Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   FA FB Greg Jones to visit Texans (signed march 27) (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99363)

srrono 03-26-2013 09:00 AM

FA FB Greg Jones to visit Texans (signed march 27)

Quote:

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL 1m
Greg Jones, 31, is a 10-year veteran. Texans have seen him 2 times a year.

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL 5m
Texans hosting FB Greg Jones today. I can confirm report they'll bring in Tyrann Mathieu at some point before draft.

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli 6m
In fact, if Greg Jones played in a city other than Jacksonville, he probably would have made a Pro Bowl by now. Vicious blocker. #Texans

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL 9m
Texans r looking 4 new FB 4 4th year N row. James Casey was preceeded by Lawrence Vickers and Vonta Leach.

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL 10m
For players with 10 years or more of service, the minimum salary is $910,000.

[IMG]http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/5463/gjsz.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

cuppacoffee 03-26-2013 09:18 AM

Re: FA FB Greg Jones to visit Texans today

Looks like Clutts failed to impress.

:coffee:

Mr teX 03-26-2013 09:19 AM

yeah, this greg jones..all be it 10 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKknaWEln9w

badboy 03-26-2013 09:20 AM

Good to see they are still in market.

srrono 03-26-2013 09:20 AM

PFT has confirmed that Jones will visit the Texans on Tuesday. An eight-year veteran who has spent his entire career with the Jaguars, Jones became a free agent on March 12. In 2011, he helped clear paths for Maurice Jones-Drew, who led the league in rushing that year.

And MJD isn’t happy about Jones’ potential departure, tweeting “Noooooooo!!!!!!“

The Jaguars had been talking to Jones before the new league year began, and Jones (like many other free agents) has drawn little interest on the open market.

tru80texan 03-26-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srrono (Post 2143214)
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL 1m

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL 5m
Texans hosting FB Greg Jones today. I can confirm report they'll bring in Tyrann Mathieu at some point before draft.

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli 6m
In fact, if Greg Jones played in a city other than Jacksonville, he probably would have made a Pro Bowl by now. Vicious blocker. #Texans

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL 9m
Texans r looking 4 new FB 4 4th year N row. James Casey was preceeded by Lawrence Vickers and Vonta Leach.

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL 10m

Beat me to it! I was just about to start a thread about this.

This would be a good addition imo. A definite improvement at FB w/ a true blocker that has proven he can run the ball effectively when needed. Sign him up!

Dutchrudder 03-26-2013 09:25 AM

We have been missing our mauler in the middle ever since Vonta left and I think our goalline running game has suffered a bit because of that. If he can run block, he should be picked up, Clutts is expendable.

The Pencil Neck 03-26-2013 09:31 AM

I've been hoping we'd get this guy or at least find someone who can really replace Vonta. We need that kind of guy on offense more than we needed someone like a James Casey.

NitroGSXR 03-26-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr teX (Post 2143223)
yeah, this greg jones..all be it 10 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKknaWEln9w

Wow! What a hit!!

Playoffs 03-26-2013 09:51 AM

Greg Jones was rated 3rd out of 25 FBs in blocking for players taking >25% of team snaps.

That ex-Texan was 1st.

Dutchrudder 03-26-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Playoffs (Post 2143240)
Greg Jones was rated 3rd out of 25 FBs in blocking for players taking >25% of team snaps.

That ex-Texan was 1st.

Is there any reason you keep posting these PFF tidbits without every linking to the article? Their site is atrocious to search, and I often want to see what the list looks like for myself.

tru80texan 03-26-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Playoffs (Post 2143240)

That ex-Texan was 1st.

I think Jones could surpass that ex-Texan if he leads the way for Arian. Jones accomplished that #3 rating while playing on a team w/ slim to no passing attack & against loaded fronts & yet he still cleared the way for his ball carrier. I like him & think he could thrive in this offense to surpass that former Texan. His ball carrying abilities could also prove very useful in tough short yardage situations.

Playoffs 03-26-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutchrudder (Post 2143246)
Is there any reason you keep posting these PFF tidbits without every linking to the article? Their site is atrocious to search, and I often want to see what the list looks like for myself.

It's on the pay/premium side:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/dat...=25&numgames=1

fiasco west 03-26-2013 10:07 AM

Please yes. Please.

Señor Stan 03-26-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutchrudder (Post 2143228)
We have been missing our mauler in the middle ever since Vonta left and I think our goalline running game has suffered a bit because of that. If he can run block, he should be picked up, Clutts is expendable.

Yeah, but if you have a guy who is a pass receiving threat at FB then you could work a play to pass him the ball inside the 10 and get an easy TD...wait...what?

htowntexans1985 03-26-2013 10:45 AM

Jones is built like a tank!! Get him Rick!! :pissed:

76Texan 03-26-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Playoffs (Post 2143252)

Just another useless link , LOL, I'm just messing with ya' playoffs.
I knew why sometimes you couldn't post the "useful" link.

NitroGSXR 03-26-2013 10:49 AM

He looks like a machine and I AM for going after him for the vet minimum but how old is he? Don't FBs wear out pretty fast?

Jackie Chiles 03-26-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NitroGSXR (Post 2143298)
He looks like a machine and I AM for going after him for the vet minimum but how old is he? Don't FBs wear out pretty fast?

Depends on the player. Some guys can be quality blockers for a really long time. Greg Jones might not be Lorenzo Neal but I think he will still do a nice job for at least 2-3 years. Maybe longer.

76Texan 03-26-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuppacoffee (Post 2143222)
Looks like Clutts failed to impress.

:coffee:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutchrudder (Post 2143228)

If you can find an upgrade without breaking the bank, you do it.

Same thing with Jones; he was pretty decent last year, but he's no Lechler.