Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Texans Won't Rule Out Drafting QB (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97984)

CretorFrigg 01-17-2013 08:47 PM

Texans Won't Rule Out Drafting QB

Quote:

Our sources wouldn’t rule out the possibility [of drafting a QB], pointing to the situations of the 49ers and Seahawks, neither of whom felt they needed a starter when they selected Colin Kaepernick and Russell Wilson in the second and third rounds, respectively, the past two years.

We hear the Texans would love to have a mobile QB like one of the two aforementioned rising stars.

“Steve Young won a Super Bowl in this offense,” noted a daily team observer. “John Elway was a really good runner. Jake Plummer was a really good runner. When you’re running a bootleg, there is only one guy there to stop the QB. A mobile QB is great for the system.”
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/texans-...7068--nfl.html

Interesting. I wouldn't mind drafting a QB in the earlier rounds. If we get lucky, we'll find the next Russell Wilson.

jaayteetx 01-17-2013 08:51 PM

Re: Texans Won't Rule Out Drafting QB

IDK, I've heard this draft is pretty thin at QB.

CretorFrigg 01-17-2013 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaayteetx (Post 2111538)

True, I've heard that too, but we're not looking to draft a QB in the first round -- at least, not that I know of. Hopefully, we try to find a diamond in the rough...someone who is considered a later pick due to his lack of height, school he went to, etc.

silentassassin 01-17-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Yup.

I wouldn't get my hopes up too much. Coaches/GMs always say they're going to do their due diligence and not rule anything out.

panamamyers 01-17-2013 09:46 PM

I can only think of EJ Manuel if they mention mobile qb.

Lucky 01-17-2013 09:49 PM

Quote:

Take this for what it's worth to you. But I heard Lance Zierlein say on the radio this week that as many as 9 QBs could be taken in the first 3 rounds. And that makes sense to me. The QBs coming into the league seem more plug and play than in the past. I think QBs coming into the league now are much more advanced than 10 years ago. Take the right guy in this draft, and you should have a starter by 2014.

Texan_Bill 01-17-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

JUP!!! Kinda weak in the QB draft class this year.

That said, it doesn't really matter as we've seen a second string collegiate QB, fast track it to the Pro Football HOF.. Who was it that guy that started ahead of him again?
:thinking:

Lucky 01-17-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panamamyers (Post 2111558)

The field widens if you define mobile as faster than a glacier.

Kaiser Toro 01-17-2013 09:57 PM

The commoditization of the QB position is upon us.

powda 01-17-2013 10:01 PM

Kubiak needs to get outside his comfort zone here. Dont just make the "safe pick," get somebody with a ceiling. And why settle for mobile? How bout mobile AND a legit deep ball. Our offense has become so predictible, if you add a qb who can competently threaten deep, we stop being so one dimensional. He doesn't have to start next season and drafting a guy in the top 3 rounds might light a fire in schaub and yates. There's been no competition for schaub just as there wasnt for carr.

When people here have to wonder if Kenuhm is a solution you know it's bad. Get it done!

Brisco_County 01-17-2013 10:02 PM

They should be scouting QB's either way. When Schaub's contract is over in three years, his wear-and-tear alone would discourage an extension.

Rey 01-17-2013 10:14 PM

Zac dysert please!

MEGA SWATT 01-17-2013 10:20 PM

Michael Vick is mobile :thinking:

just saying:scarygirl:

Thanks OP, would be very nice to get the next mobile qb.

LonerATO 01-17-2013 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panamamyers (Post 2111558)

EJ Manuel would be a good fit for this system, but I hear that he has trouble digesting the playbook and that could hurt him.

powda 01-17-2013 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rey (Post 2111578)
Zac dysert please!

Was he ever a tightend?

Perki-Perk 01-17-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CretorFrigg (Post 2111542)
True, I've heard that too, but we're not looking to draft a QB in the first round -- at least, not that I know of. Hopefully, we try to find a diamond in the rough...someone who is considered a later pick due to his lack of height, school he went to, etc.

Isn't that what Yates was???

panamamyers 01-17-2013 10:27 PM

What do you guys think of Jordan Rodgers from Vanderbilt or BJ Daniels from South Florida?

Texecutioner 01-17-2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky (Post 2111560)
Take this for what it's worth to you. But I heard Lance Zierlein say on the radio this week that as many as 9 QBs could be taken in the first 3 rounds. And that makes sense to me. The QBs coming into the league seem more plug and play than in the past. I think QBs coming into the league now are much more advanced than 10 years ago. Take the right guy in this draft, and you should have a starter by 2014.

That may be true, but I think more then anything that it is the new rules that make it easier for these younger QB's to have the success they are. The success of the spread offense seems to really be helping out so many of these fresh QB's from college.

GP 01-17-2013 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LonerATO (Post 2111582)
EJ Manuel would be a good fit for this system, but I hear that he has trouble digesting the playbook and that could hurt him.

I would think that attempting to digest a playbook would, indeed, hurt him.

:kitten:

:lol:

Playoffs 01-17-2013 10:56 PM

Texans also won't rule out drafting OL, TE, WR, RB, DL, LB, DB.

Our sources tell us Texans are unlikely to draft a K or P.