Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mock Draft Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Would you be mad if the Texans drafted the top rated Safety (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98886)

thunderkyss 02-26-2013 07:04 PM

Would you be mad if the Texans drafted the top rated Safety

With #27?

Let's say the top rated safety is still on the board at 27, do you think the Texans should draft him?

This is what I'm thinking. Danieal didn't have a great 2012. To me, it looked like he was "trying" to be as good as he was in 2011, found himself out of position a lot & his man cover skills are suspect (jmo).

I know Quin is our main cover TE. But Danieal is asked to do it as well, more times than I like, leaving Keo/Demps to play center field. I much rather Manning stay back & play center field.

So let's say we pick the best safety in this draft (I don't know who that would be) & as the best, I'm going to assume he has good man coverage skills, he's versatile enough to play in the box, & he's got pretty good range when needed.

We could start Quin (if we resign/franchise him) start Manning, then on passing downs, bring the rook in, leaving Manning back deep. He'd get playing time, he'll be allowed to acclimate, he'll be "earning" playing time.

If everything works out, we cut Manning after 2013, saving $4.5M against the 2014 cap.

What do you think?

PapaL 02-26-2013 07:08 PM

Re: Would you be mad if the Texans drafted the top rated Safety

With as often as we use 3 Safety's I would not mind this at all.

I do however like what Manning brings to the team and don't see him being booted anytime soon...especially w our leadership in question since last year's cuts.

aussie_texan 02-26-2013 07:16 PM

the only reason i would be mad is because if we are drafting S in the 1st its because we lost quin in FA

badboy 02-26-2013 07:18 PM

Yep pretty mad. Too many lower round guys who are quite satisfactory.

mussop 02-26-2013 08:34 PM

NOPE!! I don't really care what position we draft in the first so long as they start. I really really want one of the top DT's but as long as we are adding high quality starter ill be happy.

steelbtexan 02-26-2013 08:44 PM

Yes I would be mad.

If a S was drafted he wouldn't be a starter. The Texans need a starter coming out of the 1st rd.

TexansSeminole 02-26-2013 09:58 PM

Not at all. Like Papal said, he would be used alot even as a 3rd safety.

WolverineFan 02-26-2013 11:11 PM

I would be ecstatic if we drafted Matt Elam.

Brandon420tx 02-26-2013 11:40 PM

I'd be good with it

Wolf6151 02-27-2013 01:56 AM

Yes I'd be mad. We've got much bigger holes on the team than backup Safety. I agree we should get better at #3 Safety but not in the 1st round or even the first 3 rounds. There's much bigger needs at NT, WR, ILB, and O-line depth. Besides I want a really tall Safety like TJ McDonald, or a converted CB like Tharold Simon.

greekdbag 02-27-2013 02:09 AM

Yeah, I hope the first four picks include a DT, a WR, an LB, and an OT. Then with their fourth round pick they can get a DB.

TexansSeminole 02-27-2013 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf6151 (Post 2130019)
Yes I'd be mad. We've got much bigger holes on the team than backup Safety. I agree we should get better at #3 Safety but not in the 1st round or even the first 3 rounds. There's much bigger needs at NT, WR, ILB, and O-line depth. Besides I want a really tall Safety like TJ McDonald, or a converted CB like Tharold Simon.

Why a really tall safety? I don't understand the thought process behind that.

Also Simon is garbage, he pretty much got beat by every quality receiver he ever faced. He is one of those guys I watched and scratched off my list awhile ago.

I think people are going to be surprised how quickly Manning's game declines. It may not happen this year, but we should prepare for it to happen here in the next two or three years.

Dread-Head 02-27-2013 02:31 AM

:thinking: So you're asking if I would be upset if the sharks in our shark tank suddenly had lasers attached to their heads? Uh...NO. I'd be doing a happy dance!

Wolf6151 02-27-2013 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexansSeminole (Post 2130022)
Why a really tall safety? I don't understand the thought process behind that.

Also Simon is garbage, he pretty much got beat by every quality receiver he ever faced. He is one of those guys I watched and scratched off my list awhile ago.

I think people are going to be surprised how quickly Manning's game declines. It may not happen this year, but we should prepare for it to happen here in the next two or three years.

The idea of having a tall Safety is that we'd have better coverage on these new era tall/athletic TE's.

As for Simon, he got burnt by WR's, thus the idea of moving him to Safety so that he can cover TE's on 3rd down situations.

beerlover 02-27-2013 03:05 AM

you mean the top rated safety drops to the Texans? I could live with Dee Milliner. I really think that's his best position next level. Rhodes & Banks as well.

Trufant is easily the best CB & I wouldn't be surprised if he goes to Chip Kelly & the Eagles instead of Milliner @ #4. But there are about 4 or 5 CB's I would take over the top classified top safety prospect Kenny Vaccaro. Like BB said plenty of good safeties later as well, not the smartest move, IMO.

Playoffs 02-27-2013 08:31 AM

Milliner, Trufant, and Vaccaro will be off the board before 27. Maybe more, so we won't have a shot at the top rated DBs.

thunderkyss 02-27-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf6151 (Post 2130019)
Yes I'd be mad. We've got much bigger holes on the team than backup Safety.

In the short term, I agree. We have much bigger needs. However, the salary cap won't be going up next season either & cutting or trading Danieal Manning would save us $4.5M against the cap.

Right now, we're in trouble if we aren't able to hold on to Glover Quin & even though franchising will hurt cap position, we may not have a choice... at least not a good choice.

The time to prepare for possibly losing Danieal Manning is now. If his replacement is already on the team, then we have options next offseason we don't have now with our Quin situation.

badboy 02-28-2013 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beerlover (Post 2130030)
you mean the top rated safety drops to the Texans? I could live with Dee Milliner. I really think that's his best position next level. Rhodes & Banks as well.

Trufant is easily the best CB & I wouldn't be surprised if he goes to Chip Kelly & the Eagles instead of Milliner @ #4. But there are about 4 or 5 CB's I would take over the top classified top safety prospect Kenny Vaccaro. Like BB said plenty of good safeties later as well, not the smartest move, IMO.

100% agree with your evaluation of DBs. Banks cost himself a bit of $ during his combine. I wished we could get Trufant somehow and still get NT and WR. I guess it is possible especially if we could end up with 3 second round picks.

JimBaker488 03-01-2013 10:02 PM

Absolutely

Corrosion 03-02-2013 08:28 PM

I wouldnt be bothered by it at all .... With as much as they play nickle and dime coverage I think its a good investment even if they retain Quin which I really hope they do as he is key to what they do on the back end.

The other needs they have like WR and ILB have depth and value into the 3rd and 4th rounds respectively.

The only issue I'd have is not getting one of the top NT's .... but they might be able to fill that void in FA - Dont see Cody returning as the cost and injury issues just dont add up.

Ideally you would trade out of the first round to an early #2 and pick up two of NT , WR , S.