Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Slauson Wants to Apologize to Cushing (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99432)

CloakNNNdagger 03-29-2013 08:14 PM

Slauson Wants to Apologize to Cushing

Slauson is Sorry.
Quote:

Asked if he still thinks about that play, Slauson said, "I do.

"I think about it all the time. It was just unfortunate the way it happened, Brian getting hurt. I didn't want it to happen. I was just trying to do whatever I could to win. And unfortunately, it worked out very badly.
It was a frowned upon block. But I think about it all the time, and I'm really sorry the guy got hurt for it."

Slauson said it's hard for an offensive lineman to think specifically about a peel back block "because you're very seldom in that spot."

Slauson said he got Cushing's phone number from Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez.

"I tried," Slauson said of calling the linebacker. "But it didn't work out. I wanted to let him know that I was really sorry. I heard he's a great guy, and I wish him all the best, and I'm sure I'm going to be seeing on the field again."

dc_txtech 03-29-2013 08:40 PM

Re: Slauson Wants to Apologize to Cushing

Well, good for him. I think it takes a real man to own up to his mistakes, especially on a national level like this. Cushing doesn't have to accept his apology but I think it shows great character to reach out and try to apologize.

amazing80 03-29-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dc_txtech (Post 2145412)
Well, good for him. I think it takes a real man to own up to his mistakes, especially on a national level like this. Cushing doesn't have to accept his apology but I think it shows great character to reach out and try to apologize.

Take it with a grain of salt because Im pretty sure that right after it happened he was being a dbag and wasn't sorry AT ALL.

Uncle Rico 03-29-2013 10:19 PM

Slauson was getting owned in that game and he resorted to a cheap tactic. He's a POS in my book, and I was happy when the Texans rocked Mangold's life later in the game (give him credit he soldiered through it) karma is a ***** and Im sure Slauson will get his. Im glad Cush didnt answer the phone.

GP 03-29-2013 10:35 PM

Normally I'd say "Good for him."

But not this time. Screw THAT guy.

Apology effort does not make up for what was not just a "bad decision," it was a frustration moment and it cost us our best LB. I think it cost us a lot.

This is the sort of thing where you wish our team was maybe a little bit nastier. Might as well level the playing field, at least let teams know payback will occur.

rolyat93 03-30-2013 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dc_txtech (Post 2145412)

What did he own up to? That Cush was injured? Nowhere in that statement did he admit that he made a jackass play.

It's as bad as a "I'm sorry that you're offended."

Texans Jordan 03-30-2013 12:04 PM

I hope he still burns in a lake of fire.

dc_txtech 03-30-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolyat93 (Post 2145495)
What did he own up to? That Cush was injured? Nowhere in that statement did he admit that he made a jackass play.

It's as bad as a "I'm sorry that you're offended."

He said "it was a frowned upon block", "I think about it all the time", sounds like the guy genuinely feels bad for the guy. He went out of his way to track down Cushing's phone number and tried to call and apologize to him personally.

All I'm saying is that I respect someone who is willing to offer an apology. Seems like a lot of you would have preferred if he didn't try to apologize to Cushing at all. To each his own.

dc_txtech 03-30-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texans Jordan (Post 2145548)
I hope he still burns in a lake of fire.

May the LORD rain down burning coals and brimstone on the wicked! A whirlwind is what they deserve!

Cool first post guy.

ObsiWan 03-30-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dc_txtech (Post 2145549)
He said "it was a frowned upon block", "I think about it all the time", sounds like the guy genuinely feels bad for the guy. He went out of his way to track down Cushing's phone number and tried to call and apologize to him personally.

All I'm saying is that I respect someone who is willing to offer an apology. Seems like a lot of you would have preferred if he didn't try to apologize to Cushing at all. To each his own.

I think this is the most telling part of the quote

Quote:

"I tried," Slauson said of calling the linebacker. "But it didn't work out. I wanted to let him know that I was really sorry. I heard he's a great guy, and I wish him all the best, and I'm sure I'm going to be seeing on the field again."
Translation: PLEASE Mr. Cushing, Sir... don't take my face off next time you see me on the field! ...okay..??

Brisco_County 03-30-2013 12:52 PM

It looks like he tried denial of fault, it didn't clear his conscience, so now he's moving on to acceptance and apology. Even d-bags can possess sympathy. There are very few people in civilized society who truly lack sympathy like Albert Haynesworth. Now that guy is a POS.

Surreal McCoy 03-31-2013 07:12 AM

Umm, he dove at Cushing's knees from behind. It was premeditated no doubt, and no amount of crocodile tears will change that.

Showtime100 03-31-2013 07:51 AM

I saw it as a guy sorry for what he did. Some of you people show the world you never played a down in your life.

texan279 03-31-2013 09:35 AM

That is great and all Slauson trying to apologize, but Cushing doesn't really seem to me like the type of guy to kiss and make up. Slauson should be afraid. Very afraid.

Dutchrudder 04-01-2013 11:55 AM

I'd be more willing to believe him if he said this within a few days of the incident, not 5 months later. He appealed the fine too, and clearly didn't think it was illegal:

Quote:

"I've heard (from my coaches) that it was a clean block, that's all I know," Slauson said. "If the league wants to tell me differently ... I hope I don't get fined. If I happen to get something, I'll deal with it then."

Replays showed Slauson diving at Cushing's legs. Jets coach Rex Ryan said Wednesday that he thought it was a clean hit. Asked if there was an illegal aspect to the hit, Ryan said, "No. I think that's just one of those unfortunate things."

A peel-back block is deemed to be illegal if initiated to an opponent's back or the side, according to the NFL rulebook.
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...houston-texans

Yeah, **** this guy.