Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   2008 Trade results in Flacco & D Brown (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98072)

badboy 01-20-2013 10:21 PM

2008 Trade results in Flacco & D Brown

2008 Houston trades #18 to Baltimore who selects QB Joe Flacco. Texans convert #26 into Duane Brown, 3rd round RB Steve Slaton and in 6th Dominique Barber. I really like trade then.

Hindsight is perfect but would you do that trade again or select Flacco #18 considering the team you had in 2008? A QB going to SB in his fifth year versus your all pro LT? Slaton did have value although Barber was basically an injury. I guess what I am asking is a Super Bowl QB in his prime or Duane Brown? Keep in mind that Brown just signed a team friendly contract and Joe Flacco is in his last contract year earning $6.76m + $2.1m roster bonus and woul likely command a very huge contract.

Texn4life 01-20-2013 10:24 PM

Re: 2008 Trade results in Flacco & D Brown

Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 2113572)
2008 Houston trades #18 to Baltimore who selects QB Joe Flacco. Texans convert #26 into Duane Brown, 3rd round RB Steve Slaton and in 6th Dominique Barber. I really like trade then.

Hindsight is perfect but would you do that trade again or select Flacco #18 considering the team you had in 2008? A QB going to SB in his fifth year versus your all pro LT? Slaton did have value although Barber was basically an injury. I guess what I am asking is a Super Bowl QB in his prime or Duane Brown? Keep in mind that Brown just signed a team friendly contract and Joe Flacco is in his last contract year earning $6.76m + $2.1m roster bonus and woul likely command a very huge contract.

We just traded 2 second round picks for Schaub. Why on earth would we draft a QB in the first round after that?

ralph 01-20-2013 10:54 PM

So much wrong with this thread.

Vance87 01-21-2013 12:17 AM

Why didn't we take Brady in the first round in 2000?

And don't even use the excuse that we didn't have a team, that's such a cop out.

dream_team 01-21-2013 12:50 AM

Quote:

This is Flacco's 5th chance at making the SB, and he finally gets in. Schaub had one shot, missed, but now people are having this Flacco love affair? I don't get it.

If Flacco can get the Ravens to the SB, then Schaub can do the same with the Texans. We just need the defense to play as well as the Raven's D in the playoffs.

midway 01-21-2013 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dream_team (Post 2113651)
This is Flacco's 5th chance at making the SB, and he finally gets in. Schaub had one shot, missed, but now people are having this Flacco love affair? I don't get it.

If Flacco can get the Ravens to the SB, then Schaub can do the same with the Texans. We just need the defense to play as well as the Raven's D in the playoffs.

Just because this was the first time we made it to the playoffs with him at QB doesn't mean it qualifies as his "first shot at the SB." All of those years where we didn't make the playoffs count too.

scourge 01-21-2013 01:46 AM

I'd still make the trade in a heartbeat. The problem with that trade wasn't Brown vs. Flacco, it was what we did with the extra picks.

Slaton was a one-hit wonder, and Barber was irrelevant. With the 3rd pick we could've take a WR such as Manningham. With the 6th, WR Pierre Garcon was also available.

rolyat93 01-21-2013 02:03 AM

Brown is the best LT in the game, and we already had Schaubby. Not to mention Slaton was good for that one year.*

Just for good measure, Duane Brown is the best LT in the game.

*edited for accuracy

scourge 01-21-2013 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolyat93 (Post 2113656)
Not to mention Slaton was good for a few years.

He was only good his rookie season... total crap after that.

EllisUnit 01-21-2013 04:03 AM

Would take D. Brown again..... It took Flacco how many seasons to finally break thru even with that dominant defense he has had for years....come on now lets be real.

Goatcheese 01-21-2013 07:17 AM

We already had Schaub, and picked up the best LT in football. How is that not a great trade.

Everyone is swinging from Flacco's jock right now, but it's not like he was man handling the Patriot's with his 240 yards at 6.6 YPA and 58% completion percentage. If the Raven's defense gave up 40, nobody would be talking about Flacco having a great game, because he didn't.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scourge (Post 2113659)
He was only good his rookie season... total crap after that.

He had a career ending injury in his sophomore preseason. It just took everyone a few months to acknowledge that it was over.

You can't fault a pick because of an unforeseeable freak injury.

I wish Foster would run with half of the effort that Slaton did. At this point, I would be happy if Foster didn't routinely tackle himself.

Tailgate 01-21-2013 07:36 AM

This thread is a joke right?

TheIronDuke 01-21-2013 07:47 AM

Well if we're going to crazy world of dreams land, I'd rather us have drafted Aaron Rodgers instead of Travis Johnson in 2005.

ArlingtonTexan 01-21-2013 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tailgate (Post 2113688)
This thread is a joke right?

Actually over the next two weeks somebody was gonna suggest or ask. At least this was not a rant on how stupid the Texans were versus a question.

silentassassin 01-21-2013 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan (Post 2113694)
Actually over the next two weeks somebody was gonna suggest or ask. At least this was not a rant on how stupid the Texans were versus a question.

I'll give you that. But most retrospectives(In regards to the draft) are almost pointless, unless it was a real possibility at the time.

Seņor Stan 01-21-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckhouston (Post 2113661)
Matt Schaub makes my PP hurt ...

fixed it for you :)

amazing80 01-21-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

So you're asking if you would take a borderline top 10 qb for a top 3 LT? Give me the LT as they seem to be harder to find and IMO affect more of the game, protecting said qb and opening run lanes. This is an age old debate and one that neither side will ever win. Its pointless really

Dutchrudder 01-21-2013 10:26 AM

Well ****, might as well have taken Russell Wilson instead of Devier Posey in 2012. We would probably be going to the Super Bowl with him at the helm instead of Schaub.

b0ng 01-21-2013 10:26 AM

Should the Browns have taken Matt Ryan or Joe Thomas?

amazing80 01-21-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b0ng (Post 2113779)
Should the Browns have taken Matt Ryan or Joe Thomas?

while this seems like a no brainer, if they werent completely incompetant at picking someone else at qb, like not weeden, then Thomas would be the better pick.
IMO