Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   With the 27th pick in the draft, the Houston Texans select... (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99803)

Tailgate 04-22-2013 08:00 PM

With the 27th pick in the draft, the Houston Texans select...

Who ya got and why?

Poll now complete and moved to college football???? The draft is like 2 days away! Boooo! =)

badboy 04-22-2013 08:04 PM

Re: With the 27th pick in the draft, the Houston Texans select...

NT Hankins but I am hoping for trade down to second picking up another third.

kingtexan 04-22-2013 08:05 PM

BPA

2slik4u 04-22-2013 08:13 PM

I put Patterson. Mainly because that's who I think we are getting. Not to thrilled with anyone at our position.

Looks like thems the breaks when you put together a preceding playoff season...

mussop 04-22-2013 08:52 PM

God I want a NT in the first in the worst way. However if all these guys were available I would go with the least sexy pick in cooper. He's a 10 to 12 year starter and pro bowler for us. Don't see anyone else on that list that can compete with that.

Honoring Earl 34 04-22-2013 09:10 PM

DeAndre Hopkins, WR Clemson because he's more polished than the Tennessee guys and it's time the Texans spent a 1st on a WR .

HJam72 04-22-2013 09:23 PM

Mostly, I just hope it really is the BPA. Next, I kind of hope it is a WR.

Dutchrudder 04-22-2013 09:26 PM

I'm going with Kevin Minter. I think we go LB in the 1st, WR 2nd, OT/OG, NT in the 3rd, S in 4th, and whatever after that.

Wolf6151 04-22-2013 10:18 PM

DeAndre Hopkins. Safest WR pick in the draft. He may not have the ceiling of Patterson but he sure has a much higher floor. Also although I sure wouldn't mind Kawann Short at #27, I think we can get Jesse Williams in the 2nd and I'd be happy with that as well.

The1ApplePie 04-22-2013 10:27 PM

I might have to put my USC fanboy hat on and say Woods, though a trade down and Woods would be ideal.

badboy 04-22-2013 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutchrudder (Post 2154346)
I'm going with Kevin Minter. I think we go LB in the 1st, WR 2nd, OT/OG, NT in the 3rd, S in 4th, and whatever after that.

Depending on the players that would be a very good draft. Waiting to hit on a need in a later round is so risky, I tend to want to avoid that. For example, if I knew B. Williams NT would be there #89, I would be ecstatic. Minter is good but not the physical tackler I want. He had 111 tackles '12 but not sure if he holds up in NFL playing as he did for LSU. As you know, you cannot look just at size. Minter is right there with Klein, Te'o and Beauharnais, just not sure if same type of player. I mocked Minter early but backed up from him just a bit as season wore on. I could be wrong but I am concerned about him. He is very cerebral though and that could make him very good. I guess for me it is better to use a later round pick for similar player for a position rather than gamble on a first.

RT22 04-22-2013 10:56 PM

I like Cyprien S FIU. He seems like a good fit for the Texans scheme.

steelbtexan 04-22-2013 11:11 PM

Datone Jones or Damontre Moore

The need a premium pass rusher to take some of the pressure off of Watt.

Hopefully Short for the reasons stated above.

badboy 04-22-2013 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf6151 (Post 2154365)
DeAndre Hopkins. Safest WR pick in the draft. He may not have the ceiling of Patterson but he sure has a much higher floor. Also although I sure wouldn't mind Kawann Short at #27, I think we can get Jesse Williams in the 2nd and I'd be happy with that as well.

Hopkins has dropped (motel incident?) & so has Short. Wished there was a way we could get a NT and Short.

#27 for a second and third:

2nd round WR Hopkins or Twill and DT Kawaan Short (can play nose some but a off DT is best position)replaces Smith 2014.

3rd round a) NT Brandon Williams b) OLB Cornelius Washington c) WR Aaron Dobson

4th round CB/safety Terry Hawthorne

5th round ILB Steve Beuaharnais or Klein if still there.

Nawzer 04-22-2013 11:44 PM

I picked Manti Te'o because you get 2 players for 1. Him and his imaginary girlfriend who I assume is also a ILB.

aussie_texan 04-22-2013 11:44 PM

justin hunter

Rey 04-22-2013 11:57 PM

Margus hunt. If he's not available Cornelius Carradine. Hunt is physically as gifted as any d line prospect you'll find. Plus he's a good football player with a good motor. He plays with a lot of energy. Even though he's 6'8" he plays with good leverage and good strength. Hunt is about as freakish an athlete as there is. But unlike some other guys, his athleticism translates to the football field. I think if Hunt was in a better conference or played more football he'd be a top 10 pick easily.

Hunt would be a rotation player this year and eventually replace Antonio.

I would even play some three man fronts with smith watt and hunt all in at once.

badboy 04-23-2013 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rey (Post 2154400)
Margus hunt. If he's not available Cornelius Carradine. Hunt is physically as gifted as any d line prospect you'll find. Plus he's a good football player with a good motor. He plays with a lot of energy. Even though he's 6'8" he plays with good leverage and good strength. Hunt is about as freakish an athlete as there is. But unlike some other guys, his athleticism translates to the football field. I think if Hunt was in a better conference or played more football he'd be a top 10 pick easily.

Hunt would be a rotation player this year and eventually replace Antonio.

I would even play some three man fronts with smith watt and hunt all in at once.

Hunt over Kawan Short to replace Smith?

Rey 04-23-2013 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 2154404)
Hunt over Kawan Short to replace Smith?

Short is a nice player but he doesn't have near the ceiling that hunt has. I think if we got hunt at the end of the first it'd be a steal, whereas I think shorts value is late first early second.

I like shorts game, but he can't do a lot of the things hunt can do just from a pure ability standpoint. Hunts ceiling is very, very high.

I've gone back and forth over the last couple months and if we stay at 27 I think hunt provides the most value to this team in the short and long term.

mussop 04-23-2013 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rey (Post 2154415)
Short is a nice player but he doesn't have near the ceiling that hunt has. I think if we got hunt at the end of the first it'd be a steal, whereas I think shorts value is late first early second.

I like shorts game, but he can't do a lot of the things hunt can do just from a pure ability standpoint. Hunts ceiling is very, very high.

I've gone back and forth over the last couple months and if we stay at 27 I think hunt provides the most value to this team in the short and long term.

The bolded is confusing to me. What is it that Hunt can do that Short cant? Right now Short is head Nd shoulders above Hunt in every aspect of the game. The only thing Hunt has on Short at this point is that he's a better athlete. There's reall no comparison in the two as far as what they are capable of doing on the football field.

Hunt is a project player. There is a huge gamble in taking him. Great athletes dont always translate to great players. You can say he has a higher ceiling based on his physical abilities but at the same time you have to realize he has a way lower floor. He is similar to Okoye when we drafted him. Not sure at this point we should be gambling on upside. IMO we need to go for more experienced guys that have proven themselves consistently against top competition.