Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Dre offers to restructure... again (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99186)

the wonger need food 03-15-2013 11:40 PM

Dre offers to restructure... again

With the Texans up against the cap and AJ wanting a championship, it appears that he has offered to restructure his contact again to relieve some of the roughly $15M his salary counts this year.

Per Randy Harvey...

https://twitter.com/randyharvey/stat...75035557396480

SAMURAITEXAN 03-16-2013 06:30 AM

Re: Dre offers to restructure... again

Quote:

Originally Posted by the wonger need food (Post 2137472)
With the Texans up against the cap and AJ wanting a championship, it appears that he has offered to restructure his contact again to relieve some of the roughly $15M his salary counts this year.

Per Randy Harvey...

AJ wants to win SB now! I feel same as you AJ!

tru80texan 03-16-2013 06:54 AM

Quote:

Per Randy Harvey...

You would think the FO would've already initiated this conversation w/ some players such as AJ as opposed to the player having to offer it & lead the way. Let's hope they can figure something out & get some players signed to assist in getting AJ a championship.

TEXANRED 03-16-2013 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tru80texan (Post 2137515)
You would think the FO would've already initiated this conversation w/ some players such as AJ as opposed to the player having to offer it & lead the way. Let's hope they can figure something out & get some players signed to assist in getting AJ a championship.

You would have thought.

CloakNNNdagger 03-16-2013 08:51 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if the Texans hadn't thrown out the "hint" to restructure to several players by now.

GP 03-16-2013 08:56 AM

Yeah, it's probably never crossed their minds. I mean, the front office really doesn't think about stuff like that.

Meanwhile back on planet earth, the Texans have a history of re-working deals with many of its players, for the purpose of creating more cap space.

If AJ says he wants to do it, it means he might have been unwilling before now. It's their finances, and a player and his agent are going to look out for number 1 first. The front office of any team will be more team-focused than any other department in the franchise.

THINK.

GP 03-16-2013 08:58 AM

I guess AJ is being told that the only way Ed has a shot, here, is to create more cap space to close the gap for it.

Ed Reed might still be our guy yet.

TexCanada 03-16-2013 08:59 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if the FO doesn't want to restructure in order to avoid cap problems in the next couple of years when we have to re-sign some of our core pieces.

NitroGSXR 03-16-2013 09:00 AM

AJ's vote of confidence in Keo has been declared.

IDEXAN 03-16-2013 09:03 AM

But restructures just "kick the can down the road" (you know, like with our country's debt problems re the budget), and eventually the Texans will be faced with the big cap hit. So the organization may have considerations over the longer term for not wanting to restructure deals now with key players like JJ Watt and perhaps Cushing coming up for new deals in a year or 2 ?
But I'd think Andre would be more interested in restructuring for the addition of a veteran NFL WR on the roster than a safety, even an old pal from college ?

NitroGSXR 03-16-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IDEXAN (Post 2137536)
But restructures just "kick the can down the road" (you know, like with our country's debt problems re the budget), and eventually the Texans will be faced with the big cap hit. So the organization may have considerations over the longer term for not wanting to restructure deals now with key players like JJ Watt and perhaps Cushing coming up for new deals in a year or 2 ?
But I'd think Andre would be more interested in restructuring for the addition of a veteran NFL WR on the roster than a safety, even an old pal from college ?

Andre's been kicking the can down the road for years. This would be (I think) his fourth restructure . He has ALWAYS had a "team, what can I do to help us win now" attitude. Yes, I know he's getting his money but damn... he is definitely losing a lot by letting us "borrow it". Ever think about the interest ramifications of the millions that Andre keeps pushing back to use an example? Even after restructuring, he still has enough fiscal responsibility left over to do his annual Christmas shopping spree.

I guess I'm just saying that I heart Andre Johnson and let's get this man a championship ring.

Playoffs 03-16-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

the wonger need food

No more hanky panky...

TexanBacker93 03-16-2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IDEXAN (Post 2137536)

I'm sure he's offering to restructure to free money to bring anyone in, not just a safety. If that were all we were looking at I would hope he wouldn't need to restructure. If Reed wants more than what we have available we would have to move on.

Honoring Earl 34 03-16-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Per Randy Harvey...

Dang ... You haven't been around since mittens was QB .

2slik4u 03-16-2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tru80texan (Post 2137515)

Meh. Andre has been ridiculously selfless throughout his career including a previous restructure. It's hard to ask again and again from a player that has literally been the best example of a football player and good person. Once again dre shows why he is the best when he does stuff like this. I have no issue with FO not asking dre for this.

Bubbajwp 03-16-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2slik4u (Post 2137556)
Meh. Andre has been ridiculously selfless throughout his career including a previous restructure. It's hard to ask again and again from a player that has literally been the best example of a football player and good person. Once again dre shows why he is the best when he does stuff like this. I have no issue with FO not asking dre for this.

2nd

Brisco_County 03-16-2013 10:23 AM

While I do think Andre is an unselfish person, restructures aren't an act of generosity when it pays the player more money up front. This is why I'm hoping we don't spend too much money in free agency. It'd be nice to get some guaranteed money off the books to pursue Cushing and Watt.

dream_team 03-16-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2slik4u (Post 2137556)

3rd.

But also what others have said. Restructuring would just free up space this next season, but pushes the burden in future years.

tru80texan 03-16-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GP (Post 2137531)
Yeah, it's probably never crossed their minds. I mean, the front office really doesn't think about stuff like that.

Meanwhile back on planet earth, the Texans have a history of re-working deals with many of its players, for the purpose of creating more cap space.

If AJ says he wants to do it, it means he might have been unwilling before now. It's their finances, and a player and his agent are going to look out for number 1 first. The front office of any team will be more team-focused than any other department in the franchise.

THINK.

C'mon...a history of restructuring deals? I guess technically you are correct since they have restructured a deal or 2 in the past, but Smith & the FO are far from being known to work all angles & create space were space didn't seem to exist like many other FO's whom somehow continue to add pieces as opposed to losing more & more yr in & yr out. These types of moves should've been made early on if feasible & yet they haven't & we have a player saying he is willing....yet hasn't happened as players keep leaving town. Maybe you ought to send the "THINK" memo to Smith quickly because there isn't much getting done & in its current state this team isn't getting better. Thats something to "THINK" about.

tru80texan 03-16-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dream_team (Post 2137573)
3rd.

But also what others have said. Restructuring would just free up space this next season, but pushes the burden in future years.

It does push some of the burden down the road, but that will effect years in which many expect the salary cap to increase. In other words, the burden in those larger salary cap years might not be that bad compared to relief that it would provide now to help add a piece or 2 to remain competitive.

We don't know the future salary cap numbers, but many expect it to increase as opposed to it remaining the same, it surely won't decrease, so making a move now doesn't necessarily mean complete doom imo.