Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Life Without Schaub: What if? (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99557)

CloakNNNdagger 04-06-2013 08:30 AM

Life Without Schaub: What if?

Interesting to look at "what might have been"............and who would have been our QB, if history had taken a different turn.
Quote:

Jets were mad about Matt Schaub

QB who could've saved Gang from Favre, Sanchez will instead be Monday foe

Updated: October 6, 2012, 1:06 PM ET

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- On Monday night, the football-watching world will get a chance to see the player the New York Jets once hoped would be their quarterback of the future.

Matt Schaub of the Houston Texans.

What, you thought it was a snarky reference to Mark Sanchez?

In 2006, the Jets were hot for Schaub, a promising young backup with the Atlanta Falcons. With Chad Pennington coming off his second shoulder operation, the Jets' new regime at the time -- general manager Mike Tannenbaum and coach Eric Mangini -- wanted a long-term solution at quarterback.

Little-known fact: They targeted Schaub, offering defensive end John Abraham to the Falcons in a straight-up deal, Mangini revealed.

"We tried like hell to get him," Mangini said recently in a phone interview.

Schaub was playing behind Michael Vick and had started only two games in two seasons, but his potential intrigued the Jets. At the time, it seemed like a lopsided proposal. Not many teams would consider dealing a proven pass-rusher in his prime, but the Jets didn't want to commit to Abraham, who had the franchise tag, had some off-the-field issues and was seeking a monster contract.

The negotiations turned contentious. Eventually, the Jets traded Abraham to the Falcons for the 29th pick in the draft, which Atlanta acquired from the Denver Broncos. The Jets used the pick to draft Nick Mangold after trying unsuccessfully to deal it to the San Diego Chargers for running back Michael Turner -- another little-known fact.

It's hard to second-guess the move because Mangold is one of the top centers in the league, but what if?

What if Mangini had pried Schaub away from the Falcons? The alternate history probably would've unfolded like this:

Mangini said the Jets would've kept Pennington in 2006, which turned out to be a terrific year for him. In 2007, it probably would've been Pennington and Schaub. But by 2008, it would've been Schaub's show.

Which means there never would've been a trade for Brett Favre in 2008.

And there never would've been a need to draft Sanchez in 2009.

Chances are, Schaub would be playing quarterback for the Jets, not the undefeated Texans, on Monday night at MetLife Stadium.
REST OF THE STORY

dream_team 04-06-2013 11:59 AM

So where's the "what if" part for the Texans if we didn't trade for Schaub? Would have we kept Carr around? Would we have drafted Brady Quinn? Would Sage have taken over the starting role? What you think?

The Pencil Neck 04-06-2013 01:24 PM

Re: Life Without Schaub: What if?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dream_team (Post 2148379)
So where's the "what if" part for the Texans if we didn't trade for Schaub? Would have we kept Carr around? Would we have drafted Brady Quinn? Would Sage have taken over the starting role? What you think?

I think Carr would have stayed around. We would have drafted someone like Trent Edwards in the second round, assuming we didn't draft Kevin Kolb in the first instead of Amobi Okoye. Let's say we went with the Kolb option.

There would have been an open competition for the QB position and I think Sage would have won it. Sage would have gotten injured during the season and Kubiak would have given Carr one more shot... and he failed. So Kubiak would have brought Kolb in and Kolb would have done OK.

The next year, Carr would have been released and again we go with the open competition at QB. This time, Kolb wins and he's anointed the future of the franchise. And he would have gotten injured and the next few seasons would have been juggling Kolb and Sage. And Kubiak would have been fired after 4 seasons.

And then in 2010, we would have a new coach and we'd have drafted Tim Tebow. And now, in 2013, we'd have another new coach and we'd be looking at Geno Smith or EJ Manuel.

powda 04-06-2013 01:56 PM

That's a disturbing chain of events you project pneck. Let's go all the way back to the carr selection over JULIUS FREAKING PEPPERS. If that selection doesn't happen Schaub probably isn't here either.

badboy 04-06-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powda (Post 2148394)
That's a disturbing chain of events you project pneck. Let's go all the way back to the carr selection over JULIUS FREAKING PEPPERS. If that selection doesn't happen Schaub probably isn't here either.

What if left tackle Tony Boseli had healed enough to start from game one? Maybe Carr would not have set record for most QB sacks ever.

powda 04-06-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 2148410)
What if left tackle Tony Boseli had healed enough to start from game one? Maybe Carr would not have set record for most QB sacks ever.

And or if willie roaf had passed his physical.

dc_txtech 04-06-2013 03:33 PM

If my aunt had a shlong she would be my uncle.

powda 04-06-2013 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dc_txtech (Post 2148412)

So your uncles live in montrose?

IBleedTexans 04-06-2013 05:23 PM

Quote:

Well that escalated quickly didn't it.....:kitten:

Playoffs 04-06-2013 05:35 PM

So, this could be us?

http://big.assets.huffingtonpost.com/sanchez.gif

Texan_Bill 04-06-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Playoffs (Post 2148433)

Sadly............ YES!! That could be us. :gun: Although I don't think it would ever happen.

Quote:

What if?
What if Joe Montana was the QB? What if "Dr. Doom" was a apart of this linebacking crew? What if...... Indeed.

brakos82 04-06-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powda (Post 2148428)
So your uncles live in montrose?

I would just like to say, I recently visited Montrose.

It may be the 4th or 5th strangest neighborhood by Seattle standards. :kitten:

Hardcore Texan 04-06-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Tried to rep that but MSR.

Brisco_County 04-06-2013 11:54 PM

Interesting article. Anything that undermines the Jets is a good thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by powda (Post 2148394)

People forget that 2002 was a terrible draft for QB's. There were no options. David Garrard was the best QB out of that class.

powda 04-06-2013 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brisco_County (Post 2148491)
Interesting article. Anything that undermines the Jets is a good thing.

People forget that 2002 was a terrible draft for QB's. There were no options. David Garrard was the best QB out of that class.

Tony Banks for a year?

Lucky 04-06-2013 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dream_team (Post 2148379)

I think the Texans would have still released Carr, Kubiak was through with him. The Texans would have traded for Jake Plummer who would have "un-retired" to play under his former OC. And the Texans would have drafted a QB at some point. Don't know who or when.

GP 04-07-2013 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky (Post 2148494)
I think the Texans would have still released Carr, Kubiak was through with him. The Texans would have traded for Jake Plummer who would have "un-retired" to play under his former OC. And the Texans would have drafted a QB at some point. Don't know who or when.

IIRC, Jake retired while still under contract with the Bucs (due to Gruden's "I'll Stash 12 QBs!" strategy.

I don't think Jake would have been available even if he un-retired, he'd be property of the Bucs (maybe there was a one-year rule, where he sits out for a year and then become a FA????).

This rule, IIRC, is to keep a disgruntled player from simply "retiring" and then un-retiring so that he could be a FA and play for some other team.

dc_txtech 04-07-2013 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GP (Post 2148500)
IIRC, Jake retired while still under contract with the Bucs (due to Gruden's "I'll Stash 12 QBs!" strategy.

I don't think Jake would have been available even if he un-retired, he'd be property of the Bucs (maybe there was a one-year rule, where he sits out for a year and then become a FA????).

This rule, IIRC, is to keep a disgruntled player from simply "retiring" and then un-retiring so that he could be a FA and play for some other team.

That's why we would have had to trade for him, like Lucky mentioned. Probably wouldn't have cost much to get Jake Plummer at that point in his career.

Lurvinator11 04-07-2013 01:27 AM

http://houstontexanfansr.blogspot.co...-volume-1.html

Wrote a little blog on this subject.

Take a look, if you want. It just discusses what direction we could have taken from the draft, or free agency, had we not gotten Schaub.

infantrycak 04-07-2013 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lurvinator11 (Post 2148503)
http://houstontexanfansr.blogspot.co...-volume-1.html

Wrote a little blog on this subject.

Take a look, if you want. It just discusses what direction we could have taken from the draft, or free agency, had we not gotten Schaub.

If I can make a suggestion it would be to embed links for particularly important assertions, for instance in this one the Jets wanting Schaub and Kyle wanting Beck in the 1st.