Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Texans Hire Jeff Zgonina (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98769)

HOU-TEX 02-20-2013 01:33 PM

Texans Hire Jeff Zgonina

Some might not think this is thread worthy, but I always liked this dude for some reason. He wasn't the best, but he worked harder than any player I've seen at TC. Plus, dude's built like a dadgum stump.

Quote:

Tania Ganguli‏

The #Texans hired former Texans DT Jeff Zgonina as assistant d line coach. D-Line coach Bill Kollar was Zgonina's position coach in college
Quote:

Mark Berman‏@MarkBermanFox26

Texans announce Jeff Zgonina as the team's ass't. D-line coach & promote Russell Joyner to director of football information systems.

eriadoc 02-20-2013 01:34 PM

Re: Texans Hire Jeff Zgonina

I think it's a good hire. Like you said, the guy had an amazing work ethic.

Big Lou 02-20-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eriadoc (Post 2127825)
I think it's a good hire. Like you said, the guy had an amazing work ethic.

Plus he has a lot of experience!!! He played in the league for 47 years.

Rey 02-20-2013 01:52 PM

These kinds of players actually make some of the best coaches.

mussop 02-20-2013 01:55 PM

Can't go wrong with a hard working intelligent coach who played and is personable.

CloakNNNdagger 02-20-2013 02:03 PM

He's carrying a lot of baggage back to the Texans.............GOOD baggage! A Sun Sentinel piece written back in 2004......nothing changed when he joined the Texans the first time.......no reason to think it has since then.

The Zgonina Way
12-year Veteran Brings Infectious Ethic, Leadership To Clubhouse.
September 7, 2004|By Dave Joseph Staff writer

Just a small excerpt:
Quote:

"You won't find another athlete with as much respect, as much experience, as Jeff Zgonina in this game," Chester said. "He's seen everything and done most of it. His passion runs so deep. No matter what kind of environment he's in, he still tries to be the best.

"I'm inspired by him to work harder and try to refine myself as a student of the game. He's not only a student but probably a professor. Having that guy around you does nothing but affect the rest of the team."

Brooks believes Zgonina is "a great role model for younger players" and has been a "stabilizing influence."

"The guy's experienced," Brooks said. "He's been on a Super Bowl team. He's a guy who's been released and signed, released and signed. ... He's know what it's like to be on the streets. He's in his 30s, 12 years in the league, and he runs around here like he's 25. That's how he practices, how he prepares, that's how he plays. He's focused on being a professional and he's focused on the game. He has a lot of respect for the game and for himself."

Dutchrudder 02-20-2013 02:05 PM

I wonder how many people around here know how to pronounce his last name.

thunderkyss 02-20-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOU-TEX (Post 2127824)
Some might not think this is thread worthy, but I always liked this dude for some reason. He wasn't the best, but he worked harder than any player I've seen at TC. Plus, dude's built like a dadgum stump.

I liked him as a player. Not a star by any means, but a role player. Got to have role players.

HOU-TEX 02-20-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutchrudder (Post 2127842)
I wonder how many people around here know how to pronounce his last name.

Skaneena

bOODRO87 02-20-2013 02:08 PM

Why do we still have Marciano, FFS. The worst ST coach in the NFL..

deucetx 02-20-2013 02:10 PM

Always nice to have blue collar guys on staff and on the sidelines. As for the question on Marciano....even someone on Jeopardy couldn't answer that question lol.

TheRealJoker 02-20-2013 02:12 PM

Good hire.

thunderkyss 02-20-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRealJoker (Post 2127848)
Good hire.

If he can instill the same work ethic he had.... what am I talking about, he's coaching Jj Watt & Antonio Smith.

But I do like the hire.

Lurvinator11 02-20-2013 05:14 PM

I really like this hire. Has he had any coaching experience prior to this?

TEXANRED 02-20-2013 05:16 PM

Welcome back Jeff.

pec0sb0b 02-20-2013 05:19 PM

Give him a gift with the first draft pick...Nose Tackle Jonathan Jenkins, Georgia

Bulls on Parade 02-20-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pec0sb0b (Post 2127921)
Give him a gift with the first draft pick...Nose Tackle Jonathan Jenkins, Georgia

Why wouldn't you want a J.J. Watt clone in Margus Hunt out of SMU? That's who I hope we land with our first-round pick, trading up if necessary.

hot pickle 02-20-2013 05:30 PM

awesome pick up !!!! hope he can bring some fire to the DT/NT position

Insideop 02-20-2013 05:30 PM

I like the hire. Hope he does a good job. Congrats Jeff!

SAMURAITEXAN 02-20-2013 06:33 PM

Good hire. He's been around for many years and should be able to teach our guys some moves, work ethic, etc. from his experience.