Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mock Draft Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Connor Barwin and the 2013 draft (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97305)

otisbean 12-29-2012 05:35 AM

Connor Barwin and the 2013 draft
 
I'd like to get some thoughts regarding Barwin. I really like the guy and would like to see him remain a Texan, BUT I'm not happy with his performance this season at OLB. The WOLB is supposed to get sacks, and I believe at this point Barwin has 3.... I'm wondering how Barwin would do at ILB next to Cushing. He's athletic enough to play in space, remember he started as a TE and he was a college basketball player, in fact his combine numbers are very similar to Cush's

Barwin
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...009&genpos=OLB

Cush
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...009&genpos=olb

The reason I have this in the draft section is simple, we've had less than stellar play from our LBs this year and I believe this must addressed early in the draft or through FA (which is typically expensive).
The 2 areas I'd love to improve on the Texans are the OL and the pass rush. I feel like our DL is quite good, though I would like an upgrade at NT like most here. I'd like to grab a pass rusher early (Ansah perhaps) and move Barwin inside. Ansah, Barwin, Cush, and Reed with Merciless in the mix along with Watt and Smith would be quite scary in terms of pressure on opposing QBs. Barwin and Cush coming on inside blitzes would be awesome. I'm also very intrigued by Ansah and would love to see him in a Texans uniform as a WOLB

If we resign Barwin and keep him outside then I'd like to look at either Olgetree
or Minter as an ILB upgrade. I like Dobbins as depth and I'd let James walk

For OL, I think I'd like to sign some veteran help, we have a bunch on young guys that have some talent so adding more youth may not be the answer. Signing a vet or 2 and letting the young guys learn a grow a bit would work well in my opinion. Just some thoughts

beerlover 12-29-2012 01:12 PM

Re: Connor Barwin and the 2013 draft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by otisbean (Post 2089965)
I'd like to get some thoughts regarding Barwin. I really like the guy and would like to see him remain a Texan, BUT I'm not happy with his performance this season at OLB. The WOLB is supposed to get sacks, and I believe at this point Barwin has 3.... I'm wondering how Barwin would do at ILB next to Cushing. He's athletic enough to play in space, remember he started as a TE and he was a college basketball player, in fact his combine numbers are very similar to Cush's

Barwin
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...009&genpos=OLB

Cush
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...009&genpos=olb

The reason I have this in the draft section is simple, we've had less than stellar play from our LBs this year and I believe this must addressed early in the draft or through FA (which is typically expensive).
The 2 areas I'd love to improve on the Texans are the OL and the pass rush. I feel like our DL is quite good, though I would like an upgrade at NT like most here. I'd like to grab a pass rusher early (Ansah perhaps) and move Barwin inside. Ansah, Barwin, Cush, and Reed with Merciless in the mix along with Watt and Smith would be quite scary in terms of pressure on opposing QBs. Barwin and Cush coming on inside blitzes would be awesome. I'm also very intrigued by Ansah and would love to see him in a Texans uniform as a WOLB

If we resign Barwin and keep him outside then I'd like to look at either Olgetree
or Minter as an ILB upgrade. I like Dobbins as depth and I'd let James walk

For OL, I think I'd like to sign some veteran help, we have a bunch on young guys that have some talent so adding more youth may not be the answer. Signing a vet or 2 and letting the young guys learn a grow a bit would work well in my opinion. Just some thoughts

There is a silver lining, Texans will retain Barwin to a very reasonable long term deal.

steelbtexan 12-29-2012 01:22 PM

Re: Connor Barwin and the 2013 draft
 
Have you seen the offense the last 3 games?

It's time to fix the offense.

Re-signing Barwin is a good thing, re-signing Quin is more important. IMHO

TEXANRED 12-29-2012 02:37 PM

Re: Connor Barwin and the 2013 draft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by steelbtexan (Post 2090079)
Have you seen the offense the last 3 games?

It's time to fix the offense.

Re-signing Barwin is a good thing, re-signing Quin is more important. IMHO

Yup. Priority should be RT, RG, WR, in that order.

Mr teX 12-29-2012 03:21 PM

Re: Connor Barwin and the 2013 draft
 
I agree...the o-line has to be priority for 2013...olb needs to be addressed, just later

otisbean 12-29-2012 03:28 PM

Re: Connor Barwin and the 2013 draft
 
I do want to address the Offense, just through FA. Brooks, Jones, and Newton have some talent, just need to mature abit, I'm NOT saying I wouldn't want to upgrade, I would just like to add a vet or 2. Levitre from Buffalo would look great in a Texan uniform for example. I think we are finally at a point where we are a very attractive FA destination.

I've also seen some talent from Posey I'd like to see what he can do and I'd like to add a veteran WR as well.

Our sack production from our LBs has been poor this year and once Cush went down our ILB have been less than stellar.

steelbtexan 12-29-2012 03:36 PM

Re: Connor Barwin and the 2013 draft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by otisbean (Post 2090109)
I do want to address the Offense, just through FA. Brooks, Jones, and Newton have some talent, just need to mature abit, I'm NOT saying I wouldn't want to upgrade, I would just like to add a vet or 2. Levitre from Buffalo would look great in a Texan uniform for example. I think we are finally at a point where we are a very attractive FA destination.

I've also seen some talent from Posey I'd like to see what he can do and I'd like to add a veteran WR as well.

Our sack production from our LBs has been poor this year and once Cush went down our ILB have been less than stellar.

Probably wont have cap room.

Dutch is the resident cap guy, maybe he will give his thoughts.

Goldensilence 12-29-2012 04:17 PM

Re: Connor Barwin and the 2013 draft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by steelbtexan (Post 2090079)
Have you seen the offense the last 3 games?

It's time to fix the offense.

Re-signing Barwin is a good thing, re-signing Quin is more important. IMHO


This. I like Barwin and the motor he brings. I think this year his lack of sack production is attributed partially to just the dominant play of Watt and different responsibilities because of how great Watt is atm.

I think we can now resign Barwin on the cheap, but getting Quinn re-resigned or addressing FS is going to be much more important.

Corrosion 12-29-2012 04:46 PM

Re: Connor Barwin and the 2013 draft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TEXANRED (Post 2090097)
Yup. Priority should be RT, RG, WR, in that order.

To be honest , I think Wade Smith at LG has been just as bad if not worse than Jones or Newton.

My #2 pick in my first mock was a guy who could play multiple positions along the right side. (Kyle Long). RG & RT.

I dont think the Texans can afford to go with more than one rookie on the OL next season. I wouldnt mind multiple upgrades but if thats the case , I want a veteran upgrade along with that draft pick.


We probably need a comprehensive list of potential FA's in the coming offseason ....

Corrosion 12-29-2012 04:53 PM

Re: Connor Barwin and the 2013 draft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldensilence (Post 2090121)
This. I like Barwin and the motor he brings. I think this year his lack of sack production is attributed partially to just the dominant play of Watt and different responsibilities because of how great Watt is atm.

I think we can now resign Barwin on the cheap, but getting Quinn re-resigned or addressing FS is going to be much more important.

Quin would be my top priority in this crop of FA's .... without a doubt. Especially considering that Demps and Keo are also FA's leaving only Manning at either S spot under contract.


Wade has used Barwin quite differently this year , especially late in the season , notice how often he's dropped back in coverage ?!
He's also been solid setting the edge against the run .... Just not a lot of numbers to show for his efforts.

I dont think keeping Bawrin is imperative .... I could see a case for keeping him or letting him walk and would be Ok either way. Bottom line it will boil down to $$$.

Rey 12-29-2012 04:56 PM

Re: Connor Barwin and the 2013 draft
 
Man, Barwin and Reed would both be ok to good SOLBs....

Neither have shown the ability to be what I think we need out of a WOLB. I personally am not a big Merciless guy, but he has more quickness in short area than both of them.

But we need someone from that WOLB position that is going to constantly on QB's heels. He has to stress the OT out almost every single snap. Speed around the edge or a mixture of speed and power...whatever...Doesn't matter...but this defense would look much, much better IMO with that guy at the WOLB position...And that guy is not Reed or Barwin...

For all the flack Mario got when he was here, he was that guy. Fukin impossible to block with RB's and TE's in this scheme and when he was matched up against OT's he put stress in their life.

We don't have to have a guy exactly like Mario, but we need a demon over there. This was part of the reason I was so high on Bruce Irvin last year, and it's part of the reason why I'm a big fan of taking Dion Jordan in this upcoming draft and seeing what Braman and Merciless can bring in a legit competition for playing time.



As far as Barwin's future, I'd let him walk unless he is going to sign for a ridiculous amount. I don't like him as a weakside OLB and the difference between him and Reed on the Strong side is not such a huge gap to where I think we have to have him.

Let him walk and draft another OLB or two.

Corrosion 12-29-2012 04:57 PM

Re: Connor Barwin and the 2013 draft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by steelbtexan (Post 2090111)
Probably wont have cap room.

Dutch is the resident cap guy, maybe he will give his thoughts.

Looking at who the Texans could possibly lose in FA , only one guy is due a significant increase (Quin) .... They wont be able to go out and sign a big name , but they could get a solid mid-level contract guy and still fill out the roster with quality players.

Rey 12-29-2012 04:58 PM

Re: Connor Barwin and the 2013 draft
 
I'd re-sign Quinn, but I'd also draft a young safety as well. Need to have another good player back there learning. Quinn has his deficiencies, but he is solid overall. Not going ot do a whole lot of crazy ****.

badboy 12-29-2012 07:34 PM

Re: Connor Barwin and the 2013 draft
 
Bye Bye Barwin

TimeKiller 12-29-2012 07:50 PM

Re: Connor Barwin and the 2013 draft
 
I guess it depends on what kind of contract he asks for. What happened to this guy? I could definitely envision them letting Barwin walk and picking up the best pass rusher available in the first.

otisbean 12-29-2012 08:02 PM

Re: Connor Barwin and the 2013 draft
 
I think resigning Quin is a no brainer

badboy 12-29-2012 08:05 PM

Re: Connor Barwin and the 2013 draft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by otisbean (Post 2090179)
I think resigning Quin is a no brainer

Well Quin may have something to say about it.

beerlover 12-29-2012 10:12 PM

Re: Connor Barwin and the 2013 draft
 
Barwin is a solid starter playing a premium position. Quin is a solid starter who had to switch from premium position.

steelbtexan 12-29-2012 11:37 PM

Re: Connor Barwin and the 2013 draft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrosion (Post 2090132)
Looking at who the Texans could possibly lose in FA , only one guy is due a significant increase (Quin) .... They wont be able to go out and sign a big name , but they could get a solid mid-level contract guy and still fill out the roster with quality players.

Good news,

Dont know what OG/OT's are available in FA, but if they can sign an above avg OG and draft somebody like Long in the 2nd rd. The OL would look much better. Then get AJ some help on the outside and I think Schaub, despite his limitations would look much better.

Wade Smith made the pro bowl and will probably be looking to get paid. I've got alot of faith in Brooks taking over for Smith.

Agree with you about Barwin, but he put on weight this offseason and it hurt his quickness, if he gets back to last yrs playing weight he can become a double digit sack guy again. He's a hard worker so I wouldn't bet against him. Like you said it will all come down to the $$$$ with Barwin.

I know that the Texans could use a NT and a ILB and they should use later rd picks on those guys. Knott/A.J. Klein could be drafted later. But my philosophy is because teams play about 60% nickle defense now building the secondary should be a priority. Demps is a weakness and if he's re-signed for vet min to be a 4th S/ST's guy that would be OK.

The fastest way to upgrade the defense would be to re-sign Quin and to spend the 3rd rd comp pick on a S like Duke Williams, he can cover the slot WR/TE as well as play on the back end. This would also free up the Quin. I'm not advocating Williams although I like him alot. Just giving a philosophy on how to improve the Texans defense quickly.

Corrosion 12-30-2012 01:56 AM

Re: Connor Barwin and the 2013 draft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by steelbtexan (Post 2090240)
Good news,

Dont know what OG/OT's are available in FA, but if they can sign an above avg OG and draft somebody like Long in the 2nd rd. The OL would look much better. Then get AJ some help on the outside and I think Schaub, despite his limitations would look much better.

Wade Smith made the pro bowl and will probably be looking to get paid. I've got alot of faith in Brooks taking over for Smith.

I think Smith has one more year on his deal.

Despite his making the ProBowl .... I think he's had a mediocre year at best .... especially this last 3 weeks.




Quote:

Agree with you about Barwin, but he put on weight this offseason and it hurt his quickness, if he gets back to last yrs playing weight he can become a double digit sack guy again. He's a hard worker so I wouldn't bet against him. Like you said it will all come down to the $$$$ with Barwin.

I know that the Texans could use a NT and a ILB and they should use later rd picks on those guys. Knott/A.J. Klein could be drafted later. But my philosophy is because teams play about 60% nickle defense now building the secondary should be a priority. Demps is a weakness and if he's re-signed for vet min to be a 4th S/ST's guy that would be OK.

The fastest way to upgrade the defense would be to re-sign Quin and to spend the 3rd rd comp pick on a S like Duke Williams, he can cover the slot WR/TE as well as play on the back end. This would also free up the Quin. I'm not advocating Williams although I like him alot. Just giving a philosophy on how to improve the Texans defense quickly.
You saw my draft board .... I dont have a DT until the mid rounds.

The thinking behind that is the potential of losing McCain , Ball , Demps , Keo and Quin - All contributors , All FA's after the season.

Sure , I'd love to have a stud DT that would play 3 downs .... but dont see it in the cards , just too many holes to fill which is kinda odd to state when you are talking about a 12-3 team.

The offense definately needs help as its been anemic for the last month.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger