Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The National Football League (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Urlacher - does he have anything left for us? (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99281)

silvrhand 03-21-2013 08:49 AM

Urlacher - does he have anything left for us?

I don't know how bad his knees were, but the bears only offerred him 2M/year for his contract. Man that's awfully tempting to try to get him at 3M a year for a couple years. He might plug a hole at ILB for us for a year or two.

Thoughts?

deucetx 03-21-2013 09:00 AM

Re: Urlacher - does he have anything left for us?

Last I heard he was seeking around 3.5-4 million on a one year deal. What he brings is great coverage from the LB position, experience and of course leadership. He is one of those players that can read an offense pre-snap and make audibles and adjustments at the line of scrimmage putting everyone where they need be.

Unfortunately, he was also below average against the run last year. He wasn't great getting off blocks and was a step slower getting to the backs on pursuit then normal. With the Texans utilizing a 3-4 that may not be a good thing to put him in there in such a situation. He'll be an improvement coverage wise but not versus the run especially since I think most signs point to Earl Mitchell manning the nose.

HOU-TEX 03-21-2013 09:03 AM

No, dude moved like a sloth on the field last year.

Rey 03-21-2013 09:04 AM

I'd do it. Neither him nor Ed reed would keep you from drafting ilb or safety, but what they do is lessen the need somewhat...not to mention the attitude, knowledge, swag and leadership they bring...

Would be pretty big having urlacher and reed on this defense just from an experience standpoint. All of a sudden you'd have one of the most experienced defenses in the NFL. Brian and manning are friends as well, so I'm sure he's in his ear about it.

Id do it for the right price.

Playoffs 03-21-2013 09:08 AM

You don't want an ILB who can't stop the run. Urlacher was second to last in the league last year. He's toast.

Brandon420tx 03-21-2013 09:17 AM

Why are people so hung up on Urlacher? The guy's career was built on speed and he doesn't have it anymore. People are reminiscing about his coverage skills which he can no longer duplicate. He's more of a liability at this point and I see him not getting the offer he's looking for and retiring this offseason.

He's a great defensive leader but that's his only asset at this point.

Say Watt 03-21-2013 09:22 AM

You guys really don't think he'd be better than what we trotted out there last year?

Dutchrudder 03-21-2013 09:32 AM

If the Bears couldn't work out a deal with him, then he's asking way too much for what he offers. If Urlacher was willing to take vet minimum, he would be with the Bears. He can't cover TEs, so all he would be is a 2-down run stopper. Why not re-sign Bradie James for minimum if that's what we need?

HOU-TEX 03-21-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Watt (Post 2140554)
You guys really don't think he'd be better than what we trotted out there last year?

Nope.

I'd re-sign Dobbins and possibly Ruud or James. I think we'll draft an ILB within the first 3 rounds.

Hervoyel 03-21-2013 09:43 AM

I think Ruud with a full training camp and Brian Cushing next to him would be the perfect combination until we can find and prepare a rookie for the job.

ArlingtonTexan 03-21-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Watt (Post 2140554)

Classic better name than football player at this point in his career. At best would be another"intangible" signing versus a guy who is any better than Brady James.

thunderkyss 03-21-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hervoyel (Post 2140567)
I think Ruud with a full training camp and Brian Cushing next to him would be the perfect combination until we can find and prepare a rookie for the job.

Doesn't necessarily have to be a rookie. A young FA could fill the bill as well. I think there are a couple of good prospects out there this season.

texan279 03-21-2013 10:01 AM

No Urlacher! :hankpalm:

silvrhand 03-21-2013 10:07 AM

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ut-saving-face

All the bears offerred was 2M a year...

TexanSam 03-21-2013 10:22 AM

After Bradie James poor play I'll pass on signing another old, over-the-hill linebacker.

panamamyers 03-21-2013 10:25 AM

Imagine BRadie James if he had 10 pound ankle weights on at all times. That is Urlacher now.

Vinny 03-21-2013 10:32 AM

we gonna try to be the over the hill gang?

Texan4Ever 03-21-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hervoyel (Post 2140567)

I second this. Ruud played well with the Bucs and I don't see why he can't replicate his successes with the Bucs to the Texans. I would much rather develop what we have and possibly draft one than bring in Urlacher.

Hervoyel 03-21-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2140571)
Doesn't necessarily have to be a rookie. A young FA could fill the bill as well. I think there are a couple of good prospects out there this season.

Granted. Does not have to be a rookie. Just saying that if all we're looking for is "Mr. Right-Now" then we already have a better option that we're more familiar who we could be trying to bring back.

Luv_ya_blue 03-21-2013 10:55 AM

Urlacher used to be one of the best, if not the best coverage LBs in the league.

For those that struggle with key words, the key phrase in the passage was "used to be."

I'll pass.