Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mock Draft Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Safety (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97351)

powda 12-30-2012 03:46 PM

Safety

If wade phillips is here and we're going to play 30-40 3 safety sets per game maybe its time to invest in another safety. Demps is marginal at best. 2-4th round maybe?

TimeKiller 12-30-2012 04:46 PM

Re: Safety

I've definitely said as much. I proposed Eric Reid in the 1st, I think he'd fit right in and boost the 2ndary.

beerlover 12-31-2012 08:22 AM

Quin is a free agent, as much as I like him, he is limited. If Texans spend a first expect him to have walked. I prefer Texas SS Kenny Vaccaro.

WolverineFan 12-31-2012 06:39 PM

Give me Matt Elam from Florida. One of the few big hitting ball hawks out there.

TimeKiller 12-31-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolverineFan (Post 2094062)
Give me Matt Elam from Florida. One of the few big hitting ball hawks out there.

I'd be good with a Muschamp product. That D played with some huevos.

76Texan 01-17-2013 03:36 PM

Read some good things out of the Shrine Game Practices about Cooper Taylor (Richmond and Ga Tech), 6'4 228 lbs with good speed for his size and Zeke Motta (sp?) from Notre Dame.

Where do you guys think they will get drafted?

Think I'm gonna watch the game tonight.

badboy 01-17-2013 04:01 PM

If you are going first round for safety how about Xavier Rhodes or Amerson who could be there in second?

Playoffs 01-17-2013 04:05 PM

Maybe even 1st if the talent shakes out that way?

76Texan 01-17-2013 04:12 PM

I think we resign Quin so I'm just looking for a lower round guy with a certain upside.

76Texan 01-17-2013 04:29 PM

A little something on Cooper Taylor from the Bengals Board

He originally played at Georgia Tech.In 2009 he was sent to the hospital where he was diagnosed with Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome. Immediate surgery fixed the problem, but he sat out the remainder of the season with a medical red shirt status.By the next year GT's secondary had plenty of talent so he transferred to Richmond.

Taking over the strong safety job, Taylor once again shined. In eight starts, he recorded 63 tackles, a forced fumble and an interception. His intelligence and ability to make hard open field tackles earned him some extra playing time in the defense's bandit hybrid safety/linebacker.

This season, Taylor established himself as one of the CAA's premier players, and as one of the top strong safeties in the NFL Draft. He's a two-time CAA Player of the Week, and he's putting together his best performance lately, collecting 13 tackles, a forced fumble and two QB hurries in a 39-0 route of Rhode Island last week.

Through eight starts, Taylor's racked up 63 total tackles, three tackles for loss and two forced fumbles. In coverage he's having his finest overall season, totalling five pass break-ups and three interceptions—one returned or a touchdown.

Draft Report

Taylor isn't built like a prototypical coverage NFL safety. He's long and strong (6'4", 228 lbs) and lacks the fluidity and body control to be an every down defensive back in the pros.

Despite his size, he has explosive speed, running 40-yard dashes as low at 4.47. He's stiff in the hips, but his nose for the ball and ability to read the play makes him effective in zone coverage. Taylor also moves well laterally, overcoming his height by maintaining a low center of gravity close to the line. He's an aggressive tackler, with the feet and technique to cover shiftier running backs and speedier slot receivers.

Where Cooper makes his money is his combination of size, speed and football acumen. He's a fierce hitter with a fearless playing style. A monster in the box, he loves to blow up running backs, and his above average wheels make him a top-shelf blitzer. Blessed with great hands, his motor and extra length helps him shed blockers and get to the ball.

More update for the whole 10-game season:
http://www.fieldgulls.com/nfl-draft/...and-david-bass

Some video cut ups:

He wears #22 at Ga Tech (Yellow Jackets)
This game was against Florida ST. I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keDMX76oW1Q

He wears #1 for the Richmond Spiders

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3S8NeuLknM

Corrosion 01-17-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powda (Post 2092362)
If wade phillips is here and we're going to play 30-40 3 safety sets per game maybe its time to invest in another safety. Demps is marginal at best. 2-4th round maybe?

Ive been thinking about that a bit myself. I think you keep Quin and invest a high pick on the position. I said in another thread that in Wades defense that 3rd safety is very important .... Looks like Im not the only one who believes that to be the case.

I dont have any particular players targeted at the position yet .... but in my next round of evaluations , the S spot will be one of the top priorities.

Wolf6151 01-17-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 2111412)
If you are going first round for safety how about Xavier Rhodes or Amerson who could be there in second?

Bingo.... I don't like the idea of going Safety early, but if we do it had better be someone with coverage skills and both of these CB's will probably become a FS in the NFL.

Scooter 01-17-2013 05:47 PM

we play the 3rd safety because we dont have any options at linebacker. fix the problem of not having a linebacker with any coverage skills and it frees up our secondary. it also eliminates most of the ugly run blitz we see all game from players waiting to react to what their assignment does - since another linebacker taking keys frees up the line to attack without having to protect the secondary from spread runs.

76Texan 01-17-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooter (Post 2111470)
we play the 3rd safety because we dont have any options at linebacker. fix the problem of not having a linebacker with any coverage skills and it frees up our secondary. it also eliminates most of the ugly run blitz we see all game from players waiting to react to what their assignment does - since another linebacker taking keys frees up the line to attack without having to protect the secondary from spread runs.

That's the reason I wanted to take a look at big guys like Cooper.
He's as close to a hybrid safety/LB as you can get.

Corrosion 01-17-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf6151 (Post 2111464)
Bingo.... I don't like the idea of going Safety early, but if we do it had better be someone with coverage skills and both of these CB's will probably become a FS in the NFL.

I really considered Amerson in my last mock as a CB. I think he'd be the ideal guy in this draft to play that 3rd safety spot with Quinn and Manning.

He might last to the second round , but I seriously doubt he falls all the way to the tail end of the round. Might have to move up to get him .... and Im not sure I'd be willing to give up picks to do that as there are so many needs to fill. Maybe after FA I'd be more willing to make a move up.

Quote:

Not necessarily true , even when Cushing was healthy they went with only one LBer as Barwin and Reed were essentially DE's and the ILB opposite Cushing was replaced by a DB.

76Texan 01-17-2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrosion (Post 2111475)
I really considered Amerson in my last mock as a CB. I think he'd be the ideal guy in this draft to play that 3rd safety spot with Quinn and Manning.

He might last to the second round , but I seriously doubt he falls all the way to the tail end of the round. Might have to move up to get him .... and Im not sure I'd be willing to give up picks to do that as there are so many needs to fill. Maybe after FA I'd be more willing to make a move up.

Not necessarily true , even when Cushing was healthy they went with only one LBer as Barwin and Reed were essentially DE's and the ILB opposite Cushing was replaced by a DB.

That's when I want the big safety to come in, when we go to our dime package.
Let Quin go back to play safety; this big guy can play the run better and he can cover a back better than the normal LB, and he also matches up with a second TE better than a small safety.

76Texan 01-17-2013 06:08 PM

Last year, I suggested Andrew Rich as a late rounder (6th or 7th).
He was 6'3-220 and played safety at BYU where they often put him on the TE and bring in another safety just like we do.

He went undrafted but was called by 3 different teams.
I read that he was seriously considered for a roster spot on the Cardinals team; he was constantly running with the second team even though his leg injury wasn't quite healed yet.

But finally he decided not to play football to devote more time to his family (he's a Mormon.)
His newborn son was diagnosed with a heart disease.

thunderkyss 01-17-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

I thought the same as well, but after thinking about it, with TEs like Gronk, Hernandez, Grahams, Finely, Gresham.. I like having a biggish safety covering. I'd actually like to make Routte a safety if we resign him.

76Texan 01-17-2013 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 2111412)

How is Amerson in the tackling department?
Is he physical ? Does he deliver big hits ?

But if we resign Quin, taking a safety in the first two rounds may not be ideal when he doesn't play much and we still have other holes to fill ???

Unless a really good one is available that we simply can't resist, that is.

steelbtexan 01-17-2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 76Texan (Post 2111395)
Read some good things out of the Shrine Game Practices about Cooper Taylor (Richmond and Ga Tech), 6'4 228 lbs with good speed for his size and Zeke Motta (sp?) from Notre Dame.

Where do you guys think they will get drafted?

Think I'm gonna watch the game tonight.

Great prospect,

I've got him ranked in the early/mid 3rd. You?

What time/channel is the game on?