Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mock Draft Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Bleacher's mock Feb 11, 2013 (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98596)

badboy 02-11-2013 01:42 PM

Bleacher's mock Feb 11, 2013
 
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...combine/page/2

1. NT Jesse Williams 2. WR Terrence Williams 3. ILB Shane Skov 4. CB/S David Amerson 5. OT David Quisenberry


I'D TAKE THAT.

Wolf6151 02-11-2013 01:46 PM

Re: Bleacher's mock Feb 11, 2013
 
I'd be happy.

Insideop 02-11-2013 01:50 PM

Re: Bleacher's mock Feb 11, 2013
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 2123973)
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...combine/page/2

1. NT Jesse Williams 2. WR Terrence Williams 3. ILB Shane Skov 4. CB/S David Amerson 5. OT David Quisenberry


I'D TAKE THAT.

Though Skov is a Senior, he still had another year of eligibility and chose to go back to school. Shows how much BR does their homework.

badboy 02-11-2013 02:17 PM

Re: Bleacher's mock Feb 11, 2013
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Insideop (Post 2123979)
Though Skov is a Senior, he still had another year of eligibility and chose to go back to school. Shows how much BR does their homework.

Good catch, I knew that but missed it. Still pretty certain another ILB can be inserted.

thunderkyss 02-11-2013 02:53 PM

Re: Bleacher's mock Feb 11, 2013
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 2123973)
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...combine/page/2

1. NT Jesse Williams 2. WR Terrence Williams 3. ILB Shane Skov 4. CB/S David Amerson 5. OT David Quisenberry


I'D TAKE THAT.

I'd have mixed feelings. I believe we take a NT that high, if we let Antonio Smith go.

I understand everyone would see him as a replacement for Shuan Cody, but to invest a 1st round pick at that position, this guy would be expected, by me, to be on the field in passing situations. This won't be a 2 down player.

Maybe they'll work their way into that.. maybe getting ready to part ways with him after next season..... so we'll see.

badboy 02-11-2013 02:58 PM

Re: Bleacher's mock Feb 11, 2013
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2124008)
I'd have mixed feelings. I believe we take a NT that high, if we let Antonio Smith go.

I understand everyone would see him as a replacement for Shuan Cody, but to invest a 1st round pick at that position, this guy would be expected, by me, to be on the field in passing situations. This won't be a 2 down player.

Maybe they'll work their way into that.. maybe getting ready to part ways with him after next season..... so we'll see.

If I can get one of the Williams (B or S) in second as in my current mock, I'd prefer that but this is a good mock. Just curious, what does Smith have to do with drafting a NT?

Rey 02-11-2013 03:47 PM

Re: Bleacher's mock Feb 11, 2013
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2124008)
I'd have mixed feelings. I believe we take a NT that high, if we let Antonio Smith go.

I understand everyone would see him as a replacement for Shuan Cody, but to invest a 1st round pick at that position, this guy would be expected, by me, to be on the field in passing situations. This won't be a 2 down player.

Maybe they'll work their way into that.. maybe getting ready to part ways with him after next season..... so we'll see.

Merciless barely played when all of the olb's were healthy. If we drafted a starting NT in the first round that only played on running downs, that'd be more than merciless played his first year.

thunderkyss 02-11-2013 05:00 PM

Re: Bleacher's mock Feb 11, 2013
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rey (Post 2124031)
Merciless barely played when all of the olb's were healthy. If we drafted a starting NT in the first round that only played on running downs, that'd be more than merciless played his first year.

True.

Insideop 02-11-2013 05:29 PM

Re: Bleacher's mock Feb 11, 2013
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 2124012)
If I can get one of the Williams (B or S) in second as in my current mock, I'd prefer that but this is a good mock. Just curious, what does Smith have to do with drafting a NT?

Unless there's a big run on QB's, or some other position, in the 1st and 2nd rounds, I don't think either Williams makes it to us in the 2nd. Brandon Williams is shooting up draft boards and may be out of reach after the Combine.

thunderkyss 02-11-2013 06:51 PM

Re: Bleacher's mock Feb 11, 2013
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Insideop (Post 2124101)
Brandon Williams is shooting up draft boards and may be out of reach after the Combine.

If Brandon Williams is shooting up, who's falling? Does it benefit us any?

Corrosion 02-11-2013 08:07 PM

Re: Bleacher's mock Feb 11, 2013
 
Amerson falling to the 4th ?! Wow.

TexansSeminole 02-11-2013 09:24 PM

Re: Bleacher's mock Feb 11, 2013
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrosion (Post 2124169)
Amerson falling to the 4th ?! Wow.

He got lit up this year. Scrub receivers burning him for touchdowns several times a game.

Insideop 02-12-2013 05:07 AM

Re: Bleacher's mock Feb 11, 2013
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2124147)
If Brandon Williams is shooting up, who's falling? Does it benefit us any?

I guess everyone that would've been picked ahead of him if he hadn't shot up the boards. :D

But, this kinda thing (risers/fallers) happens every year and should be no surprise to anyone. Will it benefit the Texans? Too early to tell.

mussop 02-12-2013 05:43 AM

Re: Bleacher's mock Feb 11, 2013
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 2123973)
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...combine/page/2

1. NT Jesse Williams 2. WR Terrence Williams 3. ILB Shane Skov 4. CB/S David Amerson 5. OT David Quisenberry


I'D TAKE THAT.

We can only hope for a draft that good.

badboy 02-12-2013 10:12 AM

Re: Bleacher's mock Feb 11, 2013
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrosion (Post 2124169)
Amerson falling to the 4th ?! Wow.

Could be a bust or one of best defensive backs in NFL. Personally, I think most of his problem was mental. From my research, his coach thought he was trying to "jump the ball" with focus on INT rather than a good play. I believe it was Tennessee's WRs that made him look really bad early 2012. I would definitely spend a 3rd if other positions not needed more. I had a very interesting link that said his recovery speed was not good and if he misread a play he would look bad. His 2012 off year was 5 INTs.

Just found link I referred to. I suggest all read it.
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/fut...-david-amerson

Corrosion 02-13-2013 09:43 AM

Re: Bleacher's mock Feb 11, 2013
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 2124325)
Could be a bust or one of best defensive backs in NFL. Personally, I think most of his problem was mental. From my research, his coach thought he was trying to "jump the ball" with focus on INT rather than a good play. I believe it was Tennessee's WRs that made him look really bad early 2012. I would definitely spend a 3rd if other positions not needed more. I had a very interesting link that said his recovery speed was not good and if he misread a play he would look bad. His 2012 off year was 5 INTs.

Just found link I referred to. I suggest all read it.
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/fut...-david-amerson

How do you think he translates as a FS in the NFL ? .... How's his tackling skills ?


I saw some rating him as a first rounder as recent as a month ago (I had him in the second) .... dropping to the 4th is a bit shocking to me especially in such short order.

badboy 02-13-2013 10:26 AM

Re: Bleacher's mock Feb 11, 2013
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrosion (Post 2125018)
How do you think he translates as a FS in the NFL ? .... How's his tackling skills ?


I saw some rating him as a first rounder as recent as a month ago (I had him in the second) .... dropping to the 4th is a bit shocking to me especially in such short order.

From Walter's evaluation pre-2012 season:


2012 Season Outlook: No logical observer could expect Amerson to duplicate his 2011 season. Teams will be avoiding him like the plague next fall, so he will have his opportunities for interceptions reduced significantly. If Amerson has an interception total in the 4-6 range that would be excellent.

To offset the likely drop in interceptions, Amerson can help his stock in other ways. He can tenaciously defend the run, as well as show more variety in coverage skills. Certain NFL teams will want to see how Amerson plays in press man-coverage. He typically lined up well off the line of scrimmage as a sophomore. Adding that flexibility will help Amerson to appeal to more teams, but that is also dependent on the scheme his coaches run.

When Amerson makes those grabs, he is dangerous with the ball in his hands. Amerson zooms up the field with nice cutting ability to make tacklers miss. It really looks like a big wide receiver running with the ball. He even finishes his returns well. Amerson doesn't shy away from getting physical. He can hit hard and contribute well in run defense.

Amerson lined up with a nice cushion throughout 2011. He would either pick up receivers in man coverage or play zone. Amerson's bump-and-run skills are still in question, but he has good strength and physicality. One would think Amerson should have the ability to be good at jamming and re-routing receivers at the line of scrimmage. That is something he can learn from his NFL defensive backs coach.

To answer your question, like most college DBs he needs to improve his tackling but does show willingness to tackle. His size will help at either position. I think his draft will depend on his combine skills and 40 speed. Unless Quin leaves, any DB will have opportunity to learn without starting. I do think a NT or ILB needs to start unless we sign a vet FA. I also think a team with deep roster may select him much higher than many believe as reward higher than risk, imo.

76Texan 02-13-2013 11:38 AM

Re: Bleacher's mock Feb 11, 2013
 
I don't see Amerson falling to the 4th round.
He might be better suited for the safety position though (like some already suggested.)

TexansSeminole 02-19-2013 11:10 AM

Re: Bleacher's mock Feb 11, 2013
 
Oddly enough, teams didn't really avoid Amerson as was expected. He got lit up early in the year and it seemed to continue throughout the year. He is one player that is going to be very tough to evaluate.

Corrosion 02-19-2013 11:20 AM

Re: Bleacher's mock Feb 11, 2013
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 76Texan (Post 2125122)
I don't see Amerson falling to the 4th round.
He might be better suited for the safety position though (like some already suggested.)

If he were on the board when the Texans pick in the 3rd , I'd take him in a heartbeat with the idea of moving him to safety.

I thought about him in the first round in my earlier mock .... but he seems to have fallen since then.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger