was available.

Overall, I'm a happy camper. I'm slightly less enthused than Rmartin. With my concerns about Montgomery, and the F of Bonner, I'll go B+. Having said that, I think they had an excellent draft and I'm pumped to see these guys in camp and the season.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger