Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Draft Grades Round 4 - Trevardo Williams (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99907)

LikeMike 04-27-2013 01:27 PM

Draft Grades Round 4 - Trevardo Williams

How do you grade our fourth round selection?

b0ng 04-27-2013 01:29 PM

Re: Draft Grades Round 4 - Trevardo Williams

Will be an OLB in this scheme. His college numbers are really good.

The Pencil Neck 04-27-2013 01:32 PM

I'm liking this pick.

He's a Wade guy. Fits what we do.

rmartin65 04-27-2013 01:33 PM

B. I like the player (he will put up sacks), but he is a one-dimensional edge rusher.

I would have preferred to see an ILB or NT, but they must not be highly rated by the FO. Or it means that Reed is for sure moving to ILB.

Vance87 04-27-2013 01:36 PM

Seems to be good value here. Good motor, maybe he and Braman can tear it up on ST.

Thorn 04-27-2013 01:45 PM

Good pick for late in the 4th round.

Brandon420tx 04-27-2013 01:47 PM

Wrong thread

Fili 04-27-2013 01:48 PM

Probably a special teamer. Quick but gets beat a lot by bigger tackles.

mariowillshine15 04-27-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fili (Post 2157793)
Probably a special teamer. Quick but gets beat a lot by bigger tackles.

I don't think you take a special teamer in the 4th. Has had 20 something sacks combined the last 2 years. He can get to the QB.

Brandon420tx 04-27-2013 01:53 PM

You take rotational players who also play special teams in the late 4th

Vance87 04-27-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon420tx (Post 2157810)
You take rotational players who also play special teams in the late 4th

Yes, at first glance a 3rd down pass rush guy that also pays ST.

Rey 04-27-2013 02:43 PM

I love the aggressiveness of this draft. These guys that we have taken ooze aggressiveness on film. Based on this draft id have to say that the texans have evolved in their evaluation process. These aren't just guys that have production. These aren't just guys with good numbers. These are guys that enjoy beasting their opponent. These are guys that are going to bring some attitude to the defense and offense.

I'm loving this draft.

The Pencil Neck 05-02-2013 06:35 PM

Pre-combine Trevardo Williams article.

Basically, I am so amazingly STOKED we got Trevardo Williams. I've been watching his tape and this guy is a BEAST. He's so freaking fast, it's ridiculous.

He was the fastest DE in the 40 at the Combine at 4.57. And would have been one of the faster OLBs in the 40. He also had the 3rd best vertical jump for all the DEs and OLBs.

And he was coming off a bad ankle and he wasn't sure how he'd do.

I think we got a bit of a steal here.

jppaul 05-03-2013 12:46 AM

I agree perhaps the most instant impact player we picked partially because his responsibilities will likely be a bit like Mark Anderson in his rookie year, ie get the qb.

beerlover 05-03-2013 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LikeMike (Post 2157722)
How do you grade our fourth round selection?

click on A, B, C, D or F just like any other pick & hit enter :spit:

Rey 05-03-2013 09:39 AM

Trevardo just needs to get a bit stronger in his upper body and to develop at least two good go-to moves. I'd like to see him learn to set Olinemen up better and use his speed even more to his advantage.

But I think he can instantly be of help to the team.

Honoring Earl 34 05-03-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rey (Post 2160751)
Trevardo just needs to get a bit stronger in his upper body and to develop at least two good go-to moves. I'd like to see him learn to set Olinemen up better and use his speed even more to his advantage.

But I think he can instantly be of help to the team.

Dude had 30 reps .

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...013&genpos=OLB

rmartin65 05-03-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 (Post 2160767)
Dude had 30 reps .

There is playing strength, and then there is weight room strength. However, I do also disagree with Rey. I think Williams lack of strength is a lack of lower body/core strength. If he strengths his legs/butt/core, we should see him playing up to those 30 reps.

I do agree with Rey as it pertains to pass rush moves though. Williams has one move- speed. He got away with just being faster in college, it wont work as well in the NFL.

Honoring Earl 34 05-03-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmartin65 (Post 2160771)
There is playing strength, and then there is weight room strength. However, I do also disagree with Rey. I think Williams lack of strength is a lack of lower body/core strength. If he strengths his legs/butt/core, we should see him playing up to those 30 reps.

I do agree with Rey as it pertains to pass rush moves though. Williams has one move- speed. He got away with just being faster in college, it wont work as well in the NFL.

All that's true but to me he's explosive hence the 38 inch vertical and the 30 reps . The magic number used to be if the bench , vertical , and broad jump added to 70 , then their an explosive athlete . He's at 78 , JJ Watt was 81 .

Rey 05-03-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 (Post 2160767)
Dude had 30 reps .

Playing football is not like bench pressing. Look at him on film and you can see that at times he struggles to use his arms to get off of linemen. Sometimes they just engulf him.

Bench Pressing is a repetitive motion at a light weight. The muscles involved and their function are different when it comes to fighting off blocks in the trenches.

A guy can maybe be really strong, but not do as many reps on the bench press if he doesn't have good muscle endurance. 225 isn't really heavy.

I'm not saying you can be a weakling and throw it up a bunch of times, but the guy with the most raw strength doesn't always put up the most reps in the 225lb reps.

All that said, just look at him on film. You can see that at times when the OL get their hands on him he struggles to get away from them. If he had more playing strength in his upper body it'd help him. That's going to require a range of upper body workouts besides bench. You need all those muscles because of the different angles and distribution of weight you put on your arms fighting off blocks. It's not just the bench press motion.