Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The National Football League (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Atlanta Releases Dunta, Turner and Abraham (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98926)

HoustonFrog 03-01-2013 08:55 AM

Atlanta Releases Dunta, Turner and Abraham

Dumping payroll. Vet hungry team anyone?

Quote:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

Major moves in ATL: Falcons are releasing CB Dunta Robinson, RB Michael Turner and DE John Abraham today

TheRealJoker 03-01-2013 08:59 AM

Re: Atlanta Releases Dunta, Turner and Abraham

I wonder if Dunta will take a paycut from Rick to play nickel for us?

Playoffs 03-01-2013 09:02 AM

Dumbta was rated 102/113 in coverage in 2012 by PFF.

Abraham had a nice year.

TheIronDuke 03-01-2013 09:04 AM

I've always thought Dumbta would make a better safety than CB. And we might just be needing a safety.

thunderkyss 03-01-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheIronDuke (Post 2130774)
I've always thought Dumbta would make a better safety than CB. And we might just be needing a safety.

I still say he plays like a safety in a CB's body. That CB's body is going to stop any team from seriously looking at him as a safety. There's no way he can take those hits for a full season. No way.

I also want to take the time to say, here we have another team preparing for the 2013 season while the Texans sit on their hands. We all know there is a lot of work to be done.

HoustonFrog 03-01-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheIronDuke (Post 2130774)

This is being discussed on the Cowboy board since they are in such horrendous safety shape.

Bulls on Parade 03-01-2013 10:08 AM

If only Dunta Robinson were five or six years younger. He's just not as good anymore.

Hardcore Texan 03-01-2013 10:25 AM

Dunta looked a lot like PBuc last year....burnt toast.

SheTexan 03-01-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2130777)
I also want to take the time to say, here we have another team preparing for the 2013 season while the Texans sit on their hands. We all know there is a lot of work to be done.

AND who's fault is that?

eriadoc 03-01-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SheTexan (Post 2130799)
AND who's fault is that?

Whoever hired Rick Smith? ;)

RazorOye 03-01-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

I still say he plays like a safety in a CB's body. That CB's body is going to stop any team from seriously looking at him as a safety. There's no way he can take those hits for a full season.

he can this more, instead, then. Stiffarms don't count as hits

http://thebiglead.fantasysportsven.n...m-11-11-12.gif

Personally, I hate to see him leave Atlanta.

CretorFrigg 03-01-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SheTexan (Post 2130799)
AND who's fault is that?

Jacoby Jones.

El Tejano 03-01-2013 12:39 PM

What's it gonna take to get John Abraham?

centexfan 03-01-2013 12:56 PM

Watching the NFL board on Reddit and seems like all the fans want Dunta except the two that have had him. :)

JCTexan 03-01-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Exactly. Why hasn't he released the entire team yet?!?!?!? This is unacceptable. Someone should be fired for this unjustifiable act! :sarcasm:

In all seriousness, the free agency period hasn't started yet & trades cannot be official for another two weeks (March 12th). The only thing they can do to the roster is releasing players and they can do that anytime this off-season. There is no reason to be critical of the Texans right now when the process hasn't even gotten underway yet.

thunderkyss 03-01-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCTexan (Post 2130830)
Exactly. Why hasn't he released the entire team yet?!?!?!? This is unacceptable. Someone should be fired for this unjustifiable act! :sarcasm:

In all seriousness, the free agency period hasn't started yet & trades cannot be official for another two weeks (March 12th). The only thing they can do to the roster is releasing players and they can do that anytime this off-season. There is no reason to be critical of the Texans right now when the process hasn't even gotten underway yet.

Other than the fact that they got caught last season with their pants down. Other than that, no reason to question what they are doing right now.

All that aside I found a few podcasts, one of them a comment was made that the Texans are currently engaged in talks with both Barwin & Quin, which is encouraging. Until then I thought they were waiting on Barwin to see what they can do with Quin & that makes no sense to me.

Podcasts: last one from 2/28

JCTexan 03-01-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2130843)
Other than the fact that they got caught last season with their pants down. Other than that, no reason to question what they are doing right now.

All that aside I found a few podcasts, one of them a comment was made that the Texans are currently engaged in talks with both Barwin & Quin, which is encouraging. Until then I thought they were waiting on Barwin to see what they can do with Quin & that makes no sense to me.

Podcasts: last one from 2/28

How exactly did they get caught with their pants down last season? By trading Ryans or releasing Winston? Or perhaps letting Brisiel walk in free agency? That sounds like the very thing you're advocating for right now. They could go ahead and release Kevin Walter or another cap casualty but otherwise the off-season process hasn't even started yet.

thunderkyss 03-01-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCTexan (Post 2130853)
How exactly did they get caught with their pants down last season?

They were expecting the cap to go up. When they found out it didn't, heads started to roll. Heads they weren't expecting to cut.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCTexan (Post 2130853)
By trading Ryans or releasing Winston? Or perhaps letting Brisiel walk in free agency? That sounds like the very thing you're advocating for right now. They could go ahead and release Kevin Walter or another cap casualty but otherwise the off-season process hasn't even started yet.

It hasn't started for the Texans yet, no. But that's my point. Other teams are preparing for March 12th, looks like we'll still be dealing with Connor & Quin, who we've been able to talk to & work out a deal with since Jan 13th, for another month, while other teams are signing guys who could help us.

We'll be clearing cap room in May, then waiting for the final cut in August to find a worth-while FA.

Wolf 03-02-2013 09:47 AM

The Texans also were smart enough to act like there was a cap while there was a cap less year

Playoffs 03-02-2013 01:07 PM

Falcons angling to ink Matt Ryan to a Flacco-like deal?

Quote:

Turnerís release saves the team $6.4 million under the salary cap. Abraham saves the $5.75 million and Robinson saves $3.75 million. In all, the team got $15.9 million under the salary cap by releasing the three veterans.
- See more at: http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/footb....ZH2CjTrk.dpuf