Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Two articles about JJ Watt's season (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97686)

b0ng 01-09-2013 10:05 AM

Two articles about JJ Watt's season

The Defeatist

Quote:

The following table shows the top six Defeat totals of the last 20 years. There is a tie between two playoff-relevant players at the bottom, which is why the list extends to seven names.
Code:

Player            Position        Year        Defeats
J.J. Watt              DE        2012        56
Ray Lewis              LB        1999        45
Derrick Brooks        LB        1999        42
Ed McDaniel            LB        1998        40
Zach Thomas            LB        1998        40
Ray Lewis              LB        2003        39
Von Miller            LB        2012        39

Quote:

Here’s one last mind-boggler: Watt in the red zone. He has three sacks, two forced fumbles, six tackles for a loss, two tackles for no gain and three deflected passes, one of which was intercepted by a teammate and returned to set up a score. Watt’s red-zone big play production trumps many defensive linemen’s whole-field big play production.
JJ Watt: Football's Triple Crown Winner

Quote:

In the regular season, the 6-foot-5, 290-pounder achieved the "Triple Crown" for a defensive lineman: he became the first player to lead the NFL in run stuffs (tackles for losses on rushing plays), quarterback sacks and batted passes.
http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/i...0108201204.jpg

Quote:

But this doesn't even do his season justice: Since Stats LLC began recording all three categories in 1992, his 23.5 run stuffs were nearly double the second most recorded—12 by Indianapolis Colts linebacker Kavell Conner in 2011. Watt's 15 batted passes also far exceeded the second-best mark of 11 by Minnesota Vikings defensive end Jared Allen in 2007. And the 20.5 sacks Watt recorded were just two off the all-time single-season record by Michael Strahan, formerly of the New York Giants.

Foxboro Steve 01-09-2013 10:07 AM

Re: Two articles about JJ Watt's season

He's the man. If you guys win, it's on his back.

IDEXAN 01-09-2013 10:13 AM

Watt will attempt to fill the one glaring hole in his otherwise dominant season Sunday against the Patriots (4:30 p.m. ET, on CBS). In Week 14, Watt got shut out in all three categories as Tom Brady threw four touchdowns in a 42-14 rout over Houston.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...ections_sports
Here's hoping JJ gets redemption in NE this weekend.

EllisUnit 01-09-2013 10:14 AM

His stats are impressive but what him play is more so. A man amongst boys in his NFL world...

GP 01-09-2013 10:31 AM

I don't count the final sack Strahan had, since Favre hit the ground for Strahan and let him have the sack.

Biggest bogus thing to do. EVER.

Just another reason why I can't stand Brett Favre.

gtexan02 01-09-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GP (Post 2101333)
I don't count the final sack Strahan had, since Favre hit the ground for Strahan and let him have the sack.

Biggest bogus thing to do. EVER.

Just another reason why I can't stand Brett Favre.

Lets also not forget that Watt had a sack taken away from him from the Miami game (ridiculous, considering it was like 6 weeks after the fact)

AND

He had a sack/fumble stolen from him in the Indy game

Playoffs 01-09-2013 11:23 AM

When do they award the Defensive Player of the Year award? It's about time for it, not?

thunderkyss 01-09-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllisUnit (Post 2101324)
His stats are impressive but what him play is more so.

English, please.

Look at how many times Bruce Smith is on this list

Jared Allen twice..... I always thought I respected his game, but wow.

Strahan twice.

Not a whole lot of "dominant" defensive players out there.

Playoffs 01-09-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiddler (Post 2101472)

A number of dominant defensive player years, not many "one man team" player years out there.

MEGA SWATT 01-09-2013 01:39 PM

awesome, thx op.

go JJ :swatter:

EllisUnit 01-09-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiddler (Post 2101472)
English, please.

Look at how many times Bruce Smith is on this list

Jared Allen twice..... I always thought I respected his game, but wow.

Strahan twice.

Haha I meant watching him play is more impressive, damn blackberry.

Lucky 01-09-2013 08:25 PM

When were run stuffs and batted passes official stats? I have to think that some of Reggie White's great years in the 80's would have made this list.

eriadoc 01-09-2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky (Post 2101762)
When were run stuffs and batted passes official stats? I have to think that some of Reggie White's great years in the 80's would have made this list.

No idea, but I found this in an article:

Quote:

In just his second season since the Texans made him a first-round pick out of the University of Wisconsin, Watt is tied for the league-lead with 19.5 sacks, has 33 tackles for loss, 38 quarterback hits, 15 passes defensed and three forced fumbles. He's the only player in NFL history with at least 15 sacks and 15 passes defensed in a single season, breaking White's record for passes defensed by a defensive lineman (13) in the process.

According to the Texans, Watt has been a part of 84 plays this season that have resulted in zero or negative yards. And his 34.5 combined sacks and passes defensed are the most in a single season since passes defensed became an officially tracked statistic in 1991.

b0ng 01-09-2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky (Post 2101762)

1992 from one of the articles.

Carr Bombed 01-10-2013 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Playoffs (Post 2101377)
When do they award the Defensive Player of the Year award? It's about time for it, not?

Feb, 2