Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Insight into Front Office inactivity (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99275)

the wonger need food 03-20-2013 10:22 PM

Insight into Front Office inactivity
 
Rick Smith was interviewed by Mike Florio of profootballtalk.com and offered quite a bit of insight as to why the Texans are standing pat and not aggressively going after free agents. He states that even though the team has lost several starters they are a better team due last season's experience...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...to-next-level/

Is anyone buying this? I believe that the owner's secret collusion agreement has a lot to do with the low contracts being signed however that doesn't help explain why the Texans are doing virtually nothing to help fill their multiple holes in the roster while teams like Denver, Indi, Seattle, etc. are apparently making every effort imaginable to win a championship.

thunderkyss 03-20-2013 10:34 PM

Re: Insight into Front Office inactivity
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by the wonger need food (Post 2140417)
He states that even though the team has lost several starters they are a better team due last season's experience...

One of the things that makes me feel good about this organization, is that they all seem to understand the 1 mind, 1 team mentality. From top to bottom, you generally hear them repeating pretty much the same thing.

The team getting better because of the experience is a thought we heard McNair voice in another interview. I bet we'll hear a lot of this going into next season. We've also heard that they have faith/confidence in Matt & they need to help him.

To me, it sounds like we've got an organization focused on one goal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by the wonger need food (Post 2140417)
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...to-next-level/

Is anyone buying this? I believe that the owner's secret collusion agreement has a lot to do with the low contracts being signed however that doesn't help explain why the Texans are doing virtually nothing to help fill their multiple holes in the roster while teams like Denver, Indi, Seattle, etc. are apparently making every effort imaginable to win a championship.

What was the "big FA" signing that got Baltimore over the top?

The year before that, what was the Giants big signing?

in 2010, who did the Packers sign that got them a Super Bowl Championship?

2009, I'm guessing the Saints won because they signed Darren Sharper?

2008, the Steelers won because... who'd they get?

2007, I'm sure signing David Carr was the main reason the Giants won the Super Bowl right?

the wonger need food 03-20-2013 10:51 PM

Re: Insight into Front Office inactivity
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2140423)


What was the "big FA" signing that got Baltimore over the top?

The year before that, what was the Giants big signing?

in 2010, who did the Packers sign that got them a Super Bowl Championship?

2009, I'm guessing the Saints won because they signed Darren Sharper?

2008, the Steelers won because... who'd they get?

2007, I'm sure signing David Carr was the main reason the Giants won the Super Bowl right?

I'm not sure that those teams had the holes and lack of depth that this Texans team needs to address. More importantly, those teams all had elite level QB's that made players around them better. We have the opposite with Schaub. He needs playmakers to make up for his lack of skills.

Texecutioner 03-20-2013 10:53 PM

Re: Insight into Front Office inactivity
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2140423)
One of the things that makes me feel good about this organization, is that they all seem to understand the 1 mind, 1 team mentality. From top to bottom, you generally hear them repeating pretty much the same thing.

The team getting better because of the experience is a thought we heard McNair voice in another interview. I bet we'll hear a lot of this going into next season. We've also heard that they have faith/confidence in Matt & they need to help him.

To me, it sounds like we've got an organization focused on one goal.



What was the "big FA" signing that got Baltimore over the top?

The year before that, what was the Giants big signing?

in 2010, who did the Packers sign that got them a Super Bowl Championship?

2009, I'm guessing the Saints won because they signed Darren Sharper?

2008, the Steelers won because... who'd they get?

2007, I'm sure signing David Carr was the main reason the Giants won the Super Bowl right?

Rick Smith has always said that he believes in mainly building through the draft and his actions have been indicative of that in his history here. But either way, the man himself has stated this. Maybe you just like that philosophy by itself. I don't know. I know I've always hated it and disagree with it as well. Rick Smith is not the only GM that operates under this philosophy either for the record. Some are forced to if their owner never wants to spend any money or take any risks. Rick Smith and Kubiak both believe in the draft philosophy as far as building this team though. If that's the type of strategy you feel is a great plan from year to year then he shoudln't ever disappoint you unless you hate his draft picks, because his draft picks are going to be what you'll have to judge him by the majority of the time.

He did just bring in Ed Reed though and whether Reed signed or not, they made a strong push to get him. Good signing and he deserves credit for that. I want to see him continue to make some deals that could potentially upgrade one or two other positions that have difficulties right now. That's what a strong GM does from year to year and I'd like to see Rick Smith be more consistent at using negotiations with other teams for trades and certain FA pick ups.

paycheck71 03-20-2013 11:00 PM

Re: Insight into Front Office inactivity
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by the wonger need food (Post 2140417)

Is anyone buying this? I believe that the owner's secret collusion agreement has a lot to do with the low contracts being signed however that doesn't help explain why the Texans are doing virtually nothing to help fill their multiple holes in the roster while teams like Denver, Indi, Seattle, etc. are apparently making every effort imaginable to win a championship.

What collusion? There is a hard salary cap. There is also a cap floor. Every team has to stay within those parameters. Some have cap space (dolphins, colts) and are spending crazy money. Most don't and are looking for bargains. This is just a function of the new CBA.

Insideop 03-20-2013 11:15 PM

Re: Insight into Front Office inactivity
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by paycheck71 (Post 2140439)
What collusion? There is a hard salary cap. There is also a cap floor. Every team has to stay within those parameters. Some have cap space (dolphins, colts) and are spending crazy money. Most don't and are looking for bargains. This is just a function of the new CBA.

I guess some people "get it" and some people don't! :)

Titans Sux 72 03-20-2013 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the wonger need food (Post 2140433)
I'm not sure that those teams had the holes and lack of depth that this Texans team needs to address. More importantly, those teams all had elite level QB's that made players around them better. We have the opposite with Schaub. He needs playmakers to make up for his lack of skills.

Well Schaub is all we got.
Any body better out there in FA? Or the draft?

As far as depth that's why there is a draft. Last year and the previous 2 depth was not a problem. (How many ILBs do you have to have on the roster and get hurt?). It's called bad luck.
The off season is not over yet.
All these FA moves the Titans and Colts are doing is because they have NO depth.
The colts were blessed with a one in a million QB falling in their lap the year they draft #1. Same as Peyton.
At some point the Texans do have to draft the Rogers, Kappernick, Wilson , hell Brady in the late rounds I just don't see it this year. I could be wrong.

Exascor 03-21-2013 06:47 AM

Re: Insight into Front Office inactivity
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by the wonger need food (Post 2140417)
I believe that the owner's secret collusion agreement has a lot to do with the low contracts being signed however that doesn't help explain why the Texans are doing virtually nothing to help fill their multiple holes in the roster while teams like Denver, Indi, Seattle, etc. are apparently making every effort imaginable to win a championship.

This off season Denver & Seattle had over 15 million and Indy over 40 million in cap space. Houston had around 8. Maybe that could be the reason? Nah - too simple huh?

thunderkyss 03-21-2013 06:51 AM

Re: Insight into Front Office inactivity
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by the wonger need food (Post 2140433)
I'm not sure that those teams had the holes and lack of depth that this Texans team needs to address. More importantly, those teams all had elite level QB's that made players around them better. We have the opposite with Schaub. He needs playmakers to make up for his lack of skills.

I would bet those teams fans identified holes that weren't filled to their expectations that's the NFL. That's the way it goes. NT is a big one we've been crying about for years, yet we've got back to back division titles (which for whatever reason doesn't mean as much anymore) & back to back Wildcard victories (again, since we've done it, doesn't mean squat anymore). In otherwords, maybe they don't see the needs we do.

We're looking for an ILB, but we've still got Sharpton (who has a poor history with injury, but when he's in the game, he's a high value player), & I wouldn't be surprised if Ruud comes back.

WR without question is a concern. Harvin is going to Seattle, I don't think we had a dog in that race, it doesn't bother me that we didn't get him. Bolden was got for a 6th(??) I'm upset we didn't get in on that one. But Lloyd is still out there, what if we're able to grab him for $1-$2M?? It's not over is all I'm saying.

And now you're telling me Joe Flacco makes his receivers look better? Sorry, I'm not buying that one. I still refuse to believe Matt Schaub is suffering from his LisFranc & that his better days are behind him. Matt has been & is a better QB than Joe Flacco. Flacco winning the Super Bowl did nothing but make me believe a QB like Schaub (or Ryan) can win the Super Bowl.

thunderkyss 03-21-2013 07:00 AM

Re: Insight into Front Office inactivity
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Texecutioner (Post 2140435)
Rick Smith has always said that he believes in mainly building through the draft and his actions have been indicative of that in his history here..

Free Agency is always about overpaying, at least until you're recognized as a team with a real opportunity to do something special. I don't know if we've got to that point yet.

I listed all the Super Bowl champs going back to 2007, Baltimore, Giants, New Orleans, Pittsburgh, the Giants again....

You don't have to agree with the philosophy, but you have to be pretty hard headed not to recognize it's merits.

Honoring Earl 34 03-21-2013 07:13 AM

Re: Insight into Front Office inactivity
 
The new CBA says the bad teams or the cheap teams have to spend 95% of their cap . They backfill their roster through FA and are more willing to give big contracts .

PhilpW 03-21-2013 07:23 AM

Re: Insight into Front Office inactivity
 
Wasn't it a couple of years ago that Philly made a huge splash in the free agent market and were tabbed a "Dream Team" and finished below .500? I like that what Denver is doing, their window for a championship is about two years, after that they will be irrelevant for years due to cap restrictions. Like it or not Houston's philosophy is to be competitive every year.

panamamyers 03-21-2013 07:31 AM

Re: Insight into Front Office inactivity
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by the wonger need food (Post 2140433)
I'm not sure that those teams had the holes and lack of depth that this Texans team needs to address. More importantly, those teams all had elite level QB's that made players around them better. We have the opposite with Schaub. He needs playmakers to make up for his lack of skills.

Revisionist history to call Flacco or Eli Manning elite qb's going into 2012 and 2007.

GP 03-21-2013 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 (Post 2140477)
The new CBA says the bad teams or the cheap teams have to spend 95% of their cap . They backfill their roster through FA and are more willing to give big contracts .

Indeed.

And this year will be the last year of those teams being able to overpay and sleep peacefully afterward.

The new CBA makes teams abandon the concept of storing up savings and then making a run on several elite players...then reverting back to storing up money...then making a run on elite players. Everybody is on the same level playing field.

Every team will now be up against the cap, judging whether to spend leftover money on extending current players or on new FAs.

What I think Rick Smith is doing is getting ahead of that day's inevitable existence. We're practicing restraint because in two years' time all teams will be "cap-strapped" due to the 95% rule of 2011's CBA. Might as well start today.

There will be some teams who inexplicably are caught off guard in two years, failing to make the adjustment ahead of time. These contracts they're handing out like lollipops at the doctor's office might hurt them down the road if they haven't factored the future into the equation of today's contract structures.

Rick Smith and his staff are smarter than most people realize. He's the brains of this operation, IMO.

eriadoc 03-21-2013 08:14 AM

Re: Insight into Front Office inactivity
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GP (Post 2140485)
He's the brains of this operation, IMO.

Well that's a downer, jeez.

nero THE zero 03-21-2013 08:16 AM

Re: Insight into Front Office inactivity
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by the wonger need food (Post 2140417)
Is anyone buying this? I believe that the owner's secret collusion agreement has a lot to do with the low contracts being signed however that doesn't help explain why the Texans are doing virtually nothing to help fill their multiple holes in the roster while teams like Denver, Indi, Seattle, etc. are apparently making every effort imaginable to win a championship.

I think the reasoning behind the pursuit of Reed is twofold.

One, it brings in a veteran player-coach type with leadership in spades (see: Connor Barwin's comments on the lack of leadershuip adversely affecting the team down the stretch last season).

And, two, the team is sticking to its philosophy of building through the draft and signing its own guys. Speaking to your point above, the team in unwilling to give long-term, backloaded contracts to bit players when it anticipates locking up its all-pro level talent. IOW, the team is unwilling to sacrifice a long-term future with Brian Cushing or JJ Watt to sign a Glover Quin, Greg Jennings, or Eric Winston now. This is why, with a limited budget, a short-term contract with an Ed Reed makes all the sense in the world. It fills an immediate need, both as a player and a leader, and fits under the cap while not costing anything in the long term.

the wonger need food 03-21-2013 08:35 AM

Re: Insight into Front Office inactivity
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by panamamyers (Post 2140482)
Revisionist history to call Flacco or Eli Manning elite qb's going into 2012 and 2007.

No, it's actual history... the dude's lead their teams to championships.

htownfan32 03-21-2013 08:55 AM

Re: Insight into Front Office inactivity
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by the wonger need food (Post 2140513)
No, it's actual history... the dude's lead their teams to championships.

That makes Trent Dilfer elite too, huh? Phil Simms? Brad Johnson?

Anquan Boldin lead the Ravens to a championship, not Joe Flacco.

TexanSam 03-21-2013 09:02 AM

Re: Insight into Front Office inactivity
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by htownfan32 (Post 2140532)
That makes Trent Dilfer elite too, huh? Phil Simms? Brad Johnson?

Anquan Boldin lead the Ravens to a championship, not Joe Flacco.

11 TDs and no INTs. Guess that was all Boldin.

silentassassin 03-21-2013 09:03 AM

Re: Insight into Front Office inactivity
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GP (Post 2140485)
Indeed.

And this year will be the last year of those teams being able to overpay and sleep peacefully afterward.

The new CBA makes teams abandon the concept of storing up savings and then making a run on several elite players...then reverting back to storing up money...then making a run on elite players. Everybody is on the same level playing field.

Every team will now be up against the cap, judging whether to spend leftover money on extending current players or on new FAs.

What I think Rick Smith is doing is getting ahead of that day's inevitable existence. We're practicing restraint because in two years' time all teams will be "cap-strapped" due to the 95% rule of 2011's CBA. Might as well start today.

There will be some teams who inexplicably are caught off guard in two years, failing to make the adjustment ahead of time. These contracts they're handing out like lollipops at the doctor's office might hurt them down the road if they haven't factored the future into the equation of today's contract structures.

Rick Smith and his staff are smarter than most people realize. He's the brains of this operation, IMO.

Brought up some good points here.

The days where teams can carry $30+ mil in cap space and try to stay competitive solely with their young draft picks only to be able to spend like crazy in a certain offseason will be over.

The 89% cap floor will force teams to mull over every move they make and think more about their long-term future. Every dollar available for spending becomes that much more valuable.

My understanding of the way a lot of the salary stuff works isn't that strong, but I hope I'm at least on point.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger