Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mock Draft Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   New Mock with a QB to develop (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97468)

Rey 01-02-2013 04:25 PM

New Mock with a QB to develop

1) Dion Jordan, OLB

2) Kyle Long, OT

3) Zac Dysert, QB

3) Daniel McCullers, NT

4) DJ Swearinger, FS

5) Kenjon Barner, RB

5) Johnny Adams, CB

6) Manase Foketi, OT/OG

7) Zach Zudfeld, TE

Rey 01-02-2013 04:25 PM

Re: New Mock with a QB to develop

Reserved

badboy 01-02-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rey (Post 2095130)
1) Dion Jordan, OLB

2) Kyle Long, OT

3) Zac Dysert, QB

3) Daniel McCullers, NT

4) DJ Swearinger, FS

5) Kenjon Barner, RB

5) Johnny Adams, CB

6) Manase Foketi, OT/OG

7) Zach Zudfeld, TE

I'd jump at this one. Dysert prolly gone but if there would be good selection. Swearinger looked good recently. McCullers would need to drop signifcantly imo as did Brooks across th eline but he cannot be worse than Cody. I'd start Mitchell and get Mc in as much as possible. You don't have a WR but I have argued we may go with what we have. I just don't get the fascination with Long other than bloodlines.

Wolf6151 01-03-2013 03:30 AM

I like Jordan and Long, tons of athletic potential but might take a year to polish up their game. I don't know anything about Dysert, haven't been researching QB's. I don't like McCullers, to tall for NT where getting low for leverage is key. Swearinger, should add some good depth/competition. I haven't researched RB's either so don't know anything about Barner either. I love the Adams pick but it might take some luck in the 5th. He's got a good skill set and speed to add some quality depth to the CB corp.. Not familiar with Foketi or Zudfeld but I like the positions chosen.

Honoring Earl 34 01-07-2013 09:54 PM

Not that it matters but Dion Jordan and his buddies were siphoning gas with a vacuum cleaner in high school and he snapped that this wasn't the brightest thing to do . He ran into his garage and pulled the plug which ignited the fumes . He was burnt pretty bad and missed the last 5 games of high school . Oregon still honored his scholarship and the rest is history .

badboy 01-08-2013 10:55 AM

I have began to back away from Jordan especially after his last game and Rey no ILB?

Rey 01-08-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 2100723)
I have began to back away from Jordan especially after his last game and Rey no ILB?

Not a fan of the ILB's in this draft. I think this is a weak class for ILB. I'd rather go the FA route or trade for a guy under a reasonable contract.

Bart Scott will probably be released this off season. Mauluga might be available. Both of those guys would be talent upgrades IMO and wouldn't need to be every down players.

BUT.....when all compensatory picks are announced I will probably add an ILB somewhere in my mocks...

kiwitexansfan 01-08-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rey (Post 2100740)
Not a fan of the ILB's in this draft. I think this is a weak class for ILB. I'd rather go the FA route or trade for a guy under a reasonable contract.

Bart Scott will probably be released this off season. Mauluga might be available. Both of those guys would be talent upgrades IMO and wouldn't need to be every down players.

BUT.....when all compensatory picks are announced I will probably add an ILB somewhere in my mocks...

Bart Scott is not Texans material. Maulaga would be a nice get though.

mussop 01-09-2013 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan (Post 2100759)
Bart Scott is not Texans material. Maulaga would be a nice get though.

Did.you not watch the last game? Mauluga is no better than Brady James. Probably even worse in coverage.

Rey 01-09-2013 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mussop (Post 2101187)
Did.you not watch the last game? Mauluga is no better than Brady James. Probably even worse in coverage.

Bradie was thought to be terrible in Dallas too. Rudd was out of a job.

I think mauluga has more ability than both of them. I think in this defense he'd get good coaching and be put in a better position to succeed. In our defense he wouldn't be the only MLB. His responsibilities would be different. We wouldn't have him playing man over te's.

Mauluga is not great in coverage, but his run defense is pretty good.

Not many mlb's can hold Arian or od one on one.

thunderkyss 01-09-2013 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rey (Post 2095130)
3) Zac Dysert, QB

No. no, no , no, no, he77 no.

& I'll tell you why. It's actually the same for all your picks except Kyle Long & Johnny Adams.

We have too much trouble already with Walter(s) & Daniels. We don't need any Zac without a K, or Fikuta's, or Dions (i instead of e) that's bull crap. We need Jack Smiths & Ron Joneses.

thunderkyss 01-09-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rey (Post 2101243)
Mauluga is not great in coverage, but his run defense is pretty good.

We need to get away from ILBs with this type of description. This is the biggest problem with our ILBs.... other than Bradie James being Bradie James.

This can be said for all our ILBs going back to Demeco.

aussie_texan 01-09-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiddler (Post 2101273)
We need to get away from ILBs with this type of description. This is the biggest problem with our ILBs.... other than Bradie James being Bradie James.

you must remember though that in passing situations we only play 1 MLB and put in an extra safety or CB

mussop 01-09-2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aussie_texan (Post 2101746)
you must remember though that in passing situations we only play 1 MLB and put in an extra safety or CB

So let teams exploit him on first and second down then take him out? Don't you think wade would rather have his base defense in no matter what the situation is if he had the personnel to do it.

mussop 01-09-2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Exactly!

Rey 01-09-2013 11:21 PM

Quote:

No we don't.

We need lb's with talent and ability. Bradie. James is not a real good player. He's below average. Same thing for the rest of the bunch.

Odds are you're not going to find a player that is great against the run and pass and can blitz. If yoy find a guy like that he'd be Brian Cushing.

We need to upgrade the talent level and as far as I'm concerned mauluga fits that bill. He's a better player than every MLB we have on the roster not named Cushing. And while he may not be the best in coverage, this scheme will put him in position to succeed.

How many mlb's can check Arian or od 1 on 1?

Don't let their stupid defensive coordinator cloud your judgement. We don't ask our guys to do that.

aussie_texan 01-09-2013 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rey (Post 2101873)
No we don't.

We need lb's with talent and ability. Bradie. James is not a real good player. He's below average. Same thing for the rest of the bunch.

Odds are you're not going to find a player that is great against the run and pass and can blitz. If yoy find a guy like that he'd be Brian Cushing.

We need to upgrade the talent level and as far as I'm concerned mauluga fits that bill. He's a better player than every MLB we have on the roster not named Cushing. And while he may not be the best in coverage, this scheme will put him in position to succeed.

Don't let their stupid defensive coordinator cloud your judgement. We don't ask our guys to do that.

yeah have to agree

mussop 01-10-2013 03:34 AM

Quote:

No we don't.

Seriously? Their stupid defensive coordinator? They have one of the best defenses in the NFL. the reason we don't ask our guys to do that is be wise none of them can. Don't you think wade would if he could?

thunderkyss 01-10-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

However many of them there are, Maualuga isn't one of them. OD & Arian had career days against him.

I liked Maualuga coming out of USC, he's the one I wanted at the time. But right now, sorry... don't see him as an upgrade over Dobbins much less Sharpton & he's definitely no replacement for DeMeco.

Sorry, just not seeing it.

We need to upgrade the talent, we need to get more athletic at the position, we need someone who is "great" in coverage.. Cushing is not. He's pretty good, but not "great"

We need a bigger Glover Quin for our next ILB.

Fili 01-15-2013 06:02 PM

If Dysert is still there 3rd round, I would take it.
1. He's confident in the pocket, but sometimes he's a little too dependent on the O-line.
2. Good mobility and can extend the play if necessary.
3. Pretends he's a runningback sometimes, and takes too many hits when he runs the ball. He just needs to slide more often.
4. Puts the ball away from the defender on short passes.
5. He likes big bodied receivers so I could see him hitting Graham a lot.

I think he needs a lot of work in the NFL though. Could be starter in a couple years.