Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mock Draft Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   NFL.com Mock (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98788)

NCTexan 02-21-2013 01:48 PM

NFL.com Mock

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/mock-d...-brooks/165102

It has the Texans taking Robert Woods, but more importantly it has Star Lotulelei falling to number 18. Did something come out about him I'm not aware of? If he falls that far I hope we trade up and grab him.

Insideop 02-21-2013 05:35 PM

Re: NFL.com Mock

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCTexan (Post 2128207)

It has the Texans taking Robert Woods, but more importantly it has Star Lotulelei falling to number 18. Did something come out about him I'm not aware of? If he falls that far I hope we trade up and grab him.

I guess if Woods is who they want I'm OK with that, but I think Hopkins may be a little better. As for Lotulelei falling that far, I don't think it will happen, but hey, you never know. Don't think the Texans would go up that far to get him. Might cost (picks) too much.

Wolf6151 02-21-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCTexan (Post 2128207)

I'm not sure who Bucky Brooks is and not sure that his mock is worth anything more than yours or mine but if the draft did fall like this I'd be disappointed if the Texans took Robert Woods while DeAndre Hopkins, Quinton Patton, and Justin Hunter were still on the board. I don't think Woods is worth our #27 pick. He's good but I just don't see anything really special about him. Of course that makes him a perfect Kubiak pick.

As for Lotulelei if he fell to #18 I'd give serious consideration to trading up and getting him but it all depends on cost. The same could also be said for Sheldon Richardson who is shown be fall to #23, depending on cost I'd seriously look at trading up for him. I know that DE isn't a big need right now but he could be another JJ Watt, measurables and motor.

mussop 02-21-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf6151 (Post 2128313)
I'm not sure who Bucky Brooks is and not sure that his mock is worth anything more than yours or mine but if the draft did fall like this I'd be disappointed if the Texans took Robert Woods while DeAndre Hopkins, Quinton Patton, and Justin Hunter were still on the board. I don't think Woods is worth our #27 pick. He's good but I just don't see anything really special about him. Of course that makes him a perfect Kubiak pick.

As for Lotulelei if he fell to #18 I'd give serious consideration to trading up and getting him but it all depends on cost. The same could also be said for Sheldon Richardson who is shown be fall to #23, depending on cost I'd seriously look at trading up for him. I know that DE isn't a big need right now but he could be another JJ Watt, measurables and motor.

If either of them were to fall that far we would be crazy not to at least try and move up to grab one. The price in the early rounds of this draft to move around (up or down) shouldn't be as much as it wold be on other drafts because the talent level is pretty even.

By this is one of the worst mocks I have seen.

Lucky 02-21-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf6151 (Post 2128313)
I'm not sure who Bucky Brooks is and not sure that his mock is worth anything more than yours or mine...

Former NFL player and current SI.com & NFL.com columnist. And his mock isn't any better (or worse) than yours or mine.

NCTexan 02-21-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky (Post 2128407)
Former NFL player and current SI.com & NFL.com columnist. And his mock isn't any better (or worse) than yours or mine.

Ah didn't even think about that. Should've looked up who he was and his background... :kitten:

But anyway, interesting conversation at least. What would you guys be willing to give up to move to the 18 spot for Star?

Lucky 02-21-2013 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCTexan (Post 2128410)
But anyway, interesting conversation at least. What would you guys be willing to give up to move to the 18 spot for Star?

I would be more interested in moving up for Patterson.

steelbtexan 02-21-2013 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCTexan (Post 2128410)
Ah didn't even think about that. Should've looked up who he was and his background... :kitten:

Probably trading places in the 1st #27

The 3rd rd pick and a 5th rd pick.

Atleast that's what it was when the Ravens traded up for Flacco and the Texans got D.Brown. The 1st rd picks were comparable. IIRC

Yes I would do that deal for either Star or Richardson. They are true difference makers.

I'm really starting to warm up to the idea of Justin Hunter though. If he makes the improvement in yr 2 after coming back from his ACL, I could see Hunter becoming an A.J. Green type WR after a couple of yrs in the NFL.

Lucky 02-22-2013 12:11 AM

Quote:

1. Robert Woods WR USC

Andre Johnson remains one of the best receivers in the NFL, but he needs a quality complement on the opposite side to take some of the offensive load off his shoulders. Woods, who played in Marqise Lee's shadow during his final season at USC, is a polished receiver with a game that is suited for the pros.

Woods had a down junior season after an offseason ankle injury. He was lights out as a soph. Still, Woods has a way of getting into the end zone (33 TDs in 38 career games). Draft gurus may be sleeping on this guy.

Wolf6151 02-22-2013 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelbtexan (Post 2128418)

Atleast that's what it was when the Ravens traded up for Flacco and the Texans got D.Brown. The 1st rd picks were comparable. IIRC

Yes I would do that deal for either Star or Richardson. They are true difference makers.

I'm really starting to warm up to the idea of Justin Hunter though. If he makes the improvement in yr 2 after coming back from his ACL, I could see Hunter becoming an A.J. Green type WR after a couple of yrs in the NFL.

This is surprising, I also don't remember the specifics of that trade but I would expect it to have been much more expensive than that. If we could move from #27 to #18 for only a 3rd and 5th then I'd jump on that trade fast. I agree Lotulelei and Richardson are difference makers and both are worth trading up for depending on cost, even if it's expensive.

I also have been thinking of Hunter as an A.J. Green type of WR, a very good comparison and agree that it will probably take about 2 yrs. for him to get there. Hunter is currently listed as a late 2nd or early 3rd round prospect but if he has a great Combine, especially in the positional drills, then I can see him moving up to being a late 1st rounder.

badboy 02-22-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelbtexan (Post 2128418)

Texans received a 3rd, 5th and a 6th (Dominique Barber).

76Texan 02-22-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky (Post 2128424)
Woods had a down junior season after an offseason ankle injury. He was lights out as a soph. Still, Woods has a way of getting into the end zone (33 TDs in 38 career games). Draft gurus may be sleeping on this guy.

I don't think the NFL coaches and GMs are sleeping on him.
Woods is an offensive weapon alright.
The thing is that there are several in this class.

badboy 02-22-2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky (Post 2128424)

He's good but Stedman Bailey of West Virginia 114/1622 15.1 avg 25 TDs one season not career.

76Texan 02-22-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf6151 (Post 2128430)
This is surprising, I also don't remember the specifics of that trade but I would expect it to have been much more expensive than that. If we could move from #27 to #18 for only a 3rd and 5th then I'd jump on that trade fast. I agree Lotulelei and Richardson are difference makers and both are worth trading up for depending on cost, even if it's expensive.

I also have been thinking of Hunter as an A.J. Green type of WR, a very good comparison and agree that it will probably take about 2 yrs. for him to get there. Hunter is currently listed as a late 2nd or early 3rd round prospect but if he has a great Combine, especially in the positional drills, then I can see him moving up to being a late 1st rounder.

It's gonna be hard to predict how many receivers to go in the first round.

Don't forget Marcus Davis who measured in at 6'3-1/8 and 230 LBs at the Shrine game, with 33-3/4" arm length and 10-1/8 hands.
The guy is just a freak, having been timed under 4.4 in the 40s with a 44" vertical.

Hagar 02-22-2013 04:15 PM

I'd rather have Minter or Ried before the USC kid. I watch LSU alot and both Ried and Minter have skills.

Wolf6151 02-22-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 76Texan (Post 2128485)
It's gonna be hard to predict how many receivers to go in the first round.

Don't forget Marcus Davis who measured in at 6'3-1/8 and 230 LBs at the Shrine game, with 33-3/4" arm length and 10-1/8 hands.
The guy is just a freak, having been timed under 4.4 in the 40s with a 44" vertical.

On CBS/NFLDraftscout Marcus Davis has fallen to the 7th round.

If we're going off measurables take a look at Rodney Smith from FSU, he's listed at 6'04" and 225 lbs. with 34 3/4" arms and 10 3/8" hands. He's listed by CBS to be a 5th-6th round pick. He needs to work on his focus and routes according to CBS, but he'd be worth a late pick if we double up at WR.

badboy 02-22-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf6151 (Post 2128692)

If we're going off measurables take a look at Rodney Smith from FSU, he's listed at 6'04" and 225 lbs. with 34 3/4" arms and 10 3/8" hands. He's listed by CBS to be a 5th-6th round pick. He needs to work on his focus and routes according to CBS, but he'd be worth a late pick if we double up at WR.

Yeah I mocked Davis for long time as he has everything but the ball.

76Texan 02-22-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf6151 (Post 2128692)

I actually have been looking at Rodney before, and somewhat "in-depth" the last couple of days. Definitely worth at least a sixth round pick, probably higher. He's underutilized in that balanced offense. He doesn't have the lateral movement and the agility, but there's something there that I like (besides his height). His hands aren't bad, and his blocking is quite good. He might be better than Jean; but... can we spend a late round pick on another position instead?

I don't know if it's an easy thing to do if you're a HC and/or a GM.
A sixth, well, I think I just have to, since we're going to have a fews.

Man, I don't think building a team is all that easy as some think.

76Texan 02-22-2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 2128697)
Yeah I mocked Davis for long time as he has everything but the ball.

Where do you mock him? In which part of which round?

Right now, I put him in the mid-fourth; but I think the combine can only move him up. ???

76Texan 02-22-2013 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hagar (Post 2128676)
I'd rather have Minter or Ried before the USC kid. I watch LSU alot and both Ried and Minter have skills.

I haven't watched much of Minter.
I do like Reid's athleticism, but he does look a bit like Pollard at times.
I want to put him in the late second, I think he has the skill set to be a starter.
On the other hand, I'm not quite sure about his mindset.

That's why I think that this draft is very deep overall.
You don't have many close to complete guys, but a lot of them flash potentials.