Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The National Football League (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Eric Winston released by Chiefs (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99008)

pissknocker 03-06-2013 07:20 PM

eric winston to be released

Ill be the first to say it bring him in for a looksee. Lets get arian back to form . We all like the caveman

If hes injured nevermind though

Sidenote-poor Luke joeckel gonna waste his talents in kc what a shame

JamesBill 03-06-2013 07:24 PM

Re: eric winston to be released

We have cap problems of our own so unless he is willing to play for not much more than Newton makes no way do I want him here.

Nevermind, they actually saved cap space. But only 700K and they are down a starting O-Line starter so unless they fill that with a guy making 700K or less they will have less cap space. Still don't want him.

76Texan 03-06-2013 07:28 PM

Well, they now have $700K to find his replacement.

Just wonder what his new price tag is going to be now that he has some pocket money already.

JamesBill 03-06-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 76Texan (Post 2132323)
Well, they now have $700K to find his replacement.

Just wonder what his new price tag is going to be now that he has some pocket money already.

His agent is Drew Rosenhaus, so I wouldn't count on anything beyond going to the highest bidder.

Allstar 03-06-2013 08:41 PM

Bring 'em back!

Stemp 03-06-2013 08:48 PM

Eric Winston released by Chiefs

I wonder if we make an inquiry to his agent.

steelbtexan 03-06-2013 08:52 PM

Overrated

But still better than Newton/Harris.

Setting up himself for a career in the media seems to be more important to Winston than improving his craft.

TEXANRED 03-06-2013 08:52 PM

Re: Eric Winston released by Chiefs

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stemp (Post 2132345)
I wonder if we make an inquiry to his agent.

I hope so.

gary 03-06-2013 09:31 PM

Chiefs Release Eric Winston

What's in store for Eric Winston now?

JimBaker488 03-06-2013 09:59 PM

Looks like Smith & Kubiak knew what they were doing last year, makes them look a lot smarter now with the move to cut Winston a year ago.

GP 03-06-2013 10:05 PM

Conflicted on this one.

His run blocking was better than anything we had on the right side in 2012.

But one has to wonder if he's thrown in the towel and is ready to pick up the microphone for a new career pursuit.

Then there's that whole messy "You cut me last year, Rick and Gary..." thing going on. With a splash of Drew HoseYourAss who is commanding the highest dollar on anything he represents. So....yeah, not much to see here. IMO.

Lucky 03-06-2013 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelbtexan (Post 2132346)
Overrated

But still better than Newton/Harris.

Setting up himself for a career in the media seems to be more important to Winston than improving his craft.

Overrated? Well, overpaid (is that the same thing?). Still better than what the Texans currently have a RT. And I don't see Winston's aspirations getting in the way of his on field performance. He's just what he is - an average RT that's a better run than pass blocker.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimBaker488 (Post 2132362)
Looks like Smith & Kubiak knew what they were doing last year, makes them look a lot smarter now with the move to cut Winston a year ago.

I don't think cutting Winston was about being smart. They had to make cuts somewhere and thought Butler & Newton could handle the job. They were wrong. But, they had little choice but to cut him loose.

Playoffs 03-06-2013 10:32 PM

Wouldn't hurt to kick the tires on this one. :kitten:

Scooter 03-06-2013 10:32 PM

1 year with the chiefs and he got cut, his market value just hit the floor. unless we're planning on spending a first or second on offensive tackle (which i'd prefer), i'd most certainly try to bring him back. winston is what he is - a below average pass blocker but a heck of a run blocker who fits very will into our system. his pass pro is better than anyone else we could currently start at RT however, and somehow is solid in comparison to most RT's.

being unable to run consistently to the right side, the supposed strong side, was a huge hindrance late in the season. winston instantly improves that without any time needed to "gel". if we can get him at a hometown discount, rick smith should jump on it - again unless we plan on drafting the position.

76Texan 03-06-2013 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky (Post 2132371)
Overrated? Well, overpaid (is that the same thing?). Still better than what the Texans currently have a RT. And I don't see Winston's aspirations getting in the way of his on field performance. He's just what he is - an average RT that's a better run than pass blocker.

I don't think cutting Winston was about being smart. They had to make cuts somewhere and thought Butler & Newton could handle the job. They were wrong. But, they had little choice but to cut him loose.

You mean two Wongs don't make one Wight? :hides:

Trap_Star 03-06-2013 10:40 PM

Re: Chiefs Release Eric Winston

Quote:

Originally Posted by gary (Post 2132355)
What's in store for Eric Winston now?

security at a northside cantina.

76Texan 03-06-2013 10:42 PM

Re: Chiefs Release Eric Winston

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trap_Star (Post 2132377)
security at a northside cantina.

LOL!

76Texan 03-06-2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooter (Post 2132374)
1 year with the chiefs and he got cut, his market value just hit the floor. unless we're planning on spending a first or second on offensive tackle (which i'd prefer), i'd most certainly try to bring him back. winston is what he is - a below average pass blocker but a heck of a run blocker who fits very will into our system. his pass pro is better than anyone else we could currently start at RT however, and somehow is solid in comparison to most RT's.

being unable to run consistently to the right side, the supposed strong side, was a huge hindrance late in the season. winston instantly improves that without any time needed to "gel". if we can get him at a hometown discount, rick smith should jump on it - again unless we plan on drafting the position.

I don't know how much pressure Winston gave up, but the combo of Harris and Newton combined to allow the same number of sacks as Winston (but with one fewer penalty.) That with Newton playing hurt or less than 100% for awhile and Winston was averaging 7.5 sacks allowed the previous two years.

The only thing we can say for sure is that Winston was the better run blocker; but Newton and Harris didn't have much time to gel with the rest of the O-line, which never had continuity to start with - having 3 different guys playing at RG.

We don't know if Newton will improve enough next year, but we can't rule that out either.

I don't think the Texans can afford more than a couple of mils for a FA; but who knows, maybe they will surprise us ?!?

ObsiWan 03-06-2013 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GP (Post 2132365)
Conflicted on this one.

His run blocking was better than anything we had on the right side in 2012.

But one has to wonder if he's thrown in the towel and is ready to pick up the microphone for a new career pursuit.

Then there's that whole messy "You cut me last year, Rick and Gary..." thing going on. With a splash of Drew HoseYourAss who is commanding the highest dollar on anything he represents. So....yeah, not much to see here. IMO.

I'm with you. I think he's worth a look but not if Drew whatshisname wants top dollar.
Wonder what sort of inquires he'll get from other teams...

Brisco_County 03-06-2013 11:03 PM

I don't see how any of the parties involved could compromise enough to make it work.