Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The National Football League (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Philip Rivers anyone? (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97385)

TexansBull 12-31-2012 12:25 AM

Philip Rivers anyone?

That seems to be the only QB besides Vick that could be available for next year. It seems San Diego is ready to start over. I was looking at the contract status for Rivers vs Schaub.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-diego...philip-rivers/

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/matt-schaub/

He is more expensive than Schaub, and it appears that Schaub's contact is more friendly dollar wise for the next two years. Given that would you want to trade for a 31 year old QB that is more mobile and has a better arm than than current 31 year old QB? Or do you suck it up for the next two years and hope to draft or trade for a QB? I don't see how it makes sense to pay Schaub $17million in 2015 if those numbers are right.

To me, IMHO, could have some left in the tank and a change could do him good. He seems to have more of leadership quality than Schaub but more of a douche attitude at times like Cutler. I would do a 2013 2nd round and 2014 2nd round and rework his contract for the rest of his 3 years, maybe extend to 4 years. Probably wouldn't happen, but I would try it. But then again, maybe that is why I am not a GM.

What do yall think? Would you try to go after Rivers?

Premier 12-31-2012 12:28 AM

Re: Philip Rivers anyone?

been bringing up rivers name in every post about getting a new qb.

midway 12-31-2012 12:31 AM

I'd do it, I don't even care that he's a worthless human being.

Khari 12-31-2012 12:33 AM

Nooooooo...:cry2:

MistaRed 12-31-2012 12:38 AM

I'd be okay with it. He doesn't play scared.

mariowillshine15 12-31-2012 12:48 AM

Yes please. His team fell apart around him due to a crappy GM and he's a fiery guy who could light a fire under our guys when needed.

stingray 12-31-2012 01:08 AM

No way in hell the chargers get rid of rivers. No coach with any credentials like a cowher or gruden will come into a situation not knowing who their qb is. I think most coaches would agree that rivers is a top talent and can be a top 5 qb if he is on his game.

AndyWin 12-31-2012 01:12 AM

Won't happen but I would accept this with open arms. Rivers at least plays with emotion, passion, and has a sense of leadership

deucetx 12-31-2012 01:24 AM

Highly doubtful Rivers goes anywhere. He had little in the way of weapons this season and still was decent out there. He is the one thing that could lure a prime coaching candidate to that job so getting rid of him would be a heavy risk.

Norg 12-31-2012 02:00 AM

i would say yes cause i like Phill but my head says lets spend the money else were and just stick wit schaub if he plays bad next year just start yates but i do agree

we do need to find a young new QB and maybe a vet stop gap QB

ObsiWan 12-31-2012 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stingray (Post 2093332)
No way in hell the chargers get rid of rivers. No coach with any credentials like a cowher or gruden will come into a situation not knowing who their qb is. I think most coaches would agree that rivers is a top talent and can be a top 5 qb if he is on his game.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deucetx (Post 2093338)
Highly doubtful Rivers goes anywhere. He had little in the way of weapons this season and still was decent out there. He is the one thing that could lure a prime coaching candidate to that job so getting rid of him would be a heavy risk.

They pretty much summed up how I feel. Rivers is the main drawing card to get a quality replacement coach for Norv T.

Since Rivers is still under contract, that means a trade would have to be worked. What would we have to give up to get him?? A 1st and several 2nds? Multiple 1st rounders?? This would smack of a desperation move so the SD GM would be bargaining from a position of strength. I understand wanting to make a move, but finding someone in the draft would be more sensible and less costly.

Trap_Star 12-31-2012 02:21 AM

rivers may be the only QB with a weaker arm than schaub in the league.

TheMatrix31 12-31-2012 02:43 AM

Good God. No way.

ObsiWan 12-31-2012 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 (Post 2093387)
Good God. No way.

Why not?

...other than we'd have to sell the farm to get him...

Do you think Rivers would have underthrown Casey like Schaub did?

TheMatrix31 12-31-2012 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ObsiWan (Post 2093388)
Why not?

...other than we'd have to sell the farm to get him...

Do you think Rivers would have underthrown Casey like Schaub did?

I don't think he is very good and I cannot STAND him at all attitude/personally. Makes very poor decisions with the ball extremely often. Romo-esque. You might say "Schaub-esque" too, but Rivers is definitely more high-risk, Favre-like. He might be able to make the throws, but he makes way more bad throws than Schaub does. And this is from me, the originator of "Schaub's ****ty Throw of the Game (tm)"

Norg 12-31-2012 02:58 AM

Tim Tebow anybody ...????/ LOL

i tell u this our run game will deff get better

TexansFight 12-31-2012 03:59 AM

Philip Rivers has big time leadership skills, courage, and tenacity needed to be a big time NFL QB. A few years back he was in the elite class of QBs according to most NFL analysts. Rivers has the talent and personality to hold his own in a duel against another elite QB. Schaub doesn't. He played in the AFC Championship Game with basically 1 leg. I think he tore his ACL and STILL gutted it out. What I remember is how he played the entire game and LT who was also less severely injured did not take 1 snap in the game that gets you to the Super Bowl.

Unfortunately, we have an extremely stubborn coach and while dumping Schaub for Rivers is justified an any football metric, Kubiak will close his ears and shout "I'm not listening". We should have went after Peyton Manning but didn't because of Kubiak

Goatcheese 12-31-2012 04:51 AM

Schaub is a better QB than Rivers.

They have the same weaknesses but Schaub is the better decision maker and student of the game.

He also has the superior crazy face:

http://uglyfours.com/storage/matt-sc...=1290613729081

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_dC0IVuO0vH...ip+Rivers1.jpg

:hurrah:

mussop 12-31-2012 07:19 AM

If you don't have an elite QB (and we don't by any means) and you have the opportunity to improve the position you do it so long as the asking price matches the quality of QB you are getting.

Something :kubepalm: wont figure out until he is unemployed.

Uncle Rico 12-31-2012 09:38 AM

Mike Vick - 1
Tony Romo - 2
Tj Yates - 3

Rivers is a lateral move to Shaub