Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Liberty White unis (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97830)

djohn2oo8 01-13-2013 01:36 PM

Liberty White unis

Drew Dougherty @DoughertyDrew

The good guys are wearing Liberty White jerseys AND pants today. Or, as @ArianFoster says, the "icy whites". #TexansGameday

gtexan02 01-13-2013 01:40 PM

Re: Liberty White unis

Inb4 white flag comments...

Lucky 01-13-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckhouston (Post 2105306)
Doesn't the away team typically wear white?

Unless the home team wants to wear white (like Dallas). The Texans usually (maybe always) wear the blue pants with the white jersey when on the road. Like the letterman jackets, the Texans are trying to change their luck.

infantrycak 01-13-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckhouston (Post 2105306)
Doesn't the away team typically wear white?

Not sure the league lets you go into someones house wearing Battle Red.

Every team has a light and dark uniform. The host team gets to pick which they want to wear and then the visiting team has to wear the other.

There was some goofy crud in the '70's that the Cowboys didn't play as well in blue so some teams were picking their uniforms to make the Cowboys wear them.

Alternate jerseys are only worn at home and I believe only in the regular season.

Lucky 01-13-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infantrycak (Post 2105310)
Alternate jerseys are only worn at home and I believe only in the regular season.

I've seen the Cowboys, and I think Niners, wear their throwback jersey in the playoffs.

Surreal McCoy 01-13-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtexan02 (Post 2105307)
Inb4 white flag comments...

LOL so true. so sad :(

thunderkyss 01-13-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky (Post 2105309)
Unless the home team wants to wear white (like Dallas). The Texans usually (maybe always) wear the blue pants with the white jersey when on the road. Like the letterman jackets, the Texans are trying to change their luck.

This stinks to letterman jackets to me.

If we lose, that's going to be the story. Arian was too worried about our wardrobe or some crap like that.

Speedy 01-13-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky (Post 2105311)
I've seen the Cowboys, and I think Niners, wear their throwback jersey in the playoffs.

The Cowboys have never worn throwbacks in a playoff game. And I'd be willing to bet no other team has either.

infantrycak 01-13-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky (Post 2105311)

Hmmm - I wonder if there are different rules for alternates and throwbacks? Could have sworn the rule for alternates was two regular season home games.

Lucky 01-13-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedy (Post 2105322)
The Cowboys have never worn throwbacks in a playoff game. And I'd be willing to bet no other team has either.

I won't take your money.

1994 NFC Championship game.

Lucky 01-13-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infantrycak (Post 2105325)
Hmmm - I wonder if there are different rules for alternates and throwbacks? Could have sworn the rule for alternates was two regular season home games.

I don't know. The Cowboys throwback is their alternate jersey.

Speedy 01-13-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky (Post 2105329)
I won't take your money.

Well I'll be damned. Don't know how I missed that.

infantrycak 01-13-2013 02:04 PM

It's wiki but:

Quote:

The NFL was the last of the major professional sports leagues to adopt the third jersey rule in 2002, with the only exceptions being the 1994 season, when teams issued a throwback uniform in honor of the league's 75th Anniversary. Initially, the NFL rule stated that a team may wear their third jersey only once a year, however, after one year this restriction was increased to twice a year. There are currently no rules on wearing alternate pants. Teams are also permitted to wear alternate jerseys as often as desired in playoff games (except the Super Bowl, where teams must wear their standard uniforms); the only team to do so (other than in 1994) was the 2008 San Diego Chargers.

Lucky 01-13-2013 02:08 PM

Per cak's info above, the 2009 Charger-Colt playoff game with San Diego in powder blue.

Link

AMartin56 01-13-2013 02:13 PM

The Texans need to make more than a fashion statement today...I don't like it. Do any other teams in the league make a similar fuss about battle red etc? It seems a bit much at times.

infantrycak 01-13-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMartin56 (Post 2105350)
The Texans need to make more than a fashion statement today...I don't like it. Do any other teams in the league make a similar fuss about battle red etc? It seems a bit much at times.

It isn't a fashion statement. The Pats picked their ordinary home blue uniforms which meant the Texans had to wear their white uniforms (maybe they could have worn red but that would have been the fashion statement). As Lucky mentioned the Cowboys' home uniform is white which means everyone has to wear their dark uniforms at Texas Stadium. This is much ado about nothing.

Lucky 01-13-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMartin56 (Post 2105350)
Do any other teams in the league make a similar fuss about battle red etc? It seems a bit much at times.

Every team has an alternate jersey. Just like every team goes "And that's good for a _____ ______ 1st down!". NFL marketing is what it's all about.

Tailgate 01-13-2013 02:18 PM

We are well within our rights to wear these. This is not going to change our teams mentality, and we are simply going to look better than if we had our white on blue PJ look going on.

Was anyone bitching when we wore all blue last week?

Good choice Texans.

Tailgate 01-13-2013 02:18 PM

Double post

Mr. White 01-13-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky (Post 2105329)
I won't take your money.

That Cowboys jersey wasn't a throwback, but Jerry's own alternate "double star" jersey. I don't think they kept it for more than a few years.

I was living in Dallas back then and remember unadulterated hate for this jersey on the part of the media and fans. Not only was it ugly, but the team usually lost the games when they wore them.

I'm pretty sure the 49ers were wearing their throwback uniform in that game. They got hot after their throwback game and kept them all season.