Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The National Football League (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Possible Pro Bowl Change (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99235)

Vinny 03-19-2013 10:27 AM

Possible Pro Bowl Change
 
Interesting idea to shake up a stale format...
Quote:

The game is expected to be held in Hawaii next year but the way the teams are chosen might change.

One intriguing option sure to be thoroughly examined is holding a draft as a way to divide up the teams. Details are not yet available on how the process would play out, but one possibility would be for player captains to choose teams as if on a schoolyard. Up until now, teams were separated by conference.
http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescri...g/Default.aspx

Playoffs 03-19-2013 10:33 AM

Re: Possible Pro Bowl Change
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinny (Post 2139117)
...holding a draft as a way to divide up the teams.

I can see that generating some attention. An inventive idea.

Rey 03-19-2013 10:34 AM

Re: Possible Pro Bowl Change
 
I've always felt like the NBA all star game should be played that way. Going to take a while for an NFL team to be assembled that way though...

But i think doing it this way would naturally lead to a more competitive product.

TexanSam 03-19-2013 10:45 AM

Re: Possible Pro Bowl Change
 
They should turn it into a flag football match. I think a big reason the Pro Bowl is so boring is because players don't want to hit each other and risk injury since it's a pointless game. But if it's flag football there's less risk of injury and it could make it more competitive.

I'm not sure if I even buy into my own argument, but they need to change it up somehow to make it interesting to watch.

DBCooper 03-19-2013 11:03 AM

Re: Possible Pro Bowl Change
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TexanSam (Post 2139131)
They should turn it into a flag football match. I think a big reason the Pro Bowl is so boring is because players don't want to hit each other and risk injury since it's a pointless game. But if it's flag football there's less risk of injury and it could make it more competitive.

I'm not sure if I even buy into my own argument, but they need to change it up somehow to make it interesting to watch.

Naked Cheerleaders?

mattieuk 03-19-2013 11:19 AM

Re: Possible Pro Bowl Change
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Playoffs (Post 2139120)
I can see that generating some attention. An inventive idea.

Sure is inventive! They had to sit and watch the NHL All-Star game from previous years to come up with this ;)

b0ng 03-19-2013 11:31 AM

Re: Possible Pro Bowl Change
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TexanSam (Post 2139131)
They should turn it into a flag football match. I think a big reason the Pro Bowl is so boring is because players don't want to hit each other and risk injury since it's a pointless game. But if it's flag football there's less risk of injury and it could make it more competitive.

I'm not sure if I even buy into my own argument, but they need to change it up somehow to make it interesting to watch.

There might be less risk of an injury but who the hell would want to play a nationally televised competitive flag football game as an exhibition?

Just make it a big skills competition like what we had before:

http://www.sportsargumentwiki.com/im...ardboardDB.gif

TexanSam 03-19-2013 12:06 PM

Re: Possible Pro Bowl Change
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0ng (Post 2139174)
There might be less risk of an injury but who the hell would want to play a nationally televised competitive flag football game as an exhibition?

Just make it a big skills competition like what we had before:

http://www.sportsargumentwiki.com/im...ardboardDB.gif

I preferred the skills competition to the actual game, but that's not saying much. I don't know if the NFL can do anything to make people want to watch the Pro Bowl. It's just so dull.

b0ng 03-19-2013 01:40 PM

Re: Possible Pro Bowl Change
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TexanSam (Post 2139214)
I preferred the skills competition to the actual game, but that's not saying much. I don't know if the NFL can do anything to make people want to watch the Pro Bowl. It's just so dull.

I don't really think that there is a way to have a violent game like football can have an exhibition that features the best of the league and have it still be competitive. Owners/GM's don't want their $100m babies getting injured in a game that does not matter, and I doubt players want to seriously put it all on the line for an extra football game that just doesn't count for much.

I'm sure scouts/coaches could come up with "skill drills" that they could re-make the skills challenge with and it might even resemble some portions of football, but that seems as close as we'll get to having NFL players actually competing in some sort of all-star atmosphere.

GP 03-19-2013 05:19 PM

Skills competition and then have it divided into two groups, picked by two captains.

Best of both worlds.

Can't have an actual game under any type of inventive/creative methods. The guys back in the 70s and early 80s played for peanuts, they played the Pro Bowl out of sheer pride-of-self and such.

infantrycak 07-26-2013 11:58 PM

Loathe this idea
 
Quote:

Under the proposal, fans would vote during the season for the top NFL players at each position regardless of conference. For example, instead of voting for three NFC and three AFC quarterbacks, the fans would vote for six quarterbacks from the entire league. (It’s unclear whether players and coaches would still vote on the players, too. Currently, fans, players, and coaches each count for one third of the total vote.)

In December, 86 players selected to the Pro Bowl would be announced, with no specific team affiliation.

Then, on the Wednesday before the game, a draft of the teams would be conducted. The “front office” would include: (1) a prominent NFL alumnus for each team; (2) the highest vote-getter on offense and the highest vote-getter on defense, with each serving as the on-field captain of a team; and (3) the two fans who scored the most points this season playing NFL.com Fantasy Football.
Link

Rey 07-27-2013 12:46 AM

Re: Possible Pro Bowl Change
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TexanSam (Post 2139131)
They should turn it into a flag football match. I think a big reason the Pro Bowl is so boring is because players don't want to hit each other and risk injury since it's a pointless game. But if it's flag football there's less risk of injury and it could make it more competitive.

I'm not sure if I even buy into my own argument, but they need to change it up somehow to make it interesting to watch.

Could have a defensive and offensive captain for each squad...just pick 10 other starters and the rest are randomly split up between the two teams.

Hervoyel 07-27-2013 09:14 AM

Re: Possible Pro Bowl Change
 
They need to get over the idea that any kind of all-star game featuring NFL players is going to be competitive or exciting. It's not going to happen and nothing will make it happen. If you select your teams this way, or draw names out of a hat, or sort them in alphabetical order, or have fans fight death matches for the right to name a player to the Pro Bowl it won't make a bit of difference. The teams will still get out there and play at half speed trying not to hurt each other because there's too much money at stake.

The NFL should name Pro Bowl teams and send them to Hawaii but instead of letting them play a game they should have them do entertaining skills competitions and hang out all week long with a team of players about to enter the draft who are also picked by NFL coaches and players. Those guys will play an exhibition game along the lines of the Senior Bowl and it would actually serve a purpose. These guys would work for a week or two with NFL coaches and get to learn and make an impression.

The best thing about it is that no player from this day going forward would ever have to play in more than a single Pro Bowl while at the same time the NFL players would continue to be recognized for their accomplishments. The NFL would have an event that they could televise and exploit while Hawaii would continue to get the big football weekend they always have enjoyed. Make the game something that college players want to get invited to so they can maybe impress NFL teams and coaches and then it will become a more competitive contest.

IDEXAN 07-27-2013 09:46 AM

Re: Possible Pro Bowl Change
 
We already have a much better process for selecting the best players at each position for the current season and it's the process that produces the annual All-Pro team and though it may not be totally void of partisanism it's vastly superior and more fair and valid than the ridiculous popularity contest that's used to select Pro-Bowlers.

gwallaia 07-27-2013 10:21 AM

Re: Possible Pro Bowl Change
 
They should mix the teams up and let old retired Pro Bowl players play in the game along side current players. The game is not ful contact or full speed either way.

Hookem Horns 07-27-2013 03:50 PM

Re: Possible Pro Bowl Change
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattieuk (Post 2139163)
Sure is inventive! They had to sit and watch the NHL All-Star game from previous years to come up with this ;)

You beat me to the punch. The NHL has already done this and I thought it was pretty silly.

IMO, they should just do away with the Pro Bowl. Hardly anyone cares and it's no where near the level of the MLB all star game because it's too much of a team sport.

thunderkyss 07-27-2013 04:22 PM

Re: Possible Pro Bowl Change
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hervoyel (Post 2185607)
They need to get over the idea that any kind of all-star game featuring NFL players is going to be competitive or exciting. It's not going to happen and nothing will make it happen. If you select your teams this way, or draw names out of a hat, or sort them in alphabetical order, or have fans fight death matches for the right to name a player to the Pro Bowl it won't make a bit of difference. The teams will still get out there and play at half speed trying not to hurt each other because there's too much money at stake.

Agreed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hervoyel (Post 2185607)
The NFL should name Pro Bowl teams and send them to Hawaii but instead of letting them play a game they should have them do entertaining skills competitions and hang out all week long with a team of players about to enter the draft who are also picked by NFL coaches and players. Those guys will play an exhibition game along the lines of the Senior Bowl and it would actually serve a purpose. These guys would work for a week or two with NFL coaches and get to learn and make an impression.

I was thinking the same thing, except....
  1. Forget Hawaii
    It's expensive to get the players to Hawaii, now we're also going to send two full teams as well? Do it in Houston, or if they want to get the Northern venues into the post season festivities, do it in Chicago.

    The players selected to the Pro Bowl teams can pay their own way.. or not show up if they don't want to. I think eventually players will make their own way, just like a bunch of players make their way to the Super Bowl whether they're playing or not.
  2. Not draft eligible players
    I'd hate for a draft eligible player to get seriously injured before the draft.

    Instead, each probowler can sponsor any player who was not on an active roster for x number of games... So let's say Antonio Smith gets voted to the Pro Bowl. He can sponsor Terrell McClain since he was only active for three games of the 2012 season.

    So if Jj Watt also gets voted to the Pro Bowl, we don't have another DE or DT that fits the requirements, he can chose a guy he went to school with on another team.

    These guys would be looking for an opportunity to prove they can play at this level.

All week, we could see the ProBowler working with his protege. They could have silly competitions all week, Survivor style. Then they'd play all out for the game, not wanting to let their sponsors down.

thunderkyss 07-27-2013 04:26 PM

Re: Possible Pro Bowl Change
 
Or they can have the two worse teams play for the first pick in the draft.

The pro bowlers could be there to help the coaching staffs of each team with drills & what not. They can have a two week long "Hard Knocks" style thing going on with the probowlers waking the lazy players up & kicking them in the rear at practice.

infantrycak 07-27-2013 04:30 PM

Re: Possible Pro Bowl Change
 
All this convoluted goofy college involvement, bringing in junior NFL players, etc. is just mental masturbation. Leave the damn thing the way it is and if you don't want to watch it don't. The current deal sounds much better than anything I have heard so far.

Speedy 07-27-2013 05:42 PM

Re: Possible Pro Bowl Change
 
I've been preaching for a while now to just do away with the game and just have some type of awards show. You still choose your all-stars, you can even send them and their families to Hawaii for a week. Because there's no game, you wouldn't have all these injury substitutions, players from the Super Bowl teams could still go and be recognized, and then Saturday night you have an awards banquet where you not only honor the all-stars, show their season's highlights, etc, but you name the MVP, Off. and Def. POTY, Coaches of the year, Rookie OTY, and all that jazz.

That might be a pretty cool event that people might actually want to watch.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger