Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Free Agents we should look at (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99060)

mussop 03-09-2013 03:16 PM

Free Agents we should look at

We know we don't have alot of money so we will be looking at guys that won't cost much.

This guy really improved into a serviceable LB for the Giants last year.

Chase Blackburn
Free Agent
Linebacker
Ht: 6.3 | Wt: 242

Read more:

I have no idea what Reggie Bush will command on the open market but he would be an upgrade over Justin Forsett.

CloakNNNdagger 03-09-2013 03:25 PM

Re: Free Agents we should look at

Quote:

Originally Posted by mussop (Post 2133356)
We know we don't have alot of money so we will be looking at guys that won't cost much.

This guy really improved into a serviceable LB for the Giants last year.

Chase Blackburn
Free Agent
Linebacker
Ht: 6.3 | Wt: 242

Read more:

I have no idea what Reggie Bush will command on the open market but he would be an upgrade over Justin Forsett.

Bush has made $10 mil/yr for the past 2 years.......We can't afford him even at a substantial "discount." Meanwhile, the Lions and Cardinals are hot on his heels. Whatever he gets this year, you know will be overpaid.

WolverineFan 03-09-2013 03:27 PM

Bush may or may not be an upgrade over Forsett, but why would you pay high dollar for a backup RB when you already have Tate in the mix and Forsett can probably be re-signed on the cheap. Makes no sense.

mussop 03-09-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolverineFan (Post 2133362)
Bush may or may not be an upgrade over Forsett, but why would you pay high dollar for a backup RB when you already have Tate in the mix and Forsett can probably be re-signed on the cheap. Makes no sense.

From everything I have been reading and hearing he wont be able to command a big contract this offseason.

Uncle Rico 03-09-2013 06:27 PM

Anquan Boldin

Mari-OWNED! 03-09-2013 06:39 PM

If in the terrible case that the Texans do not re-sign Glover Quin, I wouldn't mind them going after Louis Delmas as a Plan B.

Lucky 03-10-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mari-OWNED! (Post 2133394)
If in the terrible case that the Texans do not re-sign Glover Quin, I wouldn't mind them going after Louis Delmas as a Plan B.

Delmas is not going to come as any kind of bargain and he has had injury issues the past 2 years. If Quin doesn't take an offer from the Texans, there will be a safety on the market that will take the deal. I still think that Quin is not highly valued on the FA market (doesn't create turnovers) and will re-sign here for around $4 million/year.

mussop 03-10-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky (Post 2133478)
Delmas is not going to come as any kind of bargain and he has had injury issues the past 2 years. If Quin doesn't take an offer from the Texans, there will be a safety on the market that will take the deal. I still think that Quin is not highly valued on the FA market (doesn't create turnovers) and will re-sign here for around $4 million/year.

I agree but if not Dawan Landry is now a free agent and a similar player.

Lucky 03-10-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mussop (Post 2133486)
I agree but if not Dawan Landry is now a free agent and a similar player.

But is Landry going to take less money than Quin? I think we're talking about guys in the same price range, which is why I think ultimately Quin will re-sign here.

GP 03-10-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Rico (Post 2133391)
Anquan Boldin

I don't know what savings we would get from this, but it was from a Kuharsky article over at ESPN:

1. Cut Kevin Walter, and let McCain, Dobbins, and Quin walk.

2. Restructure AJ and Antonio Smith.

With those moves made, and I can't remember if that included letting Cody go too, but I'd try to get this FA move made right here, below:

3. Sign Anquan Boldin.

The reasons:

A. Walter is done. We have K-Mart and I'll take his return game and ceiling as a WR to get the job done that Walter is known for providing us. Seriously, what could be lost for cutting Walter and trusting K-Mart who will be in his second season and eager to put a shaky freshman year behind him?

B. McCain was coming on strong as a nickel guy, but let's not overpay.

C. Dobbins was my favorite LB past two years because he added low-cost value and reliable run-stopping skills. But, he's injury prone. Time to let go.

D. Quin is the toughest to let walk. But I just don't see how we can retain him, plus I'd rather sacrifice him and gain a pretty boss WR in Boldin.

------------

Anquan Boldin is legit. He's not Eric Moulds. He just took Flacco onto his back, that whole team onto his back, and navigated the Ravens through the playoffs and onto a SB win. He bails out his QB. And frankly, that's what we need: Another "Andre Johnson" type WR. We don't need the little slot WRs who can't get separation nor YAC to save their life out there. We need a BIG MAN who has the veteran skills to burn opposing DBs and get the bail-out pass from the average QB.

I had said I wasn't in favor of wasting any draft picks on offense if it meant giving Gary and Matt tools that we could have used on defense (since I don't think Gary/Matt Ball would even utilize those tools properly to begin with; therefore it'd be a waste). BUT.....that's regarding unseasoned rookies who are out of college. When it comes to a guy like Boldin, if he wants to help a team who is on the cusp of maybe getting him a second SB ring??? And a chance to show the Ravens what they lost??? Yeah, you grab that guy and hope you get to play the Ravens in the playoffs for the chance to go to the Super Bowl. Period.

panamamyers 03-10-2013 03:30 PM

Massaquoi is who we need to sign at receiver. Easily the highest upside combined with lowest outlay needed in terms of money.

pec0sb0b 03-10-2013 06:16 PM

I would not be surprised if the Texans add Eric Winston or another free-agent tackle. With Butler out last season they were forced to platoon Brooks (a guard) and Newton ( a seventh-round pick) at right tackle. The result was a dramatic decrease in yards per carry to the strong side. Newton had recent surgery...will he be ready? Will Butler be back at all? They need a body to platoon at right tackle that they're not going to get in a rookie.

ASidd_1990 03-11-2013 03:34 PM

WTF are the Texans doing?

Sitting on their asses as usual.

Anquan Boldin for a friggin 6th round pick?

Screw you Rick Smith!

BigBull17 03-11-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASidd_1990 (Post 2133873)

Screw you Rick Smith!

...like we have the money to trade for him..It's not happening. Also, we need some form of speed, and Boldin doesn't get separation anymore. Just has crazy hands.

HOU-TEX 03-11-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASidd_1990 (Post 2133873)

Screw you Rick Smith!

lol

ASidd_1990 03-11-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOU-TEX (Post 2133878)
lol

What's there to laugh out loud about?

Texans are doomed for mediocrity unless we get a 2nd gamechanging WR to pair with Andre.

Sickening to see Andre have to do all the work when Walters scrub self can't make plays.

Maddening front office to say the least.

ASidd_1990 03-11-2013 03:53 PM

Cut Wade Smith and Kevin Walter.

Sign Eric Winston and draft Tavon Austin with our 1st round pick.

Superbowl bound baby!

amazing80 03-11-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASidd_1990 (Post 2133887)
Cut Wade Smith and Kevin Walter.

Sign Eric Winston and draft Tavon Austin with our 1st round pick.

Superbowl bound baby!

Go back to Madden while the rest of us adults talk.

ASidd_1990 03-11-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amazing80 (Post 2133895)
Go back to Madden while the rest of us adults talk.

Sorry just fustrated with the activity or lack thereof of the front office.

Nawzer 03-11-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASidd_1990 (Post 2133897)
Sorry just fustrated with the activity or lack thereof of the front office.

Get used to it. Texans have never been big players in free agency other than when they signed JJo and Manning couple of years ago. We'll probably sign a vet or two.