Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Draft Grade - Round 3/2 Sam Montgomery (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99890)

LikeMike 04-26-2013 09:27 PM

Draft Grade - Round 3/2 Sam Montgomery

How do you grade the second selection of the third round?

aussie_texan 04-26-2013 09:29 PM

Re: Draft Grade - Round 3/2 Sam Montgomery

Great value in the 3rd

Wolf6151 04-26-2013 09:32 PM

Never mind.

Playoffs 04-26-2013 09:34 PM

Inc. - I want to know why "so many" teams took him off their board after Combine interview?

Corrosion 04-26-2013 09:43 PM

I like the position and the guy obviously has talent but has questionmarks .... other players I would rather have had.

I give it a C-.

Rey 04-26-2013 09:49 PM

I gave it a B, but it could easily be an A.

He plays very strong, but I didn't see the burst that I wanted to see. But I like his film more than I liked Merciless' film.

Corrosion 04-26-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rey (Post 2157367)
I gave it a B, but it could easily be an A.

He plays very strong, but I didn't see the burst that I wanted to see. But I like his film more than I liked Merciless' film.

This could turn out to be their best pick of the draft ....He has a lot of talent , just character concerns.

So much for the Texans drafting choir boys .... :aggressive:

Fili 04-26-2013 09:57 PM

B-
I think we should have gone ILB rather than OLB/DE but I guess it indirectly affects ILB.

The Pencil Neck 04-26-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fili (Post 2157372)
B-
I think we should have gone ILB rather than OLB/DE but I guess it indirectly affects ILB.

This could mean that Brooks is going to bump inside to OLB or we could still get someone like Klein for ILB and use Montgomery in rotation with Reed and Mercilus. I expect us to take either another OLB or an ILB in the 4th.

Corrosion 04-26-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck (Post 2157409)
This could mean that Brooks is going to bump inside to OLB or we could still get someone like Klein for ILB and use Montgomery in rotation with Reed and Mercilus. I expect us to take either another OLB or an ILB in the 4th.

They are really thin at both LBer spots .... and outside of the rookie pool dont have a whole lot of $$ left to spend.
I think its almost a guarantee that they take at least one more LBer either inside or out.

They also need another defensive lineman with Cody gone and so many others coming back from injury.

Hope they land Klein with their next pick - they may need to move up some to make that happen.

The Pencil Neck 04-26-2013 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrosion (Post 2157414)
Hope they land Klein with their next pick - they may need to move up some to make that happen.

I was really hoping we'd get Bostic in the 3rd. But when he got gobbled up so quick (along with all the other high ranking ILBs), I was sad.

Now it's almost Klein or we have to move Brooks Reed inside and pick up some more outside rushers.

Nico Johnson worries me because of his weakness against the pass.

Honoring Earl 34 04-26-2013 10:45 PM

I gave it an A because there was a time when the Texans would not have taken a chance . This pick is well worth the risk .

mariowillshine15 04-26-2013 10:49 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...9716--nfl.html

#38 on the Shutdown Corner top 50

jppaul 04-26-2013 10:51 PM

I really really like him at the point of attack, I think he stacks and sheds better than any DE/OLB in this class. He has great short area quickness and burst, I question his ability to play in space, looks a little lost out there in man coverage when he is trailing for 20 yards or more. Also, his reaction time off snap looked mediocre at best (Disclaimer: I don't know if that was scheme driven because Alabama was hashing them with counters and inside draws). A lot of upside if he can loosen up the hips and tighten up his reaction time.

76Texan 04-27-2013 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jppaul (Post 2157436)
I really really like him at the point of attack, I think he stacks and sheds better than any DE/OLB in this class. He has great short area quickness and burst, I question his ability to play in space, looks a little lost out there in man coverage when he is trailing for 20 yards or more. Also, his reaction time off snap looked mediocre at best (Disclaimer: I don't know if that was scheme driven because Alabama was hashing them with counters and inside draws). A lot of upside if he can loosen up the hips and tighten up his reaction time.

I think it's the scheme. I've noticed it before. I wanted to study it some more but the mock draft didn't allow me much time. I picked him for the Lions early in the second round 'cause I figure he'd be good next to those guys; little do I know the Texans were to get him. I know I've seen Lavar Edwards do the same (sometimes) when he came in as the swing guy.
I think I've seen Montgomery play OLB in their 52 as well.

rmartin65 04-27-2013 07:32 AM

Solid B in my opinion. Talent and need-wise I would give it an A, but I hate off the field concerns. Also not an overly explosive guy, which you want to see in a pass-rusher, so I dont think he will ever be considered elite in that regard. However, he should become a good pro (starter) for the Texans in a year or two.

EDIT- forgot to add that I don't see issues about his effort. He looked relentless in the couple games I caught.

dalemurphy 04-27-2013 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmartin65 (Post 2157524)
Solid B in my opinion. Talent and need-wise I would give it an A, but I hate off the field concerns. Also not an overly explosive guy, which you want to see in a pass-rusher, so I dont think he will ever be considered elite in that regard. However, he should become a good pro (starter) for the Texans in a year or two.

EDIT- forgot to add that I don't see issues about his effort. He looked relentless in the couple games I caught.

The LSU Strength and Conditioning coach had serious issues with his work ethic and effort. I agree that he looks like an intense player on the field. However, this certainly raises concerns about his effort in preparation:

Here

LikeMike 04-27-2013 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dalemurphy (Post 2157528)
The LSU Strength and Conditioning coach had serious issues with his work ethic and effort. I agree that he looks like an intense player on the field. However, this certainly raises concerns about his effort in preparation:

Here

Well, he wouldn`t have fell to us if it weren`t for those concerns. But there are two things, that help me relax a little:

1. As far as Ive read, the coaches changed his stance on him later - appearently you get on this list for missing one practice. And he improved his work ethic later. Plus: he looks good on film.

2. Our locker room: guys like JJ Watt or Cushing lead by example - AND they will let him know if they are not cool with his work ethic. I think our locker room is the perfect place for a player, with a little problem with his work ethic.

In the end it is a bit of a gamble. But when you have the chance to grab a first round talent at the end of round 3 and are convinced you can correct his problems, I am ok with this pick.

dalemurphy 04-27-2013 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LikeMike (Post 2157533)
Well, he wouldn`t have fell to us if it weren`t for those concerns. But there are two things, that help me relax a little:

1. As far as Ive read, the coaches changed his stance on him later - appearently you get on this list for missing one practice. And he improved his work ethic later. Plus: he looks good on film.

I have not seen this. That does make me feel better about it... If that is a motivational tactic that LSU uses and not a sign created especially for this group of 10 misfits. Do you have a link or source where you learned this?

LikeMike 04-27-2013 07:54 AM

Sure, here it is:

http://deadspin.com/5971949/heres-th...te-his-players

There is a twitter pic from his coach saying:

Tommy Moffitt @TommyMoffitt

@ChaddScott The pic from office window is old news. These guys had all missed a class. Great kids and hard workers. #tigertough #LSU