Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texan Tailgate (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Sports Talk Radio, Texans (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98676)

Texans_Chick 02-15-2013 04:39 PM

Sports Talk Radio, Texans

I listen to more sports talk radio than I should.

Had a small run in with Josh Innes that exposed me to some really disgraceful radio he is doing. I don't care what he thinks of me, but apparently he cares what I think of his program. I usually do not listen much to him, but if he wants a dialogue on creeper radio, this is it:

My love and hate for sports talk radio

Generally, the solutions to most talk radio is to switch the channel. But when 610 is home of the Texans, it just seems repulsive that we still have this sort of act going on in 2013.

If you have any opinions on this subject, or sports talk radio in general, I urge you to leave a comment there and share the post on FB/Twitter. I know various people at the Texans read my blog, and you never know when you can make a difference with things just by sharing a reasoned opinion on the interwebs.

thunderkyss 02-15-2013 07:47 PM

Re: Sports Talk Radio, Texans

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texans_Chick (Post 2126280)
Quote:

So here is my manifesto...

Seems like everyone's got one of those nowadays... I think it's a fad.

We'll see.

Texans_Chick 02-15-2013 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2126321)
Seems like everyone's got one of those nowadays... I think it's a fad.

We'll see.

I don't care for his show, but not like that. lol.

Playoffs 02-15-2013 08:49 PM

I was actually listening when he brought up your name and was thinking that guy may not know it, yet, but he's about to get more than he bargained for.

Howard Stern'ism. The gold standard lowest common denominator of creepers. Aspiring to that is, at best, un-original. They already did that routine at 8th grade recess, guys. The balance of it was just kinda mean. If Kate were my sister, I think I would have had to dot a few eyes.

Kimmy 02-16-2013 12:16 AM

He's wildly inappropriate but I find myself laughing more than gasping. I like him :shrug:

Lucky 02-16-2013 01:45 AM

Quote:

You see, if you are a hetero and help raise money for a womens shelter, then you can get paid to say whatever vulgar things you want about women. Im wondering what hed feel free to say if he helped raise money for the NAACP. Or hey, I donated to the ASPCA, let me kick some puppies!
That was one of your best blogs. What's sad is that this guy really believes his own pretzel logic.

Let's call it as it is - 610 has gone to $%^* since Lance, John, and Charlie left. Yes, they have the Texans contract. And Texans fans are worse served because of it. I know squat about radio programming, and maybe straight sportstalk without the lame shtick doesn't pull ratings. It's too bad so much has to cater to the lowest common denominator.

BullBlitz 02-16-2013 07:36 AM

He's nothing more than a poorly educated fan with a microphone whose act appeals to largely to his kind.

Unfortunately every slot in the programming day has one person who so blatantly ignorant about sports that it isn't worth listening to the station anymore.

Now that the station director who assembled this group is gone, I expect the lineup to change pretty quickly after new management arrives.

BullBlitz 02-16-2013 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky (Post 2126404)
That was one of your best blogs. What's sad is that this guy really believes his own pretzel logic.

Let's call it as it is - 610 has gone to $%^* since Lance, John, and Charlie left. Yes, they have the Texans contract. And Texans fans are worse served because of it. I know squat about radio programming, and maybe straight sportstalk without the lame shtick doesn't pull ratings. It's too bad so much has to cater to the lowest common denominator.

Many of the largest consumer businesses in the world appeal to the lowest common denominator. That's where the customer base is largest. But it doesn't mean that we have to subject ourselves to the garbage they offer.

darrinlane 02-16-2013 08:54 AM

I have my radio tuned in to 610 most of the time. When I get off work, it is tuned into 790?. I do anything to listen to Zeurlein...sure I messed the spelling up on that one! At lunch I listen to 790 as well for the "in the trenches". I suppose that can get a bit creepy...but it's mostly funny when not directly talking about football. They have really good insight on the game from former players points of view. I enjoy "Texan Chick" and her blog more than Innis..or whatever his name is.

Honoring Earl 34 02-16-2013 08:59 AM

If I need a quick fix and I'm able .

Morning Matt and Adam
10-12 ND and Koch
12- ? Seth Payne
drive time LZ and CP

IDEXAN 02-16-2013 12:43 PM

Sounds like somebody is trying to get this Innes guy unemployed or another radio station besides 610 as the Texans' flag-ship station, or maybe both ?
My thoughts - I think allowing women reporters access to the locker rooms of male jocks is about as bright of an idea as putting women into combat units of the military.

handswarmer 02-16-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IDEXAN (Post 2126465)
Sounds like somebody is trying to get this Innes guy unemployed or another radio station besides 610 as the Texans' flag-ship station, or maybe both ?
My thoughts - I think allowing women reporters access to the locker rooms of male jocks is about as bright of an idea as putting women into combat units of the military.

Way to keep up with the times...this is the thinking that keeps intact the Caveman mentality.

handswarmer 02-16-2013 02:00 PM

80-90% of Sports talk radio (i include everywhere) is bullcrap..fans who somehow got into the business or Local sportscasters who try to do a radio show; either way, they all have the same schtick "I'm gonna tell you the way it is; you won't like it but its the truth" somehow implying that they are the only one who can 'bring the truth' to the homers who listen.

Its worn out and tired; there are very few good sportstalkers around- even the national guys suck: Rome, Cowherd, Brando, etc.> no idea how they still have an audience...

Personal agenda's have no place in radio, neother does making fun of, disparaging, dennigrating or flat out laughing at the callers/listeners...

keep looking around; there;s better out there.

thunderkyss 02-16-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

I agree. However, unlike the caveman, I respect women too much to put them in a locker room or on the battlefield in harms way. Maybe I am a bit of a neanderthal & my instincts are to protect women and not expose them.

I admit there are women out there that could kick my butt & probably handle a locker room better than me, but my instincts are to protect them. I would not seek access to a woman's locker room for equality.

Truthfully, in I'd rather ban all reporters from the locker room to promote equality. I really don't care to see a bunch of half naked jocks running around in towels.

Texans_Chick 02-16-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

I just want quality sports talk. Everywhere. My blog is sort of a response to not seeing/hearing the dialogue I wanted to read.

The next time that JI says anything intelligent about the Texans will likely be the first time. Most posters here know more about the team.

FWIW, a while back I got crosswise with Richard Justice. Long story. He messed with me on the radio in a way where it was very awkward because my husband was all wtf. I blogged about it to get RJ to stop because asking my editor to help me was not working until I blogged about it not on the Chron.

Years later, over time, RJ had me as a guest on his radio show, apologized, said nice things about the stuff I do. And that he's come around on the whole issue of journo v. bloggers.

JI asked me on Twitter what was creeper, casually sexist about what he does....which is totally disingenuous given what he said on his show and his stated position that his type of radio is a deliberate choice, and not just a guy being a bleephole dbag.

But maybe his question to me was real. (not likely). Maybe he doesn't realize how retrograde he can be. Sometimes, when you identify an issue with things, you can effectuate change for the better. I've seen it happen.

So I tilt at the windmills. I like redemption stories. Of course, one of the commenters on the blog hoped that JI would go to Dallas to rejoin former 610 guy Gavin Spittle who originally gave him the job. Is it ok for me to wish him on Dallas?

The comments of the blog post are a good read if you are sports talk radio sort. Very much gives a good snapshot of 2013 sports talk radio in Houston.

Rey 02-16-2013 06:36 PM

I like Josh...

I was actually listening when he talked about you, and I actually agreed with his take.

That's nothing against you or anything you write. But on this topic, I agreed with him.

Most people that listen to sports radio listen for maybe 30 mins...maybe an hour at a time I would guess...

There are a lot of people that listen all day though...or for hours at a time...like me...

I hear more than enough sports talk...Texans talk...Rockets talk throughout the day...I listen to the radio as I get ready every morning...I listen on my way to work....I listen at work most of the day...I listen on my way home...I listen as I work out in my garage...

Everyday doesn't go like that (I do like music)...but some days go exactly like that.

I would not listen that long if all they did was talk about sports. The reason I listen is because of the variety of topics and conversations that occur. Plus, like you said, Texanstalk has a wealth of information on the Texans. How much can you talk about the Texans WR situation during the day? The cap space has not changed...nothing has happened draft wise...There's nothing going on right now Texans wise....I love the Rockets, but I normally listen to 790 for my Rockets fix...

I can understand people that tune in when they get into their car or turn on the radio at any given time....But you have to realize that this is an all day thing...they are talking when you aren't listening...

As far as the creeper radio thing....whatever I guess. Howard Stern is much worse, but if that's not your thing I'd say don't listen. I don't find what Josh does disgusting at all. Yeah, it's a little more "shock jock" than what you get from any other radio host, but I think it's funny. I realize it's not for everyone, but I don't consider myself the "lowest denominator" anymore than someone that doesn't like it considers themselves an uptight prude.

My suggestion would be if you don't like it, don't listen. That's the most powerful thing you can do.

markn 02-16-2013 06:49 PM

Why would anyone listen to 610 anyway? You've got CP, Lance, Matt and Adam on 790 talking real sports. 610 is a joke - official Texans station or not. And it's not like the Texans have anything to say anyway other than banal platitudes from Shaub or Kubiak.

Honoring Earl 34 02-16-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rey (Post 2126506)
I like Josh...

I was actually listening when he talked about you, and I actually agreed with his take.

That's nothing against you or anything you write. But on this topic, I agreed with him.

Most people that listen to sports radio listen for maybe 30 mins...maybe an hour at a time I would guess...

There are a lot of people that listen all day though...or for hours at a time...like me...

I hear more than enough sports talk...Texans talk...Rockets talk throughout the day...I listen to the radio as I get ready every morning...I listen on my way to work....I listen at work most of the day...I listen on my way home...I listen as I work out in my garage...

Everyday doesn't go like that (I do like music)...but some days go exactly like that.

I would not listen that long if all they did was talk about sports. The reason I listen is because of the variety of topics and conversations that occur. Plus, like you said, Texanstalk has a wealth of information on the Texans. How much can you talk about the Texans WR situation during the day? The cap space has not changed...nothing has happened draft wise...There's nothing going on right now Texans wise....I love the Rockets, but I normally listen to 790 for my Rockets fix...

I can understand people that tune in when they get into their car or turn on the radio at any given time....But you have to realize that this is an all day thing...they are talking when you aren't listening...

As far as the creeper radio thing....whatever I guess. Howard Stern is much worse, but if that's not your thing I'd say don't listen. I don't find what Josh does disgusting at all. Yeah, it's a little more "shock jock" than what you get from any other radio host, but I think it's funny. I realize it's not for everyone, but I don't consider myself the "lowest denominator" anymore than someone that doesn't like it considers themselves an uptight prude.

My suggestion would be if you don't like it, don't listen. That's the most powerful thing you can do.

I haven't listened to JI in awhile . He's like the loser guy who everyone knows and wants to talk about his loserhood . He's also got that , everything is bad , stuff that gets old . He bad luck sleprock .

thunderkyss 02-16-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markn (Post 2126508)
Why would anyone listen to 610 anyway? You've got CP, Lance, Matt and Adam on 790 talking real sports. 610 is a joke - official Texans station or not. And it's not like the Texans have anything to say anyway other than banal platitudes from Shaub or Kubiak.

I tried switching to 790, but it's just not the same (I do listen to Koch & Kalu). I like 610, because during the season they have the most Texans' shows. I like to hear what the players say the week after a game. I know they don't get asked the "tough" questions, & they don't tell Schaub how bad he sucks, but it's better than imagining what they're thinking, like one particular poster likes to do.

However, since the end of the season, it's been more fodder than anything & it gets tedious. I know it's hard for them to come up with stuff to talk about, (I listen to the radio while I'm at work), but that's what they're paid to do. We've got the Texans & the Rockets. A lot going on with both of those clubs. Should be plenty to talk about.

Schaub topics pretty much rule the message board, but that's starting to die down & we're moving on to FA & the draft & there's no doubt in my mind that the people here on this board know more about FA & the draft than those guys do, and I can think of three guys who could put together 8 hours of draft talk & that's not including phone calls.

False Start 02-17-2013 08:11 AM

I refuse to listen to that DB. I cant stand him.

My lineup:
10-12 - ND & Greg
12-3 - Matt Thomas
3-7 - Charlie & Lance

So pretty much, I don't even listen to 610, and Josh is the main reason. He turned me off from the whole station.