Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The National Football League (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Not a joke, but yet I guess it is: Vince Young Throws at UT Pro Day (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99368)

GP 03-26-2013 05:22 PM

Not a joke, but yet I guess it is: Vince Young Throws at UT Pro Day
 
Seriously. The dude threw passes at UT's pro day, his agent organizing the spectacle so that NFL scouts (sigh) can see that Vince Young is ready for another shot. And Mack Brown, being Mack Brown, also chimes in and says "Someone is going to hit the LOTTERY with this guy [Young]..."

I kid you not.

Link to full story HERE.

Double Barrel 03-26-2013 05:31 PM

Re: Not a joke, but yet I guess it is: Vince Young Throws at UT Pro Day
 
Has there ever been a former starter in the NFL going back to his college's pro day to get the NFL to notice him again?

It just seems....desperate.

houstonspartan 03-26-2013 05:37 PM

Re: Not a joke, but yet I guess it is: Vince Young Throws at UT Pro Day
 
What's even worse is that he went crawling back to the isolated cave known as UT Football, and Mack Brown - who is easily the worst coach in all of sports at preparing players to be professional athletes - is, yet again, talking this guy up.

The way UT shelters and coddles and babies athletes is shameful. And, they almost all end up running back to Austin to take solace in past former glory and to get kudos from Daddy Mack.

Sad.

Honoring Earl 34 03-26-2013 05:40 PM

Re: Not a joke, but yet I guess it is: Vince Young Throws at UT Pro Day
 
Dudes needs a payday loan .


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv2CEi_0nro

infantrycak 03-26-2013 05:40 PM

Re: Not a joke, but yet I guess it is: Vince Young Throws at UT Pro Day
 
I have to say Jeff Fisher and others must have talked about VY with the league to the degree he is being shunned. I never thought he was as great as people claimed but he clearly has the physical tools and non-smart QB's with questionable work ethics (Carr) keep getting million dollar roster spots. The back room word must be atrocious. I mean c'mon he got bailed as the backup for a guy with several felony convictions.

brakos82 03-26-2013 05:56 PM

Re: Not a joke, but yet I guess it is: Vince Young Throws at UT Pro Day
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Double Barrel (Post 2143538)
Has there ever been a former starter in the NFL going back to his college's pro day to get the NFL to notice him again?

It just seems....desperate.

Pat White went back to West Virginia, and now the 49ers are looking at him... so yes.

Wolf6151 03-26-2013 05:59 PM

Re: Not a joke, but yet I guess it is: Vince Young Throws at UT Pro Day
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Double Barrel (Post 2143538)
Has there ever been a former starter in the NFL going back to his college's pro day to get the NFL to notice him again?

It just seems....desperate.

When your broke and can't spell football, you are. It's either the NFL or Buger King.

Texecutioner 03-26-2013 10:28 PM

Re: Not a joke, but yet I guess it is: Vince Young Throws at UT Pro Day
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonspartan (Post 2143542)
What's even worse is that he went crawling back to the isolated cave known as UT Football, and Mack Brown - who is easily the worst coach in all of sports at preparing players to be professional athletes - is, yet again, talking this guy up.

The way UT shelters and coddles and babies athletes is shameful. And, they almost all end up running back to Austin to take solace in past former glory and to get kudos from Daddy Mack.

Sad.

As a huge UT fan, I hate to agree with you, but it's been this way for the last 12 years under "Cookies" (Mack Brown). I always laughed over the years when I'd hear Longhorn fans get upset when Mack would get clowned on. I'd argue with other fans about certain aspects with the Longhorns or in different areas, but I'd never stick up for Mack Brown. Worst football coach I've ever witnessed.

chicagotexan2 03-26-2013 10:31 PM

Re: Not a joke, but yet I guess it is: Vince Young Throws at UT Pro Day
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by infantrycak (Post 2143546)
I have to say Jeff Fisher and others must have talked about VY with the league to the degree he is being shunned. I never thought he was as great as people claimed but he clearly has the physical tools and non-smart QB's with questionable work ethics (Carr) keep getting million dollar roster spots. The back room word must be atrocious. I mean c'mon he got bailed as the backup for a guy with several felony convictions.

What else can it possibly be? You named Carr who clocked out at 5 and played like a guy who put in the bare minimum. I mean cassell, gabbert, ponder, Sanchez, kolb and even freakin tebow have jobs and they are terrible. Young has the ability even if he is not very intelligent but you'd think a coach could devise a plan to utilize his abilities to be an ok QB. I mean could he do any worse than these duds? i wonder if he should come clean and admit all his failings and accept total responsibility then maybe some gms might consider him as a viable option again? Either way this guy has fallen hard but ill give him credit for not being as worthless and inept as ryan leaf and Jamarcus Russell. Those two are total failures as players and men.

WolverineFan 03-26-2013 10:32 PM

Re: Not a joke, but yet I guess it is: Vince Young Throws at UT Pro Day
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Double Barrel (Post 2143538)
Has there ever been a former starter in the NFL going back to his college's pro day to get the NFL to notice him again?

It just seems....desperate.

Happens all the time actually. Pat White just did it recently, as did Troy Smith. Pretty sure Jared Zabransky did it as well.

Stemp 03-26-2013 10:41 PM

Re: Not a joke, but yet I guess it is: Vince Young Throws at UT Pro Day
 
VY got plenty of chances. Philly thought enough of him to sign him as did Buffalo, but he couldn't stick. I highly doubt Fischer was calling the Eagles and Bills to bad mouth him enough for them to cut him. I laugh when vy fan boys blame his ills on Fischer. If he had the goods and the smarts to play in the league, he'd be playing in the league.

If I had to guess, I'd bet coaches think that his skills are such that the offense needs to be built around his abilities and shortcomings, rather than him fitting into a system or learning a system as a backup. I also have heard rumors that VY was constantly angling to be the starter instead of accepting his role as a backup and was causing tension in the locker room.

infantrycak 03-26-2013 11:03 PM

Re: Not a joke, but yet I guess it is: Vince Young Throws at UT Pro Day
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stemp (Post 2143764)
VY got plenty of chances. Philly thought enough of him to sign him as did Buffalo, but he couldn't stick. I highly doubt Fischer was calling the Eagles and Bills to bad mouth him enough for them to cut him. I laugh when vy fan boys blame his ills on Fischer. If he had the goods and the smarts to play in the league, he'd be playing in the league.

How many ways does this fail?

#1 - It is Fisher.

#2 - nobody, especially me, said Fisher went out of his way to call up and torpedo VY. I suggested there is a back story which has gone around the league which is why he is sitting on the couch. You don't think these people talk?

#3 - I am not either a VY fan or a UT fan other than at the level of I will root for UT just because it is a Texas team unless it is playing my alma mater.

#4 - he is 30-17 as a starter in the NFL. Find me examples of guys like that who can't even find a job. There is a back story here.

We are way beyond being a new star in the league. But he could be backing up a number of QB's in the league without any new system having to be built for him. In fact, just the opposite, his skill set should have people with those rare QB's knocking on his door. But they aren't.

Hookem Horns 03-26-2013 11:15 PM

Re: Not a joke, but yet I guess it is: Vince Young Throws at UT Pro Day
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Double Barrel (Post 2143538)
Has there ever been a former starter in the NFL going back to his college's pro day to get the NFL to notice him again?

It just seems....desperate.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_91s-Zkod9G...+to+school.jpg

Stemp 03-26-2013 11:18 PM

Re: Not a joke, but yet I guess it is: Vince Young Throws at UT Pro Day
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by infantrycak (Post 2143776)
How many ways does this fail?

#1 - It is Fisher.

#2 - nobody, especially me, said Fisher went out of his way to call up and torpedo VY. I suggested there is a back story which has gone around the league which is why he is sitting on the couch. You don't think these people talk?

#3 - I am not either a VY fan or a UT fan other than at the level of I will root for UT just because it is a Texas team unless it is playing my alma mater.

We are way beyond being a new star in the league. But he could be backing up a number of QB's in the league without any new system having to be built for him. In fact, just the opposite, his skill set should have people with those rare QB's knocking on his door. But they aren't.

First, I have no doubt Fisher let the other coaches know of his concerns with VY. However,the NFL is VERY forgiving, especially for highly talented players. Coaches will take chances on guys who have plenty of talent and keep them if they think they can help the team win and that player keeps his nose clean and isn't a problem in the locker room. Now, what many of VY's fans don't seem willing to admit is that MAYBE the concerns about VY are valid and these other coaches are seeing evidence thus his inability to make a team.

Second, I didn't call you a VY fan boy and if it came across that way I'm sorry. My statement was in general about VY fan boys. I come across many of them in various places and their manta is "He just wins" and "It's Fisher's fault he can't get a shot". Maybe he does win, but if he's a head case and has issues that the public doesn't see but coaches do then that could explain his lack of offers. There has to be a reason why he's been given chances after he left TN and still isn't able to land a job.

Frankly he needs to go to the CFL for a year and prove he still has the juice. If he can lead a CFL team to wins and make a playoff run, then he might get one last chance before he's forced to manage his restaurant in order to make rent.

infantrycak 03-26-2013 11:23 PM

Re: Not a joke, but yet I guess it is: Vince Young Throws at UT Pro Day
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stemp (Post 2143782)
However,the NFL is VERY forgiving, especially for highly talented players. Coaches will take chances on guys who have plenty of talent and keep them if they think they can help the team win and that player keeps his nose clean and isn't a problem in the locker room. N

This is all I am saying. I am pulling a GP surmise that if none of 32 teams will take a flyer on him as even a backup QB there is some word which has been leaked around the league.

ObsiWan 03-27-2013 04:10 AM

Re: Not a joke, but yet I guess it is: Vince Young Throws at UT Pro Day
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by chicagotexan2 (Post 2143761)
What else can it possibly be? You named Carr who clocked out at 5 and played like a guy who put in the bare minimum. I mean cassell, gabbert, ponder, Sanchez, kolb and even freakin tebow have jobs and they are terrible. Young has the ability even if he is not very intelligent but you'd think a coach could devise a plan to utilize his abilities to be an ok QB. I mean could he do any worse than these duds? i wonder if he should come clean and admit all his failings and accept total responsibility then maybe some gms might consider him as a viable option again? Either way this guy has fallen hard but ill give him credit for not being as worthless and inept as ryan leaf and Jamarcus Russell. Those two are total failures as players and men.

How many of those guys have the "I quit on my team when things went bad" baggage coupled with the "I scored far below norm on the Wunderlich test" baggage in their backgrounds? Then the last time he had a meaningful chance to demonstrate he still had "it" with the Eagles, he stunk it up. And now, despite a pretty decent contract, he's broke??

Why would Fisher have to say anything when he's been with two other clubs since his Tennessee days and showed little to nothing? Or do you think Andy Reid and Chan Dailey are in on the VY black-balling too...?

Blake 03-27-2013 07:08 AM

Re: Not a joke, but yet I guess it is: Vince Young Throws at UT Pro Day
 
I think he would make a fine training camp body to compete for our #2 spot. I dont care that some feel we are set at QB. And I dont care that some think it would be a spectacle to media or whoever.

FirstTexansFan 03-27-2013 08:35 AM

Re: Not a joke, but yet I guess it is: Vince Young Throws at UT Pro Day
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf6151 (Post 2143566)
When your broke and can't spell football, you are. It's either the NFL or Buger King.

And this is why I won't eat there :)

Rey 03-27-2013 08:41 AM

Re: Not a joke, but yet I guess it is: Vince Young Throws at UT Pro Day
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blake (Post 2143830)
I think he would make a fine training camp body to compete for our #2 spot. I dont care that some feel we are set at QB. And I dont care that some think it would be a spectacle to media or whoever.

Unfortunately I agree.

Mr teX 03-27-2013 09:29 AM

Re: Not a joke, but yet I guess it is: Vince Young Throws at UT Pro Day
 
I don't think coaches and GM's in the league are actively "conspiring" against him i just think that he's been unable to circumvent Fisher and the credibility Fisher has with other coaches and GM's all over the league. I don't think Fisher or anyone other coach is bad mouthing him perse, but i do think they're telling anyone who asks the truth about what really happened in Tennessee with VY and teams are just passing on bringing him in as a result of this info. This is one of the biggest reasons why VY apologized to Fisher out of the blue a few weeks before his tryout at the UT pro day.

He can definitely be a back up on someone's team and also do think he's done tons of growing up over the last year or so, it just may be too late.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger