Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Texans cap space (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99133)

76Texan 03-13-2013 12:51 PM

Texans cap space
 
According to spotrac, the Texans have between $11-$14M in cap space.
(Dutch, can you verify this, please.)

They need to set aside some $5M to sign their rookies.

They have some $6-9M left to sign their own FAs or acquire others, without having to restructure any player.

What can we get for that?

Barwin? Quin?

Might not have enough room just for those two guys and we still need to find a replacement for Walter.

Let's not forget that we still need to resign or replace guys like Caldwell, Harris, Casey, Cody, Dobbins, James, Ball, Demps.

Some of these spots might be filled with rookies (let's say 3, maybe 4).

We might need to restructure one big contract to get more cap space or we need to cut another high-dollar player.

What do you think the Texans can do?

Dutchrudder 03-13-2013 01:11 PM

Re: Texans cap space
 
The NFL cap this year is 123 million, but the Texans carried over 2.4 million in cap space, so they have 125.4 to work with this year. If the Sportrac numbers are right, they have 49 players under contract for 112,540,856. They have 2,130,742 in dead money, but Walter's hit may be a June 1st designation, which would mean it's only 1m counts against the cap this year.

Assuming all that is correct, they should have $10,728,402 available (give a mil if Walter was June 1 cut), before filling the other 4 roster spots, practice squad costs (816k this year), and signing rookies.

TexansBlood 03-13-2013 01:59 PM

Re: Texans cap space
 
You jinxed us 76 lol

76Texan 03-13-2013 02:44 PM

Re: Texans cap space
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutchrudder (Post 2134990)
The NFL cap this year is 123 million, but the Texans carried over 2.4 million in cap space, so they have 125.4 to work with this year. If the Sportrac numbers are right, they have 49 players under contract for 112,540,856. They have 2,130,742 in dead money, but Walter's hit may be a June 1st designation, which would mean it's only 1m counts against the cap this year.

Assuming all that is correct, they should have $10,728,402 available (give a mil if Walter was June 1 cut), before filling the other 4 roster spots, practice squad costs (816k this year), and signing rookies.

Don't forget that the current contracts included the PS players we just signed to future contracts recently. Some of them probably won't make the roster, but at least the money is already there (or a good part of it) for some roster spots.

76Texan 03-13-2013 02:50 PM

Re: Texans cap space
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TexansBlood (Post 2135032)
You jinxed us 76 lol

Well, it's just reality... Before anybody wants a big FA acquisition.

We can restructure a couple contracts (at most) to get some $6-8M (at the risk of having cap problem when we need to resign Cushing, Watt, KJax.

If you want to win now at all cost, it will come back and bite us the next few years.

I don't expect the Texans to make a big splash in FA; perhaps just two or three mid-level guys.

Dutchrudder 03-13-2013 02:51 PM

Re: Texans cap space
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 76Texan (Post 2135092)
Don't forget that the current contracts included the PS players we just signed to future contracts recently. Some of them probably won't make the roster, but at least the money is already there (or a good part of it) for some roster spots.

I included them in my count of 49. I'm just saying we have 53 spots to fill regardless of who it is, and those spots will take at least 400k each out of our cap space. The guys to be signed to the Psquad in the future will cost at least 816k over the season. Rookies should cost around 5-6m since we will have 11 picks. If we can trade a couple picks to future years or package several to move up, we might save a little, but not much. I think it's safe to say we have about 6-9m in cap space that's spoken for this next season.

ChampionTexan 03-13-2013 02:57 PM

Re: Texans cap space
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 76Texan (Post 2135092)
Don't forget that the current contracts included the PS players we just signed to future contracts recently. Some of them probably won't make the roster, but at least the money is already there (or a good part of it) for some roster spots.

The current cap requirement only counts the top 51 salaries, so no many how many players we sign (offseason limit is 90), the 52nd on down won't count. Immediately prior to the season, the final two spots (along with players on IR and the Practice squad) are included.

76Texan 03-13-2013 02:58 PM

Re: Texans cap space
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutchrudder (Post 2135099)
I included them in my count of 49. I'm just saying we have 53 spots to fill regardless of who it is, and those spots will take at least 400k each out of our cap space. The guys to be signed to the Psquad in the future will cost at least 816k over the season. Rookies should cost around 5-6m since we will have 11 picks. If we can trade a couple picks to future years or package several to move up, we might save a little, but not much. I think it's safe to say we have about 6-9m in cap space that's spoken for this next season.

Easy to see why Walter, Barwin, Quin, and Casey gone.

TexansBlood 03-13-2013 03:25 PM

Re: Texans cap space
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 76Texan (Post 2135097)
Well, it's just reality... Before anybody wants a big FA acquisition.

We can restructure a couple contracts (at most) to get some $6-8M (at the risk of having cap problem when we need to resign Cushing, Watt, KJax.

If you want to win now at all cost, it will come back and bite us the next few years.

I don't expect the Texans to make a big splash in FA; perhaps just two or three mid-level guys.

This is what im afraid of. In a few yrs we are going to be going through exactly what Eagles, Steelers, Ravens are going through and be mediocre and rebuild once again.

76Texan 03-13-2013 03:44 PM

Re: Texans cap space
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TexansBlood (Post 2135143)
This is what im afraid of. In a few yrs we are going to be going through exactly what Eagles, Steelers, Ravens are going through and be mediocre and rebuild once again.

In a few years, the fans will be free of Matt Schaub, LOL!

76Texan 03-13-2013 03:45 PM

Re: Texans cap space
 
Realisticly, in a few years we should have money from AJ and Schaub to reload.

76Texan 03-13-2013 07:53 PM

Re: Texans cap space
 
So what do these FA signing mean for the Texans in term of compensatory picks?

Dutchrudder 03-13-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 76Texan (Post 2135415)
So what do these FA signing mean for the Texans in term of compensatory picks?

Quin is a 4 or 5
Casey is a 5

Insideop 03-13-2013 08:00 PM

Re: Texans cap space
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 76Texan (Post 2135415)
So what do these FA signing mean for the Texans in term of compensatory picks?

We will definitely get 1 each for Casey and GQ, unless we sign some FA's that are equal to or greater than Casey and GQ in value.

leebigeztx 03-13-2013 08:01 PM

Re: Texans cap space
 
76 texans, rookies are allocated 3m maybe less now.

76Texan 03-13-2013 08:32 PM

Re: Texans cap space
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by leebigeztx (Post 2135425)
76 texans, rookies are allocated 3m maybe less now.

Thanks for the info; that means the Texans will have a little more to work with, even though we still need to take into account the money we will have to spend on the extra picks. We can expect the third and at least one sixth to make the team.

leebigeztx 03-13-2013 08:44 PM

Re: Texans cap space
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 76Texan (Post 2135453)
Thanks for the info; that means the Texans will have a little more to work with, even though we still need to take into account the money we will have to spend on the extra picks. We can expect the third and at least one sixth to make the team.

yep. I dont have a problem with what they're doing tbh. The new rules when agents can talk saturday night really opens the door for guys. If that guy leaves the building,he's probably gone. The agents are pitting teams against teams which i have no problem with.Only in america when a guy with 11 sacks can get 34m(Krueger) and Mike wallace can get 12m per year

Uncle Rico 03-13-2013 08:48 PM

Re: Texans cap space
 
I for one am perfectly fine with the 'win now' mentality considering the age of the players at some key positions. You wouldnt trade a year or two of cap hell and subsequent releasing of players for a Super Bowl win? Really?

Heath Shuler 03-13-2013 08:54 PM

Re: Texans cap space
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by leebigeztx (Post 2135425)
76 texans, rookies are allocated 3m maybe less now.

I dont know if it is accurate or not but these guys say $4,364,825

http://www.overthecap.com/rookie-pool-estimate.php

eriadoc 03-13-2013 08:57 PM

Re: Texans cap space
 
How much cap hit do they take for not even offering their players a contract and just letting them walk?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger