Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Dobbins, McCain drawing interest (both re-sign with texans) (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99062)

texan279 03-09-2013 06:04 PM

Dobbins, McCain drawing interest (both re-sign with texans)

Two members of the Houston Texans defense are generating buzz in the free-agent agent market.

A source said that inside linebacker Tim Dobbins has received interest from four teams while three squads have given feelers to cornerback Brice McCain.

The Texans have interest in re-signing both players, the source said.

Dobbins, 30, has spent the past two seasons with the Texans serving predominantly as the teamís top backup at both ILB spots. Dobbins started six games last season before landing on injured reserve with an ankle injury.

McCain, who served as Houstonís slot cornerback, also landed on IR with a late-season foot injury. McCain, 26, has four interceptions in 56 career games with six starts.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/s...-period-030913

beerlover 03-09-2013 06:23 PM

Re: Dobbins, McCain drawing interest

Quote:

Originally Posted by texan279 (Post 2133376)
Two members of the Houston Texans defense are generating buzz in the free-agent agent market.

A source said that inside linebacker Tim Dobbins has received interest from four teams while three squads have given feelers to cornerback Brice McCain.

The Texans have interest in re-signing both players, the source said.

Dobbins, 30, has spent the past two seasons with the Texans serving predominantly as the teamís top backup at both ILB spots. Dobbins started six games last season before landing on injured reserve with an ankle injury.

McCain, who served as Houstonís slot cornerback, also landed on IR with a late-season foot injury. McCain, 26, has four interceptions in 56 career games with six starts.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/s...-period-030913

Resign McCain replace Dobbins via draft.

thunderkyss 03-09-2013 07:20 PM

Isn't this tampering?

JCTexan 03-09-2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2133389)
Isn't this tampering?

No. The free agency period started today.

Insideop 03-09-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Isn't this tampering?

There is some kind of new rule in place for the FA period. The FA cannot sign a contract until the actual FA period begins on the 12th, but the agents of the FA's can start negotiations with interested teams today (Mar 9th). I don't remember where I saw or heard this. Maybe someone else can fill in the details.

ArlingtonTexan 03-09-2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Isn't this tampering?

Players from a team can sign with the old team at any point.

Bulls on Parade 03-09-2013 10:20 PM

I wasn't too pleased with Tim Dobbins' performance last season. He played well in spurts but his body broke down way too fast after Cushing's injury. Hopefully we can draft somebody younger and more durable.

GP 03-09-2013 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beerlover (Post 2133380)

Bingo. I think the same way.

I appreciated Tim Dobbins a lot, and had him on the starting 53 for the past two seasons coming out of preseason (while many others thought he'd be cut instead). BUT, it's time to let go.

McCain, when healthy, gave our secondary a big boost.

Dutchrudder 03-09-2013 11:21 PM

Quote:

Jason Allen got 2 years 8.2 million from the Bengals last year. If McCain approaches anywhere near that, he's gone. I think he will get about 4 million a year, but not from the Texans.

deucetx 03-09-2013 11:41 PM

Would like Dobbins back for depth purposes. Indifferent with McCain. He was freaking horrible last year. I think most of you are thinking about how he performed in 2011. In 2012 before his injury he spent most of his time getting beat. It was night and day when comparing the two years. So if someone wants to pay him 4mil per then more power to him.

thunderkyss 03-10-2013 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan (Post 2133412)

Gotcha..... but the original story is that other teams have reached out to the agents of players on our team. Dobbins & McCain are still Texans until the 12th. This puts the Texans (the original team) in a difficult situation trying to negotiate with those player's agents.

thunderkyss 03-10-2013 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deucetx (Post 2133437)
Would like Dobbins back for depth purposes. Indifferent with McCain.

If Brooks moves to ILB, we'll have Sharpton for depth. Too many old & slow LBs ruin special teams. I liked Dobbins, but we have better options.

Wolf6151 03-10-2013 06:57 AM

Quote:

I'm just the opposite on this one. McCain is an average CB, but even average CB's get very expensive in FA since it's a premium position. Harris can move up to nickle CB, and then we can draft a CB to replace him in the depth chart. Dobbins wasn't great, and I agree with drafting a rookie starter probably in the 3rd round, but Dobbins is a very good run stuffer and would be good depth for close to the vet. minimum. Being a good run stuffer Dobbins would be nice to have in short yardage/goal line situations or special packages.

Wolf6151 03-10-2013 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2133451)
Gotcha..... but the original story is that other teams have reached out to the agents of players on our team. Dobbins & McCain are still Texans until the 12th. This puts the Texans (the original team) in a difficult situation trying to negotiate with those player's agents.

That's why good GM's were deciding who they wanted to keep or let go and negotiating with their players agents a month or more ago.

dream_team 03-10-2013 10:23 AM

I like both players, but I'm considering them gone. Some team will pay them more than the Texans should. Brice will get a chance to start somewhere, and he should take it. Lets just hope a light clicks on for Harris.

Lucky 03-10-2013 10:31 AM

I would feel more comfortable with McCain leaving if Harris had shown something in his absence. Still, I think this is a really deep draft for CBs and a nickel corner can be had in the 3rd or 4th (maybe with the Mario comp pick).

I loved Dobbins in 2011 and early 2012. But, he showed that he's not a full time player in late 2012. If a team wants to pay him like one, he should go for it.

IDEXAN 03-10-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan (Post 2133412)

But that's been the case for sometime now, right ?
As far as Mccain goes, he's almost surely gone and I'd be surprised if Dobbins gets another deal, why would he now if he couldn't land a contract with another team in the 2011-012 offseason when he was coming off of a better year ?

ChampionTexan 03-10-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2133451)

It's been referred to as "Legal Tampering".

Quote:

The official start of the free agency/trading period isnít until 3 p.m. St. Louis time Tuesday. But under a new league rule, teams can talk to agents of opposing teamsí free agents starting at 11 p.m. on Friday night.

Under the new guidelines, teams can talk only to the playerís agent, not the player himself. And players canít be brought in for visits over this three-day period Ė actually 3Ĺ days. No contracts can be signed. But negotiating can take place.
LINK

Lucky 03-10-2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChampionTexan (Post 2133484)
It's been referred to as "Legal Tampering".

Basically, what's been happening in free agency since the beginning. Now, it's "legal".

rolyat93 03-10-2013 02:36 PM

I wanna keep Dobbins, dude's a run stopping machine. Good ST guy too, I don't imagine his price being much higher than minimum either.