Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Top 5 Best and Worst Draft picks in Texans History (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99668)

Lurvinator11 04-13-2013 10:32 PM

Top 5 Best and Worst Draft picks in Texans History

NFL.com will be doing a piece on the top 5 best and worst picks for our team on April 22nd. I couldn't wait that long, so I did my own list.

This is just my own opinion, so feel free to list your own opinions on how the list goes.

http://houstontexanfansr.blogspot.co...aft-picks.html

Hope you enjoy!

STEEL BLUE TEXANS 04-13-2013 10:45 PM

Re: Top 5 Best and Worst Draft picks in Texans History

Charles Hill has to be one of our worst draft picks. Tony Hollings as well.

ChampionTexan 04-13-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lurvinator11 (Post 2150860)
NFL.com will be doing a piece on the top 5 best and worst picks for our team on April 22nd. I couldn't wait that long, so I did my own list.

This is just my own opinion, so feel free to list your own opinions on how the list goes.

http://houstontexanfansr.blogspot.co...aft-picks.html

Hope you enjoy!

Edit

Wolf 04-13-2013 11:00 PM

Tony hollings came to mind

Nfl and texan doctors saying Boselli was ready to go HAS to be number 1

Lurvinator11 04-14-2013 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf (Post 2150866)
Tony hollings came to mind

Nfl and texan doctors saying Boselli was ready to go HAS to be number 1

I didn't include the expansion draft. I agree Boselli would have gone high, but it was the expansion draft, and not the college draft. I just wanted to do the College draft, since that is what is coming up.

Lurvinator11 04-14-2013 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS (Post 2150862)
Charles Hill has to be one of our worst draft picks. Tony Hollings as well.

I didn't put Hollings on the list, due to him being selected in the Supplemental draft.

As for Charles Hill, I actually had no memory of him. Remember, I was a bit younger in 2002 :kitten:

I give him somewhat of a break though, due to the fact that we had 12 picks in the draft that season. I know you never want to waste a draft pick, but with the amount we had that season, since we were new, it didn't hurt as bad as taking a first rounder like Travis Johnson, and Babin.

The Pencil Neck 04-14-2013 12:53 AM

I can't see putting Anthony Hill on that list. He was a 4th round TE drafted to be a blocking TE. The fact that he was injured and didn't see the field a lot doesn't bother me in the least.

I would have put Carr, Morency, Ragone, Charles Hill, and guys like that on there before a 4th round blocking TE.

eriadoc 04-14-2013 01:54 AM

On Jason Babin - I maintained at the time that Casserly properly identified a talent there. But trading away picks to move up and grab him, then misusing him for four years, was the biggest part of the problem. Babin had somewhat questionable character as well. But he did go on to have a couple great seasons that showed what he had the talent to do - 30 or so sacks in two seasons. That the Texans never developed and/or utilized that talent was just one more failure of a terrible HC/GM tandem.

To me, Amobi Ok0ye has to be in the top 5 worst, not only because of where he was drafted and how poorly he performed to that expectation, but also because of who the team passed on and the fact that the team was not good enough to be taking on development projects in the first round (early first, too) at that point.

Lurvinator11 04-14-2013 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eriadoc (Post 2150879)

To me, Amobi Ok0ye has to be in the top 5 worst, not only because of where he was drafted and how poorly he performed to that expectation, but also because of who the team passed on and the fact that the team was not good enough to be taking on development projects in the first round (early first, too) at that point.

Which is why I have him as number 4. :kitten:

Lurvinator11 04-14-2013 02:15 AM

So I guess everyone agrees with my top 5 best draft picks, right?

powda 04-14-2013 02:18 AM

Bennie joppru has to be in the conversation. A very high 2nd round pick who did next to nothing. Hill is there. Ragone. Hollings. Okye and t Johnson are about even in performance so I give the edge to okoye based on draft position.

Molden would be up there but he's a 3rd round pick. His only competition by that criteria is Ragone whom was drafted when we had carr and sage...he was a luxury pick on a team desperate for talent. Looking back its amazing how much casserly f*cked this team up.

TEXANRED 04-14-2013 10:02 AM

Can you do a top 5 worst pick for this team? The entire 07 draft class (except Jones) and 08 (except Brown) were busts.

5 worst individuals? Well:

1) David Carr
2) Charles Hill
3) Seth Wand
4) Bennie Joppru
5) DeVier Posey

Special mention: Antwaun Molden, Jason Babin, Travis Johnson, Amobi Okoye, Charles Spencer, and Vernand Morency.

I put Posey on there because he was out of football for the 2011 season, basically out until the end of last season, blows out his MCL, will be out next season. So 3 seasons of no football? This is the NFL, you can't do that. A waste of a 3rd round pick.

Top 5 Best:

1) JJ Watt
2) Andre Johnson
3) Brian Cushing
4) Duane Brown
5) Kareem Jackson

Honorable mention: Mario Williams, DeMeco Ryans, Owen Danials.

GP 04-14-2013 10:10 AM

1. Carr
2. Joppru
3. Okoye
4. Travis Johnson
5. Ragone

Wolf 04-14-2013 11:58 AM

Felt bad for Joppru at the time. He had no injury history when we drafted him.IIRC

Put some salt in the wound...Jason whitten was drafted #69 in the 3rd round that year

However I doubt his career would be like it was being hwwsnn was Qb'ing for the fiirst few years

Wolf 04-14-2013 12:01 PM

As far as best picks

1) Andre Johnson (thank you Detroit)
2) JJ Watt
3) Brian Cushing
4) Demeco Ryans
5) Duane Brown

tru80texan 04-14-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lurvinator11 (Post 2150883)
So I guess everyone agrees with my top 5 best draft picks, right?

The way most seem to be replying, it seems they agree w/ your best & worst list. Not sure too many are looking at the link you provided.

I do think Babin caught a raw deal here as it was obvious he wasn't a 3-4 lb, so he was evaluated improperly by Casserly/ Capers & then he never got an opportunity w/ Kubiak imo. He was the former regimes player in Kubiak's eyes & they were weeding them out unless your name was Andre Johnson. Babin has had a decent career, so he is a playwright that has talent.

Winston was a good pick imo, but I'm not sure who I would replace w/ him, but I think he was worth noting considering the round he was selected & his contribution.

False Start 04-14-2013 12:36 PM

No mention of Travis Johnson......:toropalm:

The Pencil Neck 04-14-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by False Start (Post 2150922)

He was #2 on the original list.

Lurvinator11 04-14-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by False Start (Post 2150922)

Yeah, he was No.2 on my list. Had Joppru not been around, Johnson easily would have been number one.

infantrycak 04-14-2013 03:36 PM

Seems to me you need to distinguish between best and worst choice v. result. There was nothing wrong with the choice to draft Joppru but the result sucked.