Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Holy Cow - Manti Teos Dead Girlfriend is a HOAX (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97943)

Stemp 01-16-2013 03:43 PM

Holy Cow - Manti Teos Dead Girlfriend is a HOAX - CONFIRMED

Quote:

Manti Teos Dead Girlfriend, The Most Heartbreaking And Inspirational Story Of The College Football Season, Is A Hoax

Notre Dame's Manti Te'o, the stories said, played this season under a terrible burden. A Mormon linebacker who led his Catholic school's football program back to glory, Te'o was whipsawed between personal tragedies along the way. In the span of six hours in September, as Sports Illustrated told it, Te'o learned first of the death of his grandmother, Annette Santiago, and then of the death of his girlfriend, Lennay Kekua.

Kekua, 22 years old, had been in a serious car accident in California, and then had been diagnosed with leukemia. SI's Pete Thamel described how Te'o would phone her in her hospital room and stay on the line with her as he slept through the night. "Her relatives told him that at her lowest points, as she fought to emerge from a coma, her breathing rate would increase at the sound of his voice," Thamel wrote.

Upon receiving the news of the two deaths, Te'o went out and led the Fighting Irish to a 20-3 upset of Michigan State, racking up 12 tackles. It was heartbreaking and inspirational. Te'o would appear on ESPN's College GameDay to talk about the letters Kekua had written him during her illness. He would send a heartfelt letter to the parents of a sick child, discussing his experience with disease and grief. The South Bend Tribune wrote an article describing the young couple's fairytale meetingshe, a Stanford student; he, a Notre Dame starafter a football game outside Palo Alto.

Did you enjoy the uplifiting story, the tale of a man who responded to adversity by becoming one of the top players of the game? If so, stop reading.

Manti Te'o did lose his grandmother this past fall. Annette Santiago died on Sept. 11, 2012, at the age of 72, according to Social Security Administration records in Nexis. But there is no SSA record there of the death of Lennay Marie Kekua, that day or any other. Her passing, recounted so many times in the national media, produces no obituary or funeral announcement in Nexis, and no mention in the Stanford student newspaper.

Nor is there any report of a severe auto accident involving a Lennay Kekua. Background checks turn up nothing. The Stanford registrar's office has no record that a Lennay Kekua ever enrolled. There is no record of her birth in the news. Outside of a few Twitter and Instagram accounts, there's no online evidence that Lennay Kekua ever existed.

The photographs identified as Kekuain online tributes and on TV news reportsare pictures from the social-media accounts of a 22-year-old California woman who is not named Lennay Kekua. She is not a Stanford graduate; she has not been in a severe car accident; and she does not have leukemia. And she has never met Manti Te'o.

Read more: http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-te...ium=socialflow
Simply unbelievable......

TexansBlood 01-16-2013 03:58 PM

Re: Holy Cow - Manti Teos Dead Girlfriend is a HOAX

If this is true karma got him, he played like **** and missed so many tackles in the championship game.

Stemp 01-16-2013 04:28 PM

Notre Dame has released a statement.
Quote:

"On Dec. 26, Notre Dame coaches were informed by Manti Te’o and his parents that Manti had been the victim of what appears to be a hoax in which someone using the fictitious name Lennay Kekua apparently ingratiated herself with Manti and then conspired with others to lead him to believe she had tragically died of leukemia. The University immediately initiated an investigation to assist Manti and his family in discovering the motive for and nature of this hoax. While the proper authorities will continue to investigate this troubling matter, this appears to be, at a minimum, a sad and very cruel deception to entertain its perpetrators. "
So they knew BEFORE the BCS NC game and it took a Deadspin story before they release a statement??

Dutchrudder 01-16-2013 04:34 PM

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/r...GIFs/tzqyP.gif

GlassHalfFull 01-16-2013 04:34 PM

Crazy stuff. Glad he didn't win the Heisman. I wonder how many of the awards he did win were off of the sympathy vote.

Kaiser Toro 01-16-2013 04:55 PM

The BCS deserves this story and it's fraudulent Golden Child. I would not be surprised if the alums had a strategic date to release this, such as the day when Obama unveils his proposals for gun control.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Dutchrudder 01-16-2013 05:00 PM

This is the goddamn funniest thing I have seen in a loooooooooong time! Great source material for jabs.

@michaelhayes: You know what was a good hoax? Ranking Notre Dame #2 in college football and letting them compete in the BCS title game.

Manti Te'o wasn't missing tackles in the National Championship, he was hugging his girlfriend.

@ObliviousNFLRef: Don't worry Manti, Ray Lewis killed a real person and people still love him

Ken Jennings ‏@KenJennings
WHOA. I am no longer the most famous Mormon to invent an always-suspiciously-absent "girlfriend" in college.

Manti Te'o, huge, huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge fan of Weekend At Bernie's.

From Notre Dame:

"On Dec. 26, Notre Dame coaches were informed by Manti Teo and his parents that Manti had been the victim of what appears to be a hoax in which someone using the fictitious name Lennay Kekua apparently ingratiated herself with Manti and then conspired with others to lead him to believe she had tragically died of leukemia. The University immediately initiated an investigation to assist Manti and his family in discovering the motive for and nature of this hoax. While the proper authorities will continue to investigate this troubling matter, this appears to be, at a minimum, a sad and very cruel deception to entertain its perpetrators. "

:crazy:

Stemp 01-16-2013 05:22 PM

Te'o statement

Quote:

"This is incredibly embarrassing to talk about, but over an extended period of time, I developed an emotional relationship with a woman I met online. We maintained what I thought to be an authentic relationship by communicating frequently online and on the phone, and I grew to care deeply about her.

"To realize that I was the victim of what was apparently someone's sick joke and constant lies was, and is, painful and humiliating.

"It further pains me that the grief I felt and the sympathies expressed to me at the time of my grandmother's death in September were in any way deepened by what I believed to be another significant loss in my life.

"I am enormously grateful for the support of my family, friends and Notre Dame fans throughout this year. To think that I shared with them my happiness about my relationship and details that I thought to be true about her just makes me sick. I hope that people can understand how trying and confusing this whole experience has been.

"In retrospect, I obviously should have been much more cautious. If anything good comes of this, I hope it is that others will be far more guarded when they engage with people online than I was.

"Fortunately, I have many wonderful things in my life, and I'm looking forward to putting this painful experience behind me as I focus on preparing for the NFL Draft."

Ryan 01-16-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutchrudder (Post 2110731)
This is the goddamn funniest thing I have seen in a loooooooooong time! Great source material for jabs.

@michaelhayes: You know what was a good hoax? Ranking Notre Dame #2 in college football and letting them compete in the BCS title game.

Manti Te'o wasn't missing tackles in the National Championship, he was hugging his girlfriend.

@ObliviousNFLRef: Don't worry Manti, Ray Lewis killed a real person and people still love him

Ken Jennings ‏@KenJennings
WHOA. I am no longer the most famous Mormon to invent an always-suspiciously-absent "girlfriend" in college.

Manti Te'o, huge, huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge fan of Weekend At Bernie's.

From Notre Dame:

"On Dec. 26, Notre Dame coaches were informed by Manti Teo and his parents that Manti had been the victim of what appears to be a hoax in which someone using the fictitious name Lennay Kekua apparently ingratiated herself with Manti and then conspired with others to lead him to believe she had tragically died of leukemia. The University immediately initiated an investigation to assist Manti and his family in discovering the motive for and nature of this hoax. While the proper authorities will continue to investigate this troubling matter, this appears to be, at a minimum, a sad and very cruel deception to entertain its perpetrators. "

:crazy:

LMAO MSR.

And of course ESPN is trying to portray him as the victim. B*tch, please.

Vinny 01-16-2013 05:28 PM

I wonder if the "I didn't know it was a hoax" hoax will get any traction.

Stemp 01-16-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinny (Post 2110744)

ESPN is running with it and portraying him as a victim. But most everyone else is seeing through the last bit of BS.

Wolf 01-16-2013 05:36 PM

http://img.gawkerassets.com/post/11/...ity__hd_-1.jpg

GlassHalfFull 01-16-2013 05:39 PM

Quote:

The good news is that Brent Musberger still thinks Manti's girlfriend is fine as hell

:kitten:

Honoring Earl 34 01-16-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinny (Post 2110744)

I think he's got Connor Barwin's support if he wants to come clean . :clown:

Vinny 01-16-2013 05:51 PM

my favorite tweet about this so far>>> These Te'o jokes are all very funny but let's all try and remember that a person who never existed is dead.

GlassHalfFull 01-16-2013 06:01 PM

Him knowing the story was about to break probably explains him skipping the senior bowl

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ng-senior-bowl

Quote:

Participating in the Senior Bowl is a huge asset for players to shoot up the boards and start generating buzz around their names.

It seems like a must-attend event for the linebacker after two consecutive lossesHeisman vote and title gamewith the national spotlight brightly on him.

Whatever ends up happening with Teo in the NFL, he isnt doing his draft stock any favors by opting out of the Senior Bowl.

gg no re 01-16-2013 06:05 PM

http://blu.stb.s-msn.com/i/60/1E9213...398CDD5FDD.jpg

Rey 01-16-2013 06:06 PM

Crazy stuff. If he didn't Kbps it was a hoax I have to question his sensibilities. I wouldn't call him stupid, but maybe he's a ditto head?

Honoring Earl 34 01-16-2013 06:40 PM

We had the Throwin Samoan and now the Lyin Hawaiian .

Playoffs 01-16-2013 06:43 PM

Gullible, naive, most likely a virgin. I feel bad for the guy.