Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   split back formation? (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97501)

legacy_gt 01-03-2013 08:28 PM

split back formation?

i know a lot of people have been criticizing the play calling of kubs and the offensive line and the lack of the running game.

to throw some things in the mix, what do you guys think if the texans ran a split running back formation in which both foster and tate were in the backfield? using this, we can utilize both running backs. also, the backs can swing to either side and be used as receivers. having both backs also gives an option for more pass protection.

i know we use the single back formation and that makes the play action more effective but having more plays in the playbook, especially when our offense becomes more predictable, would be a great asset in my opinion.

of course i wouldn't run something like this at this time of year.

amazing80 01-03-2013 09:05 PM

Re: split back formation?

Quote:

Originally Posted by legacy_gt (Post 2095858)
i know a lot of people have been criticizing the play calling of kubs and the offensive line and the lack of the running game.

to throw some things in the mix, what do you guys think if the texans ran a split running back formation in which both foster and tate were in the backfield? using this, we can utilize both running backs. also, the backs can swing to either side and be used as receivers. having both backs also gives an option for more pass protection.

i know we use the single back formation and that makes the play action more effective but having more plays in the playbook, especially when our offense becomes more predictable, would be a great asset in my opinion.

of course i wouldn't run something like this at this time of year.

To be honest I wondered why we never tried running the wild cat a bit with Casey, Foster and Tate...that would be deadly IMO

Other then that, I don't think Schaub has the moxy to do anything like this or even manage a split back formation....

powda 01-03-2013 09:18 PM

The problem with a foster/tate backfield is casey is a far better blocker and receiver then tate. Are you willing to take him out on a pass play when our ol sucks?

I'd actually like to see it to under the right circumstances because it puts one of our more explosive players on the field (taterr.)

However, in a split back set the backs are way closer to the line of scrimmage. You might of noticed foster lines up DEEP. This seems to be intentional as it gives the back more time to wait on blocks and pick the cut. I dont know if thats accurate or just an assumption on my part, but the last time I saw a back line up as deep as foster it was jamal lewis.

legacy_gt 01-03-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powda (Post 2095889)
The problem with a foster/tate backfield is casey is a far better blocker and receiver then tate. Are you willing to take him out on a pass play when our ol sucks?

I'd actually like to see it to under the right circumstances because it puts one of our more explosive players on the field (taterr.)

However, in a split back set the backs are way closer to the line of scrimmage. You might of noticed foster lines up DEEP. This seems to be intentional as it gives the back more time to wait on blocks and pick the cut. I dont know if thats accurate or just an assumption on my part, but the last time I saw a back line up as deep as foster it was jamal lewis.

there are worst offensive lines than ours. a sweep to either right or left with the open running back blocking would be a cool play too.

even with our off line, a screen to either right or left would also be good. in the grand scheme of things, i think a double back adds more diversity and a diff look to our texans...especially when we have very good backs in tate and foster.

wildcat imo needs to have at least the Fb or rb being able to throw.

powda 01-03-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by legacy_gt (Post 2095898)
i think a double back adds more diversity and a diff look to our texans...

What we're doing right now isn't working and i'm more then agreeable to some diversity. I just wonder if theres another kubiak philosophy in this he will stubbornly refuse to bend.

With casey we should have mixed in a few wildcat attempts by now. I guess "kubes" is scarred by the Chris Brown toss.

Lucky 01-03-2013 09:49 PM

It's the classic WCO formation but you rarely see it deployed anymore. I think Foster could be outstanding out of the split back, but not sure if Tate is a good fit.

TheIronDuke 01-03-2013 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by legacy_gt (Post 2095898)
there are worst offensive lines than ours. a sweep to either right or left with the open running back blocking would be a cool play too.

even with our off line, a screen to either right or left would also be good. in the grand scheme of things, i think a double back adds more diversity and a diff look to our texans...especially when we have very good backs in tate and foster.

wildcat imo needs to have at least the Fb or rb being able to throw.

Casey can throw, was probably going to be the QB for Rice if he didn't enter the draft, at least he said that in an interview I heard.

I'd love to see Foster and Tate on the field together, at least to show something different.

legacy_gt 01-03-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky (Post 2095908)
It's the classic WCO formation but you rarely see it deployed anymore. I think Foster could be outstanding out of the split back, but not sure if Tate is a good fit.

we've seen some really stagnant play calling as of late. split back formation would really throw something else in the mix for both running and throwing. it's a proven formation and still used.

legacy_gt 01-03-2013 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheIronDuke (Post 2095914)
Casey can throw, was probably going to be the QB for Rice if he didn't enter the draft, at least he said that in an interview I heard.

I'd love to see Foster and Tate on the field together, at least to show something different.

i didn't know casey could throw. would be cool to also do some flea flicker plays as well.

pissknocker 01-03-2013 11:39 PM

Thor throwing a bomb in pregame warmups last Sunday

http://twitter.yfrog.com/136rrkphsrmhrarpayekquviz

Vinny 01-03-2013 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky (Post 2095908)

Tate isn't a good blocker. If you are not carrying the ball and you aren't the QB, you better be able to block in a split back (at least once you leave boola-boola ball).

legacy_gt 01-04-2013 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pissknocker (Post 2095995)
Thor throwing a bomb in pregame warmups last Sunday

http://twitter.yfrog.com/136rrkphsrmhrarpayekquviz

whoa, flea flicker, wildcat, kubiak should have used casey more.

Big Lou 01-04-2013 12:33 AM

Where have the screens gone? I've only seen a handful the last several weeks. Call a screen or two get the DL out of the backfield for crap sake!!!!!!

legacy_gt 01-04-2013 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Lou (Post 2096044)
Where have the screens gone? I've only seen a handful the last several weeks. Call a screen or two get the DL out of the backfield for crap sake!!!!!!

kubiak is saving it for some playoff runs.

powda 01-04-2013 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by legacy_gt (Post 2096049)
kubiak is saving it for some playoff runs.

You mean along with the top secret "false start" plays designed to keep defenses over confident?

BullNation4Life 01-04-2013 12:52 AM

to answer the OP question, it will never happen because Gary Kubiak is not creative with his play calling, or at least creative enough...

Kubiak has a "by the book" old coaching mentality that has very little room for creativity...

legacy_gt 01-04-2013 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BullNation4Life (Post 2096059)
to answer the OP question, it will never happen because Gary Kubiak is not creative with his play calling, or at least creative enough...

Kubiak has a "by the book" old coaching mentality that has very little room for creativity...

at this stage in the game, you wouldn't want anything like this to be played. but formations like the split back, wildcat with casey, flea flickers, and more reverse plays would be nice. i personally feel that the overall problem with kubs is his adjustments (or lacktherof).

ObsiWan 01-04-2013 07:26 AM

Last time we went "off script" was that Chris Brown halfback pass.
Umm.... no more of that thank you.

PapaL 01-04-2013 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ObsiWan (Post 2096139)

2 day ban for the OP.
1 day ban for you bringing that up.
Just when I had forgotten about it.
"/

legacy_gt 01-04-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ObsiWan (Post 2096139)

the point is to make something like a split back formation "on script," something that would be used always in their playbook. texans try and make the formation the same looking and to fool other teams.

i'm getting sick of teams stacking the box and stopping our run, which shuts down our play action and makes schaub try to beat the other team.