Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Texans Draft QB in 1st or 2nd (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98893)

HoustonFrog 02-27-2013 11:15 AM

Texans Draft QB in 1st or 2nd
 
Excuse me if this is mixed in here somewhere

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/n...-headlines?r=1


Quote:

According to HoustonTexans.com, it's "not outside the realm of possibility" the team uses its first- or second-round pick on a quarterback.
"In this business, you better be looking for young quarterbacks you think have a chance to be a 10-12 year guy," coach Gary Kubiak said. Despite his comments, Kubiak insists he has faith in Matt Schaub and T.J. Yates. With Schaub in decline and Yates still a wild card, we don't doubt the Texans would pull the trigger on an early-round QB if they found themselves smitten. It's also possible the Texans are simply trying to create a market for the 27th pick.

nero THE zero 02-27-2013 11:45 AM

Re: Texans Draft QB in 1st or 2nd
 
Here's the link to the source article.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...b-e73954e0451b
Quote:

The Texans have drafted two quarterbacks under Kubiak and general manager/executive vice president of football operations Rick Smith: Yates, a fifth-rounder in 2011, and Alex Brink, a seventh-rounder in 2008. So history says that if they draft a quarterback this year, it’ll be in the later rounds.

But if someone the Texans think is potential franchise quarterback – say, Matt Barkley of USC or E.J. Manuel of Florida State – is on the board when they pick in the first round or two, it’s not outside the realm of possibility that they would draft him. Such a player could compete with the Texans’ young backups and learn under Schaub and Kubiak for a few seasons before he’d be expected to start.

TexansSeminole 02-27-2013 12:01 PM

Re: Texans Draft QB in 1st or 2nd
 
I really, really hope we stay away from E.J. Manuel. I've already wasted enough time watching him struggle on my other football team.

Honoring Earl 34 02-27-2013 12:07 PM

Re: Texans Draft QB in 1st or 2nd
 
If Barkley was there , I might do it . He is bigger than they thought at 6'3 with 10 inch hands . A four year starter at a name school and good character to boot . This is how the Packers got Aaron Rodgers .

Playoffs 02-27-2013 12:07 PM

Re: Texans Draft QB in 1st or 2nd
 
Not seeing it.

I pretty much ignore everything I hear from teams from just past the Combine to the draft.

nero THE zero 02-27-2013 12:12 PM

Re: Texans Draft QB in 1st or 2nd
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Playoffs (Post 2130141)
Not seeing it.

I pretty much ignore everything I hear from teams from just past the Combine to the draft.

To be fair, this isn't even from the team, per se. It's pure conjecture from the team's media arm.

Insideop 02-27-2013 12:43 PM

Re: Texans Draft QB in 1st or 2nd
 
If Barkley somehow fell to the 3rd I wonder if the Texans would take him! I'd be shocked though if he made it to them in the 2nd round (#57).

VTexan 02-27-2013 07:07 PM

Re: Texans Draft QB in 1st or 2nd
 
I think you have to go Barkley in the 2nd if he's there. That would be great value considering before the year it was general consensus that he would be going number one overall.

thunderkyss 02-27-2013 07:31 PM

Re: Texans Draft QB in 1st or 2nd
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by VTexan (Post 2130299)
I think you have to go Barkley in the 2nd if he's there. That would be great value considering before the year it was general consensus that he would be going number one overall.

Kinda like Matt Lienart.

ChampionTexan 02-27-2013 07:45 PM

Re: Texans Draft QB in 1st or 2nd
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2130311)
Kinda like Matt Lienart.

No - think Dave Ragone!

HOU-TEX 02-28-2013 08:41 AM

Re: Texans Draft QB in 1st or 2nd
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nero THE zero (Post 2130142)
To be fair, this isn't even from the team, per se. It's pure conjecture from the team's media arm.

Yeah, Kubiak made a couple comments when asked a question at the Combine and everyone's running with it. He even said they do the same evaluation of QBs every year. I reckon Schaub's rough stretch has about everything to do with it. Much ado about nada, imo

Quote:

(Evaluating the QB depth in draft) "You're always looking to do that. I have a young player in T.J. (Yates) who I think a lot of. He goes from playing a lot of football, starting a playoff game to basically not doing much of all this year, having maybe 10 snaps, that was tough. I have a young player from the Univ. of Houston in Case Keenum, I think a lot of who came a long way for me last year. I feel good about those guys pushing Matt. And then we did sign McGee here a couple of weeks ago. In this business, you better be looking for young quarterbacks you think have a chance to be a 10, 12-year guy. This year will be no different.''
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...a-241c531ffbc1

Playoffs 02-28-2013 09:24 AM

Re: Texans Draft QB in 1st or 2nd
 
Quote:

In all likelihood the Texans are feigning interest in a quarterback in a possible effort to stimulate trade talk where they sit at the bottom of round one, knowing the scenario exists where a quarterback needy team might trade up into the bottom of round one to land a better value at the quarterback position.
http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/0...back-interest/

El Tejano 03-01-2013 03:21 PM

Re: Texans Draft QB in 1st or 2nd
 
Before it's all said and done Case Keenum will emerge as the starting QB who will do magnificent things with our team!

thunderkyss 03-01-2013 05:51 PM

Re: Texans Draft QB in 1st or 2nd
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Playoffs (Post 2130424)
http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/0...back-interest/

Quote:

In all likelihood the Texans are feigning interest in a quarterback in a possible effort to stimulate trade talk where they sit at the bottom of round one, knowing the scenario exists where a quarterback needy team might trade up into the bottom of round one to land a better value at the quarterback position.

If I were a QB hungry team & I thought the Texans were looking at a QB, I would think their asking price would be higher than the team choosing just ahead of them. If the Texans want a QB, why would they trade their pick?

In that case, I would trade with the team ahead of the Texans to get my QB.

With that in mind, if the Texans are truly feigning interest, they aren't looking for a trade partner, they are looking for someone to draft a QB ahead of them so the player they really want falls to them....... or, if the next three or four teams aren't in the QB market, then a team may chose to trade, thinking the QB the Texans want would be there two or three choices later.

So yeah....... I don't know.

steelbtexan 03-01-2013 06:35 PM

Re: Texans Draft QB in 1st or 2nd
 
Sounds like Barkley or hopefully Bray will be under consideration.

This is a good thing. Keenum also could be the answer. Hopefully he has improved in the Texans more conventional offense.

Wolf6151 03-01-2013 06:55 PM

Re: Texans Draft QB in 1st or 2nd
 
The Texans can talk all the BS they want and lay down all the smoke screens as well, I'd be completely shocked if the Texans took a QB in the 1st or 2nd round. We just re-signed Schaub to a new contract and will owe him guaranteed money for at least the first 2 yrs.. I also don't think they want a new franchise QB sitting on the bench for 2 yrs. either, not to mention that if they did go after a starting QB prospect then I'd expect Schaub's performance on the field to suffer accordingly. Also this years QB crop ain't that good and I'd expect they might go after one in 2014 to sit for 1 yr. behind Schaub and hopefully 2014 is a better crop of QB's.

greekdbag 03-02-2013 12:55 AM

Re: Texans Draft QB in 1st or 2nd
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf6151 (Post 2130925)
The Texans can talk all the BS they want and lay down all the smoke screens as well, I'd be completely shocked if the Texans took a QB in the 1st or 2nd round. We just re-signed Schaub to a new contract and will owe him guaranteed money for at least the first 2 yrs.. I also don't think they want a new franchise QB sitting on the bench for 2 yrs. either, not to mention that if they did go after a starting QB prospect then I'd expect Schaub's performance on the field to suffer accordingly. Also this years QB crop ain't that good and I'd expect they might go after one in 2014 to sit for 1 yr. behind Schaub and hopefully 2014 is a better crop of QB's.

It should be better. You'll possibly have Teddy Bridgewater, AJ Mccarron, Aaron Murray, Marcus Mariota, Johnny Manziel, Tahj Boyd, etc.

VTexan 03-04-2013 09:02 PM

Re: Texans Draft QB in 1st or 2nd
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2130311)
Kinda like Matt Lienart.

RIP

b0ng 03-05-2013 10:43 AM

Re: Texans Draft QB in 1st or 2nd
 
Nooooooo, wait until 2014 to do that crap. QB class is waaaaaaaaaay deeper.

EDIT;

Teddy Bridgewater
Johnny Manziel
Blake Bortles
Kevin Hogan
Marcus Mariota

It's going to be a way better QB class than 2013.

steelbtexan 03-05-2013 10:53 AM

Re: Texans Draft QB in 1st or 2nd
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0ng (Post 2131785)
Nooooooo, wait until 2014 to do that crap. QB class is waaaaaaaaaay deeper.

EDIT;

Teddy Bridgewater
Johnny Manziel
Blake Bortles
Kevin Hogan
Marcus Mariota

It's going to be a way better QB class than 2013.

While I do agree with you the Texans should wait to draft a QB, unless Bray falls to the bottom of the 2nd/3rd rd.

Getting a QB of the future is hardly crap. Getting a QB that has accuracy/arm strength and a little bit of mobility, as well as being able to read a defense is kind of important.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger