Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The National Football League (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Peyton Manning will forever go down as the most unclutch QB in playoff history (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97802)

AndyWin 01-12-2013 08:15 PM

Peyton Manning will forever go down as the most unclutch QB in playoff history
 
I know his defense has let him down (both the colts in the past and broncos today) and he has one ring, but Peyton Manning will go down as the most unclutch & overrated quarterback in playoff history.

"I really believe that you earn your paycheck during the season. And the postseason is all about creating your legacy."
-Aaron Rodgers

Playoffs 01-12-2013 08:17 PM

Re: Peyton Manning will forever go down as the most unclutch QB in playoff history
 
Chillax, man. Not everything is the end of the world.

eriadoc 01-12-2013 08:19 PM

Re: Peyton Manning will forever go down as the most unclutch QB in playoff history
 
Univ of Tenn fans never thought he was clutch to begin with.

AndyWin 01-12-2013 08:23 PM

Re: Peyton Manning will forever go down as the most unclutch QB in playoff history
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by eriadoc (Post 2104569)
Univ of Tenn fans never thought he was clutch to begin with.

Yup, give me Peyton in the regular season and his brother in the playoffs

thunderkyss 01-12-2013 09:48 PM

Re: Peyton Manning will forever go down as the most unclutch QB in playoff history
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyWin (Post 2104562)
I know his defense has let him down (both the colts in the past and broncos today) and he has one ring, but Peyton Manning will go down as the most unclutch & overrated quarterback in playoff history.

Anti-Clutch I'm sure, but over-rated?

First ballot HOFer...... they'll probably induct him the year before his first ballot.

GlassHalfFull 01-12-2013 09:50 PM

Re: Peyton Manning will forever go down as the most unclutch QB in playoff history
 
Jim Kelly disagrees with this.

toronto 01-12-2013 09:59 PM

Re: Peyton Manning will forever go down as the most unclutch QB in playoff history
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull (Post 2104743)
Jim Kelly disagrees with this.

The NFL version of Warren Moon also disagrees.

Mr teX 01-12-2013 10:06 PM

Re: Peyton Manning will forever go down as the most unclutch QB in playoff history
 
I think more than anything it shows that as good as he is, he needs a great coach to protect him from himself...he has too much leeway in terms of dictating what the offense does. You need someone on the outside to help you break tendencies and to do things outside of the box.

..they tried to do this early in the season by running other offensive packages that weren't part of the "manning" offense at different stretches ...and the offense with manning didn't look so hot. So they just went all manning and got rolling, but when u get to the playoffs and face teams with solid defenses, they know how to slow that down and frustrate him...

417Texan 01-12-2013 10:10 PM

Re: Peyton Manning will forever go down as the most unclutch QB in playoff history
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr teX (Post 2104758)
I think more than anything it shows that as good as he is, he needs a great coach to protect him from himself...he has too much leeway in terms of dictating what the offense does. You need someone on the outside to help you break tendencies and to do things outside of the box.

..they tried to do this early in the season by running other offensive packages that weren't part of the "manning" offense at different stretches ...and the offense with manning didn't look so hot. So they just went all manning and got rolling, but when u get to the playoffs and face teams with solid defenses, they know how to slow that down and frustrate him...


Manning ego gets in the way of him at times. He never listens to his coaches all the time and gets a major free pass from the media.

ObsiWan 01-12-2013 10:10 PM

Re: Peyton Manning will forever go down as the most unclutch QB in playoff history
 
Yes... yes....

I see a Manning on our screen, sir

:faildetector:

MEGA SWATT 01-12-2013 10:18 PM

Re: Peyton Manning will forever go down as the most unclutch QB in playoff history
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr teX (Post 2104758)
I think more than anything it shows that as good as he is, he needs a great coach to protect him from himself...he has too much leeway in terms of dictating what the offense does. You need someone on the outside to help you break tendencies and to do things outside of the box.

..they tried to do this early in the season by running other offensive packages that weren't part of the "manning" offense at different stretches ...and the offense with manning didn't look so hot. So they just went all manning and got rolling, but when u get to the playoffs and face teams with solid defenses, they know how to slow that down and frustrate him...

Nice explanation. Agree
Five head FTL

Mr teX 01-12-2013 10:20 PM

Re: Peyton Manning will forever go down as the most unclutch QB in playoff history
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 417Texan (Post 2104770)
Manning ego gets in the way of him at times. He never listens to his coaches all the time and gets a major free pass from the media.

Its not that he doesnt listen, coaches trust him too much is all..& he's too aggressive offensively b/c he's always looking for the quick score. They fall into the trap of trusting him too much b/c during the regular season, he more often than not comes thru for them with this aggressive style and the points fly...but in the playoffs, those quick scores and that agressiveness bites them and him in the ass b/c good defenses aren't going to Allow that.

As a coach, you've got to resist the urge to put your complete offense in his hands...

qqert 01-12-2013 10:25 PM

Re: Peyton Manning will forever go down as the most unclutch QB in playoff history
 
cant really hate on the guy. role model on and off tbe field.
has a fighters heart considering his offseason surgeries ..
and he has 15 more touchdowns than matt schaub on his first year from it.

infantrycak 01-12-2013 10:27 PM

Re: Peyton Manning will forever go down as the most unclutch QB in playoff history
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr teX (Post 2104785)
Its not that he doesnt listen, coaches trust him too much is all..& he's too aggressive offensively b/c he's always looking for the quick score. They fall into the trap of trusting him too much b/c during the regular season, he more often than not comes thru for them with this aggressive style and the points fly...but in the playoffs, those quick scores and that agressiveness bites them and him in the ass b/c good defenses aren't going to Allow that.

As a coach, you've got to resist the urge to put your complete offense in his hands...

Did you see the Tony Dungy statements on Peyton becoming a coach the other day? Everybody kind of expects him to go into coaching but Dungy said he won't be successful. Peyton expects everyone to be as smart as him, expects people to adopt new ideas and perform them in an instant and doesn't perceive other peoples' capabilities well.

TEXANRED 01-12-2013 10:31 PM

Re: Peyton Manning will forever go down as the most unclutch QB in playoff history
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by toronto (Post 2104753)
The NFL version of Warren Moon also disagrees.

The guy who went to 3 Grey Cups and won 2 of them?

TexanSam 01-12-2013 10:32 PM

Re: Peyton Manning will forever go down as the most unclutch QB in playoff history
 
No he won't. He's won a Super Bowl. He's screwed up in the playoffs more than once, but having that ring means he isn't in the conversation of anti-clutch QBs.

Mr teX 01-12-2013 10:36 PM

Re: Peyton Manning will forever go down as the most unclutch QB in playoff history
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by infantrycak (Post 2104794)
Did you see the Tony Dungy statements on Peyton becoming a coach the other day? Everybody kind of expects him to go into coaching but Dungy said he won't be successful. Peyton expects everyone to be as smart as him, expects people to adopt new ideas and perform them in an instant and doesn't perceive other peoples' capabilities well.

Yeah, thats more of the competitive nature of the guy though and arguably his strongest attribute as a leader and a qb...forcing everybody to raise their game.....MJ was the same way...i have a hard time faulting him for being that way. I fault the coaches more for letting him be that way and taking over their offense. I mean for christs sakes he took jim caldwell to a SB..

stingray 01-12-2013 10:40 PM

Re: Peyton Manning will forever go down as the most unclutch QB in playoff history
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TexanSam (Post 2104807)
No he won't. He's won a Super Bowl. He's screwed up in the playoffs more than once, but having that ring means he isn't in the conversation of anti-clutch QBs.

I disagree...the atlanta braves of the nineties won a title...but they are remembered as anti clutch and underachievers by a lot of experts.

infantrycak 01-12-2013 10:44 PM

Re: Peyton Manning will forever go down as the most unclutch QB in playoff history
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr teX (Post 2104812)
Yeah, thats more of the competitive nature of the guy though and arguably his strongest attribute as a leader and a qb...forcing everybody to raise their game.....MJ was the same way...i have a hard time faulting him for being that way. I fault the coaches more for letting him be that way and taking over their offense. I mean for christs sakes he took jim caldwell to a SB..

I don't think Dungey's point was that Peyton is more competitive than coaches or other players, it was he is oblivious to other peoples' ability to absorb information and he gets frustrated easily. He gave the example of Manning walking in on a Friday or Saturday with 20 new plays he wanted to put in for the game on Sunday and Dungy would have to tell him we can look at these for later but we can't get the team up to speed on all this in a day. But that was on the potential to be a coach. I agree coaches have let him get out of control.

Hookem Horns 01-12-2013 10:46 PM

Re: Peyton Manning will forever go down as the most unclutch QB in playoff history
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TEXANRED (Post 2104806)
The guy who went to 3 Grey Cups and won 2 of them?

That is why he said "NFL" version. Moon was the biggest playoff choke artist that I ever had the displeasure of rooting for.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger