Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mock Draft Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Who will be the WTF pick this year? (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98061)

eriadoc 01-20-2013 06:45 PM

Who will be the WTF pick this year?

Every other year it seems the Texans spend one of their first three picks on a guy that makes everyone collectively yell "WTF?!?!" at their TV. This is an odd year, so we probably won't have to see that, but just in case, who do you think that's going to be?

AJ-80 01-20-2013 06:49 PM

Re: Who will be the WTF pick this year?

I don't really know what that WTF pick would be since we could use depth at every position...I could see us reaching for Montee Ball or another 2nd round back and saying we need depth behind Foster which I don't think would be a good idea at all...

eriadoc 01-20-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJ-80 (Post 2113171)
I don't really know what that WTF pick would be since we could use depth at every position...

It's not position based, but rather who they draft. The draftniks will all put out their top 5 and top 10 lists, and while they'll vary from one to another, there will emerge a general consensus on the top few guys at that position. Then the Texans will take a guy that no one ranked that highly. Both Kareem Jackson and Devier Posey were both taken in years that the team needed that position, but they passed over some much higher rated players to take them. And right or wrong, everyone questioned the move. I'm just wondering who that's going to be this year.

Corrosion 01-20-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eriadoc (Post 2113176)
It's not position based, but rather who they draft. The draftniks will all put out their top 5 and top 10 lists, and while they'll vary from one to another, there will emerge a general consensus on the top few guys at that position. Then the Texans will take a guy that no one ranked that highly. Both Kareem Jackson and Devier Posey were both taken in years that the team needed that position, but they passed over some much higher rated players to take them. And right or wrong, everyone questioned the move. I'm just wondering who that's going to be this year.

Eh , I mocked Posey to the Texans .... right where they picked him.

steelbtexan 01-20-2013 07:07 PM

Hopefully you here the name Cooper Taylor in the 3-4th rd.

6'4 230 Lbs 4.5/4.6 40 Saftey Richmond, Cooper was 2nd team all ACC at GaTech before transfering to Richmond. He would be a perfect nickle S in the Texans defense. The Texans are in the nickle defense about 60% of the time.

powda 01-20-2013 07:09 PM

The texans will select a tightend with their first 3 picks. With their 4th pick -the a compensatory selection for mario -they will draft a deep snapper.

steelbtexan 01-20-2013 07:09 PM

Yes you did,

Give us insight on a couple of guys you think the Texans may pick after the combine this yr.

powda 01-20-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powda (Post 2113191)
With their 4th pick -the a compensatory selection for mario -they will draft a deep snapper.

The deep snapper will be a former tightend.

Lucky 01-20-2013 07:24 PM

Ohio State RT (and ex-TE) Reid Fragel. Actually, that's not WTF. It's pretty much a lock.

beerlover 01-20-2013 07:25 PM

QB position has been, maybe always will be their Achilles heel. So logic suggests a continuation with next successor.

Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee

AJ-80 01-20-2013 08:00 PM

Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina

steelbtexan 01-20-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky (Post 2113203)
Ohio State RT (and ex-TE) Reid Fragel. Actually, that's not WTF. It's pretty much a lock.

I would love to see Fragel be the Texans pick in the 4th rd.

That guy could be really good in a couple of yrs. Tough/Strong/Great feet. Just needs some experience.

steelbtexan 01-20-2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beerlover (Post 2113205)
QB position has been, maybe always will be their Achilles heel. So logic suggests a continuation with next successor.

We can only hope,

Mocks I've seen say he will be there in the 2nd rd when the Texans are picking. However I believe this will change after the Combine.

Corrosion 01-20-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelbtexan (Post 2113192)
Yes you did,

Give us insight on a couple of guys you think the Texans may pick after the combine this yr.

Right now .... I have no idea. After they bring in guy's for workouts .... we can throw sh!t at the wall and see if it sticks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by beerlover (Post 2113205)

That would require an early pick , likely a first rounder ?..... I dont think they'd spend a pick on a QB before the 3rd.

I have a feeling they take a WR and an RT with their first two picks.

Im gonna stick with Da'Rick Rogers, WR - Tennessee Tech as their #1 pick. (Yes , thats a big jump up from where I had him mocked in the late 3rd).

I dont really believe they QB spot has been their achilles heel either .... Gary got a lot out of Schaub prior to the lisfranc and the defense let them down more often than not during those seasons.
You take away the starting QB from damn near any NFL team and they fall off significantly. Yes teams catch lightning in a bottle (Kaepernick or Tom Brady) but the examples of that are the exception not the rule.

Rey 01-20-2013 09:14 PM

Probably not the guy I want in the first round, dion Jordan.

For two years I've wanted that Olb Von miller, Bruce Irvin...but I'm happy we took watt...

They go into the combine/proday and price themselves out of our range...

I think jordan is going to kill in the explosiveness drills at the combine. But if I'm the texans I'd trade up to get him.

He'd improve this defense I'm every phase. Pass rush, run defense and coverage.

steelbtexan 01-20-2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rey (Post 2113446)
Probably not the guy I want in the first round, dion Jordan.

For two years I've wanted that Olb Von miller, Bruce Irvin...but I'm happy we took watt...

They go into the combine/proday and price themselves out of our range...

I think jordan is going to kill in the explosiveness drills at the combine. But if I'm the texans I'd trade up to get him.

He'd improve this defense I'm every phase. Pass rush, run defense and coverage.

He's an athletic freak, but I read Jordan weighed only 225 LBS at the nd of the yr. This worries me, because the last thing the Texans need is an Aaron Maybin.

beerlover 01-21-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrosion (Post 2113330)
I dont really believe they QB spot has been their achilles heel either .... Gary got a lot out of Schaub prior to the lisfranc and the defense let them down more often than not during those seasons.
You take away the starting QB from damn near any NFL team and they fall off significantly. Yes teams catch lightning in a bottle (Kaepernick or Tom Brady) but the examples of that are the exception not the rule.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...len&id=2807456

& so ****ing what if Schaub is an improvement? Did the Texans still invest wisely, did they receive impact player in return for dollars invested, did he take them to the Super Bowl or Conference Championship game?

sounds like, looks like & feels like achillies took another one :voodoo:

badboy 01-21-2013 05:10 PM

A guy I really like ON THE FIELD Da'Rick Rogers. I would be stunned but okay.

Wolf6151 01-21-2013 05:19 PM

My WTF pick would be Tyrann Mathieu in any round. He's just not the kind of guy McNair would want on his team.

steelbtexan 01-21-2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 2114110)
A guy I really like ON THE FIELD Da'Rick Rogers. I would be stunned but okay.

Me too and you could probably get him in the 2nd rd.