Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mock Draft Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   SW H-TOWN Pre-Free Agency Mock Draft (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99067)

SW H-TOWN 03-10-2013 12:47 PM

SW H-TOWN Pre-Free Agency Mock Draft
 
1. Deandre Hopkins WR Clemson. I think he could be our #2 starter from day 1.

2. Brandon Williams NT Missouri Southern. Replacement and upgrade over Cody.

3A. Colbi Hamilton WR Arkansas. Has the upside to eventually be a number 1 receiver and I think that most of his shortcomings are correctable.

3B. Brennan Williams OT North Carolina. Eventual replacement for Newton.

4. Gerald Hodges ILB Penn State. I think he is rated too low. Has good college production and is good in coverage. Had a slow 40 time but plays much faster, good tape.

5. Duke Williams S Nevada. Safety depth is needed desperately. I actually saw Keo playing last year on defense, that should have never happened.

6. Ty Powell OLB Harding. OLB depth with upside.

7A. Steve Williams CB California. Slot CB depth.

7B. Braden Wilson FB Kansas State. Hard nosed FB, we need one of these guys.

Lucky 03-10-2013 01:27 PM

Re: SW H-TOWN Pre-Free Agency Mock Draft
 
Overall, I like it. Not sure about a D II lineman contributing much in 2013, but the guy has a lot of upside. I think WR probably needs to be addressed twice, but I would look for a 3rd day value rather than going back in the 3rd round. Maybe push OLB up to the 3rd round. But, I think you've addressed most of the Texans needs (that we know of).

SW H-TOWN 03-10-2013 02:18 PM

Re: SW H-TOWN Pre-Free Agency Mock Draft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky (Post 2133505)
Overall, I like it. Not sure about a D II lineman contributing much in 2013, but the guy has a lot of upside. I think WR probably needs to be addressed twice, but I would look for a 3rd day value rather than going back in the 3rd round. Maybe push OLB up to the 3rd round. But, I think you've addressed most of the Texans needs (that we know of).

Good thoughts. I think that Brandon Williams could play on running downs but you could go with Bennie Logan, Sylvester Williams, or Jesse Williams in the second.

A good 3rd day pick IMO would be Marquess Wilson. He had major problems with Mike Leach but he is not the first. Has definite #1 WR potential and would be worth the risk if drafted on the 3rd day. I would also consider Aaron Mellette and Jasper Collins.

I would look at Trevardo Williams, Sio Moore, or Brandon Jenkins in the third.

Thank's for the feedback.

Lucky 03-10-2013 02:21 PM

Re: SW H-TOWN Pre-Free Agency Mock Draft
 
I agree with all of your alternatives. Keep up the good work representing in Costa Rica.

TexanCR 03-10-2013 04:50 PM

Re: SW H-TOWN Pre-Free Agency Mock Draft
 
What?? Somebody else from Costa Rica?? Well I guess that make two of us Texans fans here :)

badboy 03-10-2013 05:49 PM

Re: SW H-TOWN Pre-Free Agency Mock Draft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SW H-TOWN (Post 2133497)
1. Deandre Hopkins WR Clemson. I think he could be our #2 starter from day 1.

2. Brandon Williams NT Missouri Southern. Replacement and upgrade over Cody.

3A. Colbi Hamilton WR Arkansas. Has the upside to eventually be a number 1 receiver and I think that most of his shortcomings are correctable.

3B. Brennan Williams OT North Carolina. Eventual replacement for Newton.

4. Gerald Hodges ILB Penn State. I think he is rated too low. Has good college production and is good in coverage. Had a slow 40 time but plays much faster, good tape.

5. Duke Williams S Nevada. Safety depth is needed desperately. I actually saw Keo playing last year on defense, that should have never happened.

6. Ty Powell OLB Harding. OLB depth with upside.

7A. Steve Williams CB California. Slot CB depth.

7B. Braden Wilson FB Kansas State. Hard nosed FB, we need one of these guys.

While okay with your first four, if we are not going to draft an AJ replacement such as Keenan Allen or Da'Rick Rogers, I'd rather take Terrence Williams over Hopkins.

beerlover 03-10-2013 09:04 PM

Re: SW H-TOWN Pre-Free Agency Mock Draft
 
impressive haul, like your picks.

why is it so difficult to distinguish which WR to select in the first? with exception of Austin it's just that tightly bunched. unlike last year draft a team, like Texans, have some viable options. Hopkins should be a good pro receiver.

after discussing merits of nose or lack there of in this defense, it would seem a plus run defender is more in need. Brandon is more a penetrating, get up field attacking nose, along similar lines as Mitchell. Great value pick here however.

Too early for second dipping WR pool given other areas of need. Colbi is an excellent athlete however maybe if he slips to 5th rd or some other slot type WR like Connor Vernon?

Haven't seen much of Brennan Williams is he still recovering from injury? Having said that he doesn't seem like a good ZBS fit here. I really think Texans like Justin Pugh, plus he can play guard as well.

Hodges in the 4th is excellent value/need pick, I could go for it.

Duke is an intriguing safety prospect, high ceiling but a project, another good selection.

Love Powell. Actually have him rated much higher, ahead of Hodges & I think he could kick inside linebacker in 3-4. Getting both would solidify LB on this defense.

Steve Williams would be a great addition to bolster secondary depth. Waiting on Mayock to come back after reviewing his game film, had outstanding combine but is he just a workout warrior?

Big physical FB I like it!

You really focused on two areas, WR & secondary with quality bigs on both side of line. nice work.

BL :wesmantexanfan:

SW H-TOWN 03-10-2013 09:32 PM

Re: SW H-TOWN Pre-Free Agency Mock Draft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TexanCR (Post 2133553)
What?? Somebody else from Costa Rica?? Well I guess that make two of us Texans fans here :)

That is cool man, we should watch a game together. What part of CR do you live in? I live in Palmares but I work in San Carlos. I go to San Jose from time to time for work related matters and hit up the beach whenever I can. Nice!!!

SW H-TOWN 03-10-2013 09:58 PM

Re: SW H-TOWN Pre-Free Agency Mock Draft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 2133563)
While okay with your first four, if we are not going to draft an AJ replacement such as Keenan Allen or Da'Rick Rogers, I'd rather take Terrence Williams over Hopkins.

I like Keenan Allen too and think he would be a good pick. I'm not sure he will be available but I hope so. Da'Rick Rodgers is really talented but I doubt we would draft him. He has a pattern of very poor decision making. He was arrested in a bar brawl and charged with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest, failed several drug tests, and had complete meltdown after a loss to Kentucky...

I personally like Hopkins over Williams for several reasons but nobody is going to agree on all prospects.

Thanks for the feedback.

SW H-TOWN 03-10-2013 10:19 PM

Re: SW H-TOWN Pre-Free Agency Mock Draft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerlover (Post 2133618)
impressive haul, like your picks.

why is it so difficult to distinguish which WR to select in the first? with exception of Austin it's just that tightly bunched. unlike last year draft a team, like Texans, have some viable options. Hopkins should be a good pro receiver.

after discussing merits of nose or lack there of in this defense, it would seem a plus run defender is more in need. Brandon is more a penetrating, get up field attacking nose, along similar lines as Mitchell. Great value pick here however.

Too early for second dipping WR pool given other areas of need. Colbi is an excellent athlete however maybe if he slips to 5th rd or some other slot type WR like Connor Vernon?

Haven't seen much of Brennan Williams is he still recovering from injury? Having said that he doesn't seem like a good ZBS fit here. I really think Texans like Justin Pugh, plus he can play guard as well.

Hodges in the 4th is excellent value/need pick, I could go for it.

Duke is an intriguing safety prospect, high ceiling but a project, another good selection.

Love Powell. Actually have him rated much higher, ahead of Hodges & I think he could kick inside linebacker in 3-4. Getting both would solidify LB on this defense.

Steve Williams would be a great addition to bolster secondary depth. Waiting on Mayock to come back after reviewing his game film, had outstanding combine but is he just a workout warrior?

Big physical FB I like it!

You really focused on two areas, WR & secondary with quality bigs on both side of line. nice work.

BL :wesmantexanfan:

Thanks man. Lets see, while Brandon Williams has showed the ability to get to the quarterback. I believe that he will be an effective run stopper. I would not be surprised to see us draft Jesse Williams. That guy can just flat out stop the run and the scary thing is that he has not been playing football for that long. He should get a lot better and played against top competition. Would be a great compliment to Earl Mitchell

Brennen Williams is very good at getting to the second level. IMO he would be a good right tackle in our system. Pugh is a very good prospect but I see him more as a guard at the next level.

Glad to see that someone else has taken a liking to Powell. As for Steve Williams he had good college production. He is very good at breaking up passes but needs to convert more of those passes deflected into interceptions.

I also think we need a physical FB, especially with our young right side of the offensive line.

Great feed back, rep coming.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger