Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The National Football League (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Brandon Lloyd (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99197)

EllisUnit 03-16-2013 03:27 PM

Brandon Lloyd
 
Pats are releasing him today,would compliment AJ big time IMO. Thoughts ?

TexansCountry 03-16-2013 03:50 PM

Re: Brandon Lloyd
 
I agree he had 74 catches last year. Dbs would respect him and not double Andre so much. Right price I bring him in over reed

EllisUnit 03-16-2013 03:56 PM

Re: Brandon Lloyd
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TexansCountry (Post 2137714)
I agree he had 74 catches last year. Dbs would respect him and not double Andre so much. Right price I bring him in over reed

I would def take Lloyd over reed, bring in a cheaper vet at safety or draft one

rolyat93 03-16-2013 03:59 PM

Re: Brandon Lloyd
 
I want them to take a good hard look at him. If Reed is indecisive then pull the trigger on Lloyd + mayber Woodson or Winfield or maybe even Aso.

Plenty of other options that should be looked at instead of just sitting on our hands.(Not saying that's what they're doing)

EllisUnit 03-16-2013 04:31 PM

Re: Brandon Lloyd
 
Lloyd was going to make 4.9 this season but that includes a 3 million dollar bonus. I think we could get him for 2 million or less a year. Give him a 4 year deal and we have our number 1 and 2 taken care of and let Martin and jean rotate at 3 and 4.

I hope they pursue him cause IMO this would be a smart but good signing and still have a little money for free agency

Playoffs 03-16-2013 05:28 PM

Re: Brandon Lloyd
 
On just ball skills, Lloyd is top 5 WR in my book.

So the question is, why does no team want to marry a guy with his talent???

Perhaps this gives us some answers:

Quote:

In today's story, I said the following about Lloyd:

Quote:

Odds are against Brandon Lloyd’s $3 million option bonus being picked up. There is still a lot of internal debate about what to do considering the Patriots literally couldn’t line up tomorrow at receiver. Lloyd’s erratic behavior in the locker room and on the practice field proved tiresome, according to a league and team source. If they cut Lloyd, that would save the Patriots $4.9 million against the cap this season, though there will be $2 million in dead money that can be spread out over two years. The team was smart to build in protection with Lloyd.
  • Nobody should be surprised that we didn't hear anything about Lloyd's behavior during the season. The Patriots are the best at keeping a lid on things in-house during the season.
  • From what I know, I wouldn't say that Lloyd was a bad guy who the team must jettison or anything. It was just the type of up-and-down mood swings that we heard a lot about in his previous stops:
Quote:

“I know you’ve heard he was good in the building, but he wasn’t necessarily an angel in the building,’’ said the Broncos source. “He wasn’t a good teammate. During games, he was asking the stat person to see how many catches and yards he had at that point in the game when [Kyle] Orton was starting.

“He has that locker room lawyer-type in him. Publicly he’ll say all the right things, but in the locker room he’ll voice his opinion.

“He’s extremely intelligent. Very articulate, very well-read, but there were times when people in the building thought he may be bipolar - and not joking - because he has days where he’s up and ready to go and happy-go-lucky and he’s like, ‘Hey, what’s up? How’s it going?’

“And then there were other days when he was surly and moody, and you just know it’s not a good day to approach him.

“He’s kind of a different cat, I’ll say that.’’
  • You just never know what you're going to get with Lloyd, and either you can deal with it or you can't. For example, talked to one player a few weeks ago that said he was talking to Lloyd about something and suddenly Lloyd said in mid-sentence, "I don't want to talk to you anymore," and put his headphones on.
  • It's one thing for that unevenness to be dealt with in the locker room and on the practice field, but when you combine it with his inconsistent play ... the Patriots love consistency. Anything that disrupts the flow of the season too often becomes a nuisance and tiresome. That was Lloyd. The Patriots don't really do eccentricity well.
  • Now, that being said, it's in the realm of possibility that he is back. There is still internal debate going on about whether or not he can be managed. And the biggest factor is the Patriots don't have any receivers at this point in time. Do they cut Lloyd and roll the dice so they can find receivers other than Wes Welker (if he gets his new contract) that can function in this scheme? Or do they take a known commodity in Lloyd, figure out a way to manage him better, and try again? That remains to be seen. His production (74 catches for 911 yards) is nothing to sneeze at with the way the receiver position has gone for the Patriots. But the odds are that he isn't back.

http://www.boston.com/sports/footbal...ts_on_bra.html

EllisUnit 03-16-2013 06:08 PM

Re: Brandon Lloyd
 
Didn't know all that about him, if he saw what AJ did to finegan then Lloyd prob won't have that attitude to often :). With that said id still give him a shot

powda 03-16-2013 06:15 PM

Re: Brandon Lloyd
 
My gut reaction to the name Brandon Lloyd is he's perfect. Talented vet comming off a high contract at a better value. He'd make a great buffer for 1-2 years to develop posey,martin, drafted rookie. I'd give him somewhere in the ballpark of 2 mil a year and draft a wideout now in rounds 3-4.

Texecutioner 03-16-2013 08:57 PM

Re: Brandon Lloyd
 
Oh boy a lot of you guys are overrating Lloyd's skills pretty hard here. He had a season like that because he played in the best offense of the league that had been a top offense like that for like 5 years straight before he ever showed up. He got the benefit of a lot of targets, and let me tell you Lloyd was screwing up routes and dropping balls at a lot of opportune times. He had a great chance to really excel and he really didn't. He was the biggest weakness on the Patriots offense and that's why he is being cut.

I'm not saying that he wouldn't be possibly be a good #2 to AJ, but it's not any problem solved type of thing at all. It would be a bandaid on the problem at best and only for a year or two maybe. Lloyd has always had motivational struggles in his career and I'm not so sure on how hard he'll work here like he did in NE. He seemed to play well in Mcdaniels system, but everywhere else he played he never really caught on.

texan279 03-16-2013 09:09 PM

Re: Brandon Lloyd
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Texecutioner (Post 2137820)
Oh boy a lot of you guys are overrating Lloyd's skills pretty hard here. He had a season like that because he played in the best offense of the league that had been a top offense like that for like 5 years straight before he ever showed up. He got the benefit of a lot of targets, and let me tell you Lloyd was screwing up routes and dropping balls at a lot of opportune times. He had a great chance to really excel and he really didn't. He was the biggest weakness on the Patriots offense and that's why he is being cut.

I'm not saying that he wouldn't be possibly be a good #2 to AJ, but it's not any problem solved type of thing at all. It would be a bandaid on the problem at best and only for a year or two maybe. Lloyd has always had motivational struggles in his career and I'm not so sure on how hard he'll work here like he did in NE. He seemed to play well in Mcdaniels system, but everywhere else he played he never really caught on.



His best season was in 2010 with Denver with Orton and Tebow at QB. 77 receptions, 1448 receiving yards, 18.8 yards per reception, and 11 TD's.

EllisUnit 03-16-2013 09:35 PM

Re: Brandon Lloyd
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by texan279 (Post 2137830)
His best season was in 2010 with Denver with Orton and Tebow at QB. 77 receptions, 1448 receiving yards, 18.8 yards per reception, and 11 TD's.

U didn't know tebow makes all WRs look good haha

steelbtexan 03-16-2013 10:49 PM

Re: Brandon Lloyd
 
Pass

Give me a young guy like Ramses-Barden or Hixon in FA and draft Rodgers/Hunter/Swope in Rd 1-2 = WR problem solved.

TEXANRED 03-16-2013 10:59 PM

Re: Brandon Lloyd
 
Lloyd puzzles me. A great, fantastic receiver, Denver, St louis, N.E. all in the last 3 years. I agree this man is a top 5 receiver. I don't get it. As far as I know he has no character issues.

Playoffs 03-17-2013 10:59 AM

Re: Brandon Lloyd
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by steelbtexan (Post 2137857)
Pass

Give me a young guy like Ramses-Barden...

What's his deal? 29 catches in 4 years? I don't know why he didn't get more opportunities?

Texecutioner 03-17-2013 10:57 PM

Re: Brandon Lloyd
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by texan279 (Post 2137830)
His best season was in 2010 with Denver with Orton and Tebow at QB. 77 receptions, 1448 receiving yards, 18.8 yards per reception, and 11 TD's.

That was one of the only seasons he ever reached 1,000 yards in his career. He is older now and is just a slight upgrade. That isn't really addressing the problem other then a one year rental type of situation.

Lucky 03-17-2013 11:05 PM

Re: Brandon Lloyd
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Texecutioner (Post 2138264)
That was one of the only seasons he ever reached 1,000 yards in his career. He is older now and is just a slight upgrade. That isn't really addressing the problem other then a one year rental type of situation.

A one year rental isn't a bad idea, if they can find a long term answer at WR in the draft this year. Rarely do rookie WRs breakout, and the Texans have zip behind Andre.

Texecutioner 03-17-2013 11:16 PM

Re: Brandon Lloyd
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky (Post 2138274)
A one year rental isn't a bad idea, if they can find a long term answer at WR in the draft this year. Rarely do rookie WRs breakout, and the Texans have zip behind Andre.

I don't see a one year rental as such a bad idea, but I wouldn't want to see the Texans go further then that with a player like Lloyd.

Vinny 03-18-2013 12:39 AM

Re: Brandon Lloyd
 
Patriots just did that with Talib. I think it would be a smart move to win now as you develop your young WR stable. Andre's window to win is short now...get him a damn compliment. You don't gear up for the Super Bowl the year after Earl Campbell retires....you better give it your best shot before he fades...and sadly we didn't kick that damn thing in. But at least Oiler fans had the pride from knowing we made moves and put forth a hell of an effort to make it happen. You gotta go for it when you have a superstar. Andre is ours.

greekdbag 03-18-2013 01:46 AM

Re: Brandon Lloyd
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TEXANRED (Post 2137863)
Lloyd puzzles me. A great, fantastic receiver, Denver, St louis, N.E. all in the last 3 years. I agree this man is a top 5 receiver. I don't get it. As far as I know he has no character issues.

Supposedly he does have character issues. It's one of the main reasons the Patriots didn't want him back.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger