Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mock Draft Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   What I am looking at, feedback appreciated (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98409)

badboy 02-02-2013 10:16 PM

What I am looking at, feedback appreciated
 
1. ILB Manti Te'o 6'2 255 monster Middle with 113T 7 INTs
2 WR Justin Hunter 6'4 200 4.49 73/1083 14.8 9 TDs
3a S/CB Darrius Slay 6'1 190 sub 4.5
3b NT Sylvester Williams 6'3" 313 6 sacks
4. OLB Michael Buchanan 6'5" 255
5. TE Michael Williams 6'6" 270 good block and good hands
5b CB Terry Hawthorne 6'0 190 4.49
5c RB Cierre Wood 6'0 215 4.48 114/742 6.5 as a back up

Wolf6151 02-03-2013 02:13 AM

Re: What I am looking at, feedback appreciated
 
JMO:

1. Te'o, AWW HELL TO THE NO.
2. Hunter, great player and pick but I just don't think he's going to be available at #57, steal of the draft if he is.
3. Slay, ehhh not sure here with bigger team needs at O-line and NT. Good player though and I wouldn't be mad.
3b. Williams, you really think he falls this far? I don't, mid 2nd at worst. Great value if available though.
4. Buchanan, I dont' know alot about him, just started studying OLB prospects, but I'm good with it. Love the size for the position.
5. Williams, love this pick. Kasa is a possibility here as well.
5b. Hawthorne, I don't care what CBS says for rankings I think he goes alot higher. Late 2nd or early 3rd.
5c. Wood, if we trade Tate then this is a good pick. I'm not real familiar with him, but love the size speed combo.

The only one I hate is Te'o, I think he's overrated for the NFL. He's more of a run stuffer and I think we need a sideline to sideline guy that can handle RB and TE pass coverage while still being able to play the run (Ogletree). He's just not athletic enough. Not to mention that he's either an idiot or liar and I want neither on our team. Let someone else deal with all the drama that will surround this guy.

As for the rest, if our draft did fall this way it would be a homerun. I just think some of these guys go earlier than you have them slotted.

Corrosion 02-03-2013 03:24 AM

Re: What I am looking at, feedback appreciated
 
:wadepalm:

Showtime100 02-03-2013 03:47 AM

Re: What I am looking at, feedback appreciated
 
You are looking at gibberish. Make your own mind and forget about numbers.

Corrosion 02-03-2013 04:29 AM

Re: What I am looking at, feedback appreciated
 
When it comes to Teo .... I just dont think he's an NFL player. I'll give you the best explination I can .... and hope it makes sense.


You know how some college QB's are really good college QB's and are worthless as pro prospects ? (Danny Wuerffel or Chris Weinke) Thats what I think of Teo.


I think we got a glimpse of what's to come from him in the NFL in the BCS Championship game against a team as close to an NFL team as you can get in the NCAA. Watch some of that game tape .... its very revealing.

WolverineFan 02-03-2013 10:16 AM

Re: What I am looking at, feedback appreciated
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 2119784)
1. ILB Manti Te'o 6'2 255 monster Middle with 113T 7 INTs
2 WR Justin Hunter 6'4 200 4.49 73/1083 14.8 9 TDs
3a S/CB Darrius Slay 6'1 190 sub 4.5
3b NT Sylvester Williams 6'3" 313 6 sacks
4. OLB Michael Buchanan 6'5" 255
5. TE Michael Williams 6'6" 270 good block and good hands
5b CB Terry Hawthorne 6'0 190 4.49
5c RB Cierre Wood 6'0 215 4.48 114/742 6.5 as a back up

1 - Te'o - Drafting him as the 'run stuffing' ILB is a mistake. As shown against Alabama, he struggles to shed blocks. He's been overrated all season long. Not a 1st round talent.

2 - Hunter - Great physical tools, wish there was more film on him. Really only played one season in college and had tons of talent around him. Could be a very good #2 and eventual AJ successor if he stays healthy. I do prefer him over guys like Austin, Bailey, and Woods.

3 - Slay - Solid player. I think there will be better talents available this early though.

3b - Williams - Great athlete, could be an answer at the Nose for us, but don't think he lasts this long. He will do great at the combine and go earlier than this.

4 - Buchanan - Great athlete, could be a real sleeper this year, but did not have near the season I thought he would.

5 - Williams - Love his size and like his skill set, but he needs to develop as a receiver. He could be what Hill never was.

5b - Hawthorne - Very underrated player. He will be long gone by the 5th round. Really like him. He's been a stalwart on the back end for Illinois for years.

5c - Wood - Great tools, a bit underrated because ND uses a lot of backs. Fits the system. Not sure we get two 5th round comp picks though. If this is a 6th I doubt he's there. Zac Stacy might be though.

coon 02-03-2013 11:52 AM

Re: What I am looking at, feedback appreciated
 
Te'o can play football. If this mock was posted before his scandal we would all be bashing badboy for thinking he would fall that far. I would not want to draft him because of the scandal, but he was the anchor of the a defense that had one bad game all season. You don't get 7 int's if you cant cover. Te'o is a scary prospect to take, but it's not because of his ability.

thunderkyss 02-03-2013 12:47 PM

Re: What I am looking at, feedback appreciated
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by WolverineFan (Post 2119890)
1 - Te'o - Drafting him as the 'run stuffing' ILB is a mistake. As shown against Alabama, he struggles to shed blocks. He's been overrated all season long. Not a 1st round talent.

I've seen/heard this way too many times not to take it into consideration. Even before the KeKua thing blew up. Serious questions were raised after the NC game & I don't know if they've been answered or not.

I hope everyone is wrong, I hope our staff can weed through all the anti Te'o hype, see the star talent & take him with #27 or lower.

But things don't generally go that way for Houston sports franchises. We'll be the one to draft him, he won't make it on the field & everyone will be wondering what the heck were we thinking.

mussop 02-03-2013 12:49 PM

Re: What I am looking at, feedback appreciated
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrosion (Post 2119857)
When it comes to Teo .... I just dont think he's an NFL player. I'll give you the best explination I can .... and hope it makes sense.


You know how some college QB's are really good college QB's and are worthless as pro prospects ? (Danny Wuerffel or Chris Weinke) Thats what I think of Teo.


I think we got a glimpse of what's to come from him in the NFL in the BCS Championship game against a team as close to an NFL team as you can get in the NCAA. Watch some of that game tape .... its very revealing.

Please point out this game tape you are talking about. Because when I watch his tape I definitely don't see a top 5 talent but, I do see a guy that is well worth the 27th pick in the draft. In fact he might be perfect next to Cushing.

He is not a thumper thats for sure. What he brings to the table is high football IQ with very good instincts. He is at his best when in coverage and playing sideline to sideline. IMO that is exactly what we need next to Cushing.

Cushing is the one that is going to be making the big hits and stuffing RB's at the LOS. We need someone who can cover and make plays behind him. I think most of the posters that are hatin on him are basing their opinion on their dislike of the attention he recieved pre-BCS champoinship game, the scandel and his performance in the championship game.

One game does not tell a players worth nor does outside BS that the player can't control. Mike Mayok said Teo should win the heisman and Im sure he watched more film than anyone on Teo. Is he a top 10 player? NO! Is he worthy of going in the first round? HELL YES!!

Honoring Earl 34 02-03-2013 12:57 PM

Re: What I am looking at, feedback appreciated
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mussop (Post 2119946)
Please point out this game tape you are talking about. Because when I watch his tape I definitely don't see a top 5 talent but, I do see a guy that is well worth the 27th pick in the draft. In fact he might be perfect next to Cushing.

He is not a thumper thats for sure. What he brings to the table is high football IQ with very good instincts. He is at his best when in coverage and playing sideline to sideline. IMO that is exactly what we need next to Cushing.

Cushing is the one that is going to be making the big hits and stuffing RB's at the LOS. We need someone who can cover and make plays behind him. I think most of the posters that are hatin on him are basing their opinion on their dislike of the attention he recieved pre-BCS champoinship game, the scandel and his performance in the championship game.

One game does not tell a players worth nor does outside BS that the player can't control. Mike Mayok said Teo should win the heisman and Im sure he watched more film than anyone on Teo. Is he a top 10 player? NO! Is he worthy of going in the first round? HELL YES!!

In the NC game I saw a player on is heels and not his toes . Part of his game is an outstanding motor . He played like Pau Gasol after Pau got dumped during the NBA championship .

Lucky 02-04-2013 09:23 PM

Re: What I am looking at, feedback appreciated
 
I'm wondering why the o-line isn't addressed? I'm not a believer in Newton. I think he would be best served moving inside and possibly replacing Wade Smith in 2014. I don't know if Brooks has the feet to play RT. And I was not real impressed with Ben Jones. I just don't think he has the strength to be a good pass blocker. I think the Texans need to go RT in one of the 1st 2 picks, if they aren't able to do something in free agency. Probably another guard on the 3rd day.

thunderkyss 02-04-2013 09:48 PM

Re: What I am looking at, feedback appreciated
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky (Post 2120855)
I'm wondering why the o-line isn't addressed? I'm not a believer in Newton. I think he would be best served moving inside and possibly replacing Wade Smith in 2014. I don't know if Brooks has the feet to play RT. And I was not real impressed with Ben Jones. I just don't think he has the strength to be a good pass blocker. I think the Texans need to go RT in one of the 1st 2 picks, if they aren't able to do something in free agency. Probably another guard on the 3rd day.

I've got the same concern about Newton's feet. But I love Ben Jones.

I don't think Tackle is that high of a concern, I expect our 1st three selections should be OLB, WR, ILB....... not necessarily in that order.

But I think getting an elite RT would be like drafting a 5 tech when we already had Mario Williams & lead our offense to a similar type of step change.

Lucky 02-04-2013 10:23 PM

Re: What I am looking at, feedback appreciated
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2120863)
But I think getting an elite RT would be like drafting a 5 tech when we already had Mario Williams & lead our offense to a similar type of step change.

I don't know if anyone elite will be there at #27 at any position. But, there should be someone pretty good. At least better than a 7th round project/street free agent rotation.

thunderkyss 02-04-2013 10:31 PM

Re: What I am looking at, feedback appreciated
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky (Post 2120875)
I don't know if anyone elite will be there at #27 at any position. But, there should be someone pretty good. At least better than a 7th round project/street free agent rotation.

For a traditional Power scheme, probably not. But we did select Duane Brown at 26.

Corrosion 02-05-2013 12:35 AM

Re: What I am looking at, feedback appreciated
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2120863)
I've got the same concern about Newton's feet. But I love Ben Jones.

I don't think Tackle is that high of a concern, I expect our 1st three selections should be OLB, WR, ILB....... not necessarily in that order.

But I think getting an elite RT would be like drafting a 5 tech when we already had Mario Williams & lead our offense to a similar type of step change.

I was high on Jones earlier in the season ..... but that has waned. I dont know if he's just not ready technique wise or .... if he's just not an NFL calibur guard. The fact that Brooks took over for him late says a lot to me .... they have to get stronger up front.

I agree with Lucky that RT is a serious concern .... that right side fell of bigtime from Winston / Briesel to Newton / Jones or Brooks. For this offense to be successful , it has to be able to run the ball effectively - 3.7 ypc aint gonna cut it. They also have to keep Schaub clean ..... or else.

Newton was fairly solid in pass pro but piss poor in run blocking and in the screen game. Two staples of this offense ..... I think its absolutely necessary the RT position is upgraded relegating Newton to the swing tackle.

76Texan 02-05-2013 01:00 AM

Re: What I am looking at, feedback appreciated
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by WolverineFan (Post 2119890)
1 - Te'o - Drafting him as the 'run stuffing' ILB is a mistake. As shown against Alabama, he struggles to shed blocks. He's been overrated all season long. Not a 1st round talent.

2 - Hunter - Great physical tools, wish there was more film on him. Really only played one season in college and had tons of talent around him. Could be a very good #2 and eventual AJ successor if he stays healthy. I do prefer him over guys like Austin, Bailey, and Woods.

3 - Slay - Solid player. I think there will be better talents available this early though.

3b - Williams - Great athlete, could be an answer at the Nose for us, but don't think he lasts this long. He will do great at the combine and go earlier than this.

4 - Buchanan - Great athlete, could be a real sleeper this year, but did not have near the season I thought he would.

5 - Williams - Love his size and like his skill set, but he needs to develop as a receiver. He could be what Hill never was.

5b - Hawthorne - Very underrated player. He will be long gone by the 5th round. Really like him. He's been a stalwart on the back end for Illinois for years.

5c - Wood - Great tools, a bit underrated because ND uses a lot of backs. Fits the system. Not sure we get two 5th round comp picks though. If this is a 6th I doubt he's there. Zac Stacy might be though.

Both Wood and Stacy look to be pretty fast. Both are ranked really low by CBS.

I think I prefer Kenjon Barner though.
I think 4-5th is good value for him.
His cutting ability is pretty sick.

Another guy that caught my eyes is George Winn (Bearcats).
He's not as fast, but he has powerful legs that keep churning.
Hard to bring him down.
Could be an UDFA or late round pick.
Might be a sleeper here.

leebigeztx 02-05-2013 02:55 AM

Re: What I am looking at, feedback appreciated
 
Put me in the camp that teo is gonna be a outstanding football player. His key and diagnose is top flight. His ability to read passing concepts are also top notch. People are overreacting to one game. Go watch 95 national champ game and watch how warren sapp and ray lewis were pushed around by nebraska all game. In fact, go watch ray lewis in his prime post adams and goose and see how will shields had him on rollerskates. Ray lewis basically drafted ngata so he could do his thing.

Again, I heard this same overreaction when people spoke of derrick johnson. All he's done is become one of the best lbs in nfl. Teo is a bonifide player and playmaker. If he's there,which I doubt,the texans should draft him.

thunderkyss 02-05-2013 07:50 AM

Re: What I am looking at, feedback appreciated
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrosion (Post 2120917)
I was high on Jones earlier in the season ..... but that has waned. I dont know if he's just not ready technique wise or .... if he's just not an NFL calibur guard. The fact that Brooks took over for him late says a lot to me .... they have to get stronger up front.

I agree with Lucky that RT is a serious concern .... that right side fell of bigtime from Winston / Briesel to Newton / Jones or Brooks. For this offense to be successful , it has to be able to run the ball effectively - 3.7 ypc aint gonna cut it. They also have to keep Schaub clean ..... or else.

Newton was fairly solid in pass pro but piss poor in run blocking and in the screen game. Two staples of this offense ..... I think its absolutely necessary the RT position is upgraded relegating Newton to the swing tackle.

I understand your concern. Our run game took a big hit, no doubt from where we finished with Briesel & Winston. But I think we're miles ahead from where we started with Briesel & Winston.

Newton injured his knee right about the time our offense dropped off the face of the earth. I don't know how close to 100% he was when he came back, but there was still a bit of a drop off.

I agree with you on his screen performance, I think he was consistently below average even before the injury.

Like I said, there's definitely room for improvement. An "elite" like talent there (Eric Winston in the run game) would really take us to another level. I don't know that Newton can be that guy, I don't know that he can't. Many didn't think Brown could be that guy.

badboy 02-05-2013 09:54 AM

Re: What I am looking at, feedback appreciated
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrosion (Post 2120917)
I was high on Jones earlier in the season ..... but that has waned. I dont know if he's just not ready technique wise or .... if he's just not an NFL calibur guard. The fact that Brooks took over for him late says a lot to me .... they have to get stronger up front.

I agree with Lucky that RT is a serious concern .... that right side fell of bigtime from Winston / Briesel to Newton / Jones or Brooks. For this offense to be successful , it has to be able to run the ball effectively - 3.7 ypc aint gonna cut it. They also have to keep Schaub clean ..... or else.

Newton was fairly solid in pass pro but piss poor in run blocking and in the screen game. Two staples of this offense ..... I think its absolutely necessary the RT position is upgraded relegating Newton to the swing tackle.

My understanding is RB avg 4.3 with Power Success of 61% ranking 9th in both run and pass blocking. Adjusted line yardage was 3.13 for LT versus 4.83 for RT. So if correct, maybe you want to get rid of that Duane Brown guy?

480 RB carries almost evenly distributed to both sides. Oline allowed 28 sacks IIRC ans ome were on QB.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

Rey 02-05-2013 10:13 AM

Re: What I am looking at, feedback appreciated
 
Ryan Clady
Andre Smith
Branden Albert
Jake Long
Sebastian Vollmer
Will Beatty
Gosder Cherilus
Phil Loadholt
Jermon Bushrod
Sam Baker
Ryan Harris
Winston Justice
King Dunlap
Chad Clifton
Bryant McKinnie
Max Starks
Will Svitek
Tyler Polumbus
Sean Locklear
Tony Pashos
Khalif Barnes
Barry Richardson
Jonathan Scott
Frank Omiyale
Dennis Roland
Jeff Otah
Brandon Keith
Jeremy Trueblood
Brandyn Dombrowski
D'Anthony Batiste
Jason Smith
Mario Henderson
Rashad Butler
Tony Hills
Pat McQuistan
Lydon Murtha


I think one of our RT's will come from this list.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger