Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Texans LT Brown didnt find the column funny :) (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97680)

EllisUnit 01-08-2013 07:33 PM

Texans LT Brown didnt find the column funny :)
 
Honestly didnt think players paid attention to articles and stuff. So kind of interesting...

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/pos...d-column-funny



Quote:

Arian Foster put up the lead of Dan Shaughnessy’s recent Boston Globe column as his Twitter avatar.

When a follower asked if he felt disrespected by the piece that called the Texans a layup and tomato cans for Patriots on Sunday, Foster replied: “Not at all. Just thought it was funny.”



Of Dan Shaughnessy's recent Boston Globe column, Texans' left tackle Duane Brown said: "I don't think it was funny. I don't think it was funny at all." Foster’s left tackle, Duane Brown, expanded on that when I spoke to him a bit on Tuesday evening. Brown said he thinks the first back to top 100 yards in each of his first three playoff games simply found the piece to be a joke.

“I thought he did it more as a joke,” Brown said of Foster’s avatar switch. “I don’t think he saw it as bulletin board material. I think he just sort of thought it was funny.”

thunderkyss 01-08-2013 07:42 PM

Re: Texans LT Brown didnt find the column funny :)
 
I don't understand the tomato can thing myself.

Can anyone break it down for me?

House of Pain 01-08-2013 07:54 PM

Re: Texans LT Brown didnt find the column funny :)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2101030)
I don't understand the tomato can thing myself.

Can anyone break it down for me?

Tomato Can = a term (in boxing) to describe an opponent who may appear to be real competition, however, isn't in the same league as the fighter he is going up against.

Texan_Bill 01-08-2013 07:57 PM

Re: Texans LT Brown didnt find the column funny :)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by EllisUnit (Post 2101023)
Honestly didnt think players paid attention to articles and stuff. So kind of interesting...

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/pos...d-column-funny

I was listening to Randy Cross on the radio earlier today (yeah, that Cross - longtime center for the 9ers) and he was asked about Shaughnessy's piece and how that may affect the Texans players. He was of the opinion that 80-90% of the players wouldn't be affected, but also warned that you need to be carefull of the 10-20% that it may have an effect on...

I thought it was pretty insightfull.

Anyway, Arian Foster changing his Twitter avatar to Schaughnessy's piece was probably only that Arian marches to his own beat and not that he sweats this asshat!

powda 01-08-2013 07:59 PM

Re: Texans LT Brown didnt find the column funny :)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2101030)
I don't understand the tomato can thing myself.

Can anyone break it down for me?

I misinterpreted 1 and done so what the hell would I know about tomato cans?

Texan_Bill 01-08-2013 08:00 PM

Re: Texans LT Brown didnt find the column funny :)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by powda (Post 2101047)
I misinterpreted 1 and done so what the hell would I know about tomato cans?

Mike Tyson v. Micheal Spinks...... Spinks being a "tomato can".... (or at least after the fact - 91 seconds if memory serves correct). ;)

powda 01-08-2013 08:17 PM

Re: Texans LT Brown didnt find the column funny :)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Texan_Bill (Post 2101049)
Mike Tyson v. Micheal Spinks...... Spinks being a "tomato can".... (or at least after the fact - 91 seconds if memory serves correct). ;)

Do people fight tomato cans often? :dangit:

Texan_Bill 01-08-2013 08:22 PM

Re: Texans LT Brown didnt find the column funny :)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by powda (Post 2101058)
Do people fight tomato cans often? :dangit:

Well the sport of boxing has been a bunch of tomato cans for a long time.. Now, that said, I know the expression originated in boxing but have no idea how it really came about. :D

LonerATO 01-08-2013 08:36 PM

Re: Texans LT Brown didnt find the column funny :)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Texan_Bill (Post 2101061)
Well the sport of boxing has been a bunch of tomato cans for a long time.. Now, that said, I know the expression originated in boxing but have no idea how it really came about. :D

It's origin is based on a fighter, who would bleed a lot in a fight, but it is now used to reference a weaker opponent, who is easily defeated.

powda 01-08-2013 08:47 PM

Re: Texans LT Brown didnt find the column funny :)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LonerATO (Post 2101069)
It's origin is based on a fighter who would bleed a lot in a fight, but it is now used to reference a weaker opponent who is easily defeated.

Rep.

Lol. I was about to start looking over my shoulder more often in the grocery store...

Lucky 01-08-2013 08:52 PM

Re: Texans LT Brown didnt find the column funny :)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Texan_Bill (Post 2101049)
Mike Tyson v. Micheal Spinks...... Spinks being a "tomato can".... (or at least after the fact - 91 seconds if memory serves correct). ;)

Spinks was 31-0 prior to the Tyson fightand considered one of the greatest Light Heavyweights of all time. Buster Douglas was considered a "tomato can", a 40-1 underdog. Then he knocked Iron Mike out.

Playoffs 01-08-2013 08:53 PM

Re: Texans LT Brown didnt find the column funny :)
 
Rocky (1976)
Quote:

Mickey: You know what you are?
Rocky: No, what?
Mickey: A tomato.
Rocky: A tomato?
Mickey: Yeah, and I'm running a business here, not a goddamn soup kitchen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato_can_(sports_idiom)

Texan_Bill 01-08-2013 08:55 PM

Re: Texans LT Brown didnt find the column funny :)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LonerATO (Post 2101069)
It's origin is based on a fighter who would bleed a lot in a fight, but it is now used to reference a weaker opponent who is easily defeated.

Thank You!! Equally repped!

Texan_Bill 01-08-2013 09:02 PM

Re: Texans LT Brown didnt find the column funny :)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky (Post 2101080)
Spinks was 31-0 prior to the Tyson fightand considered one of the greatest Light Heavyweights of all time. Buster Douglas was considered a "tomato can", a 40-1 underdog. Then he knocked Iron Mike out.

While I agree with Douglas being considered a "tomato can" going "in" as a 40-1 underdog, Spinks, a then thought of a worthy opponent (31-0 as you point out), became a "tomato can" after the fact, whenever he got knocked out as quickly as he did. Which, BTW lends itself to the demise of Heavy Weight Boxing (as we all knew it)....

********

Sure there was Lennox Lewis, maybe another or two... BUT EFFFFF, what the hell happened to Boxing at the bigger weight????

Tailgate 01-08-2013 09:09 PM

Re: Texans LT Brown didnt find the column funny :)
 
Edit

powda 01-08-2013 09:17 PM

Re: Texans LT Brown didnt find the column funny :)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Texan_Bill (Post 2101088)
While I agree with Douglas being considered a "tomato can" going "in" as a 40-1 underdog, Spinks, a then thought of a worthy opponent (31-0 as you point out), became a "tomato can" after the fact, whenever he got knocked out as quickly as he did. Which, BTW lends itself to the demise of Heavy Weight Boxing (as we all knew it)....

********

Sure there was Lennox Lewis, maybe another or two... BUT EFFFFF, what the hell happened to Boxing at the bigger weight????

Don king sucks. And so does this ******* columnist.

EllisUnit 01-08-2013 10:26 PM

Re: Texans LT Brown didnt find the column funny :)
 
this turned into a boxing thread hmmm

The last time i watched a boxing match we payed 95$ to see Tyson "knocked out" in the first 30 seconds of the fight. Yeah that kinda turned me away from that, plus it looked so staged that WWE could of done it better.:chickendance:

mussop 01-08-2013 10:33 PM

Re: Texans LT Brown didnt find the column funny :)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by EllisUnit (Post 2101125)
this turned into a boxing thread hmmm

The last time i watched a boxing match we payed 95$ to see Tyson "knocked out" in the first 30 seconds of the fight. Yeah that kinda turned me away from that, plus it looked so staged that WWE could of done it better.:chickendance:

Can't believe that some of you have never heard that reference.

powda 01-08-2013 10:44 PM

Re: Texans LT Brown didnt find the column funny :)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by EllisUnit (Post 2101125)
this turned into a boxing thread hmmm

The last time i watched a boxing match we payed 95$ to see Tyson "knocked out" in the first 30 seconds of the fight. Yeah that kinda turned me away from that, plus it looked so staged that WWE could of done it better.:chickendance:

Roy jones jr vs. some guy here. $50.

1st round...circle the guy circle...faint, circle.
2nd round...circles, maybe 2 jabs that connected.
3rd round...caught with a counter punch 20 seconds in. Game over.

Never again.

I guess if we want to keep this thread in the football forum I should say something like, "lets hit the pats with some haymakers!"

HJam72 01-09-2013 08:09 AM

Re: Texans LT Brown didnt find the column funny :)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by powda (Post 2101058)
Do people fight tomato cans often? :dangit:

If you throw them at your TV after a Texans loss, you'll still have yer beer.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger