Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Draft Grade - Round 1 DeAndre Hopkins (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99866)

LikeMike 04-25-2013 11:37 PM

Draft Grade - Round 1 DeAndre Hopkins

What grade do you give the Texans for their first round selection?

Corrosion 04-25-2013 11:38 PM

Re: Draft Grade - Round 1 DeAndre Hopkins

A+

They had their pick of the WR's and got the best of the group slated to go in round 1.

eriadoc 04-25-2013 11:39 PM

With the caveat that one year's A grade doesn't match another year's, I give them an A. They had their pick of WR and they didn't screw around.

JCTexan 04-25-2013 11:43 PM

My grade for the pick is an A. Outside of Austin, They had their choice of WR's. I have to think they got the man they coveted.

LikeMike 04-25-2013 11:45 PM

Here is Walter Footballs grade:

Houston Texans (Last Year: 12-4)

2013 NFL Draft Individual Grades:

27. DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson: A Grade
Charlie and I were told the Texans would draft Justin Hunter - but only if DeAndre Hopkins was off the board. Hopkins was discussed to be a candidate for No. 14 overall to the Panthers, so we figured that he wouldn't be available. Well, the Texans lucked out and got their man. Hopkins is a sound, pro-ready receiver who should be able to step in immediately as the starter across from Andre Johnson.

badboy 04-25-2013 11:47 PM

Other than the hotel room incident, I really like this pick. Should start WR 2 and imo could be eventual WR1. His pro day he got a 4.46 and 4.41 which is much better than combine. He appears to be most NFL ready and our strengthening coaches should pump him up. Now let's go get OLB/ILB/NT/and a safety.

Playoffs 04-25-2013 11:48 PM

A++

My favorite for us. AJ, Jr.

GP 04-25-2013 11:49 PM

You give an "A" for these reasons:

1.) Andre Johnson is getting older,

2.) Schaub is losing weapons AND needing that help ASAP (remember December? And the Patriots playoff game where James Casey dropped a sure TD right in his hands?).

3.) From what I've read leading up to the draft, Tavon Austin was going to be the first WR taken...no surprise he went early on in Round 1. Which means...

4.) Some team is going to start the run on the remaining WRs, and we did just that by selecting Hopkins.

Is he going to STAY an "A" grade? I dunno. Lots of people were high on Keyshawn Martin in camp, and in preseason, and he sort of clammed up in the reg season.

I gave it an "A."

Honoring Earl 34 04-25-2013 11:51 PM

That's who I was leaning toward .

Ryan 04-25-2013 11:53 PM

First time i've been pumped about a Texans 1st rounder since we took Cushing.

mussop 04-25-2013 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrosion (Post 2156234)
A+

They had their pick of the WR's and got the best of the group slated to go in round 1.

Felt bad for taking him in the TT Mock. New you would take him for the Texans but I like him alot. He is the only WR I wanted at 27 after I got Patterson out of my head.

The1ApplePie 04-25-2013 11:55 PM

B, though very close to an A. Glade a weapon was added.

Really glad it wasn't Teo

drs23 04-25-2013 11:56 PM

I voted A because there wasn't an A++ choice. I'v been on his bandwagon for a while. First time my guy has been picked! Great choice and day 1 starter. Great call Rick!

Playoffs 04-26-2013 12:00 AM

Great friggin night! Draft falls for us to get our pick of the little WR,

And Jerruh made the night all that much better by reaching down into the 3rd round for their pick. :lol:

:fans:

Lucky 04-26-2013 12:00 AM

I give it a solid B. They filled a need and didn't take a lot of risk. They got a day one starter who should plug in and produce good numbers immediately. I don't see Hopkins as a Pro Bowler, that's what keeps me from giving an A.

jppaul 04-26-2013 12:01 AM

Not super excited but a very solid pick, just not a game changer for me, but hey I felt the exact same way about Watt, two years ago. Based on that it is a homerun, I guess I just prefer more of a gamble in a first rounder, right or wrong.

DocBar 04-26-2013 12:01 AM

I'm going to go with a B. I think there were better choices at need positions, but I'm good with this pick. I hope he's a hard worker and ends up being the Texans best receiver ever. That would be one hell of an accomplishment.

rmartin65 04-26-2013 12:04 AM

A+. We needed a wide receiver, and he is a great balance of potential and floor. I am excited to see this guy's career unfold.

Hervoyel 04-26-2013 12:09 AM

I'm good with the pick. I wanted a WR if there were any good ones left at our spot and it turned out that we damn near had our pick of good ones. We chose one of the guys I thought would be a good fit so I'm happy.

Now it's time to see how the rest of the draft unfolds. The next three rounds are where we need to come through and find some immediate contributors.

TexansSeminole 04-26-2013 12:10 AM

I give it an A. It was the guy I wanted. I think he fits what we do on offense very well and has shown that he can beat NFL caliber corners. Good run after catch, strength to make the difficult catches over the middle or on poor throws. Look at the LSU, FSU, and NCState games. He can play now and contribute now, in my opinion.

I'm ecstatic!