Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mock Draft Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Brandon Williams NT (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97304)

76Texan 12-28-2012 11:53 PM

Brandon Williams NT
 
Just a heads-up.
His stock is rising, currently 8th DT on NFLDraftScout.com (ie., probably 2nd-3rd round).

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2013&genpos=DT

Brandon Williams (6-3, 325) becomes the first NCAA Division II player for the 2013 Senior Bowl.

Williams was the 2012 Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletic Association (Div II) Defensive Player of the Year. He made 68 tackles (6 plus tackles per game is a lot for an interior lineman,) including 16.5 for loss, with 8.5 sacks this season. He also recorded a safety and caused five fumbles. (Williams also had 2 Pass Break Ups and 8 QB Hurries - in 11 games.)

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2..._join_sen.html

Williams is a three-time Div II All-American.
He will train for the NFL draft in Houston.

I can't find his individual highlights.
You can find a glimpse of him in action here (but the video quality is not all that good.) He wears #66.

http://www.hudl.com/team/44117

Note: He can play anywhere from 0 to 5-tech.

Wolf6151 12-29-2012 03:06 AM

Re: Brandon Williams NT
 
I've watched some YouTube video on him and think that he has potential to be good, but that it will take a year or so sitting before he's worth putting on the field. One thing that bothered me in his videos, granted it's a small sampling, is that for an NFL prospect I'd expect him to dominate at the Div.2 level and he didn't. He did hold the LOS well, stood up to the double teams ok, and played the run well, but he seemed to lack the quickness and lateral agility that so many big men lack. I can see him as a 3rd-5th round pick and think he'd be a good pick for a team like New England where he could sit behind Wilfork and learn. If we had a better option at NT and could allow him time to grow and learn then he'd be worth a pick, but I think Cody is gone in FA and we'll need someone to step into the NT spot quickly. The Senior Bowl practices and game will be very important for B. Williams so that we can see how he performs against much better talent.

badboy 12-29-2012 08:07 PM

Re: Brandon Williams NT
 
Wolfe, read those stats again & explain why you do not think he dominated? Those are very good stats for a NT. What I expect from that position is a cone extending about an arm's length to each side and coming to a point at QB. I want him to hold up to at least two blockers and not get bowled over if a third hits him. Low center of gravity but more importantly solid anchor. I don't really care if he can chase a lay to the sideline; that's what we have LBs & safeties for. lol In fact, probably be better if the NT did not pursue and keep himself on field longer. Not talking about chasing the QB. I still have him rated late 3rd but on my current mock 4th. I'm hopeful teams that need a NT will have drafted by time he comes up and he is ours. If Sylvester W. is there in second, I'd probably pull the trigger.

srrono 01-24-2013 01:03 PM

Re: Brandon Williams NT
 
Scott Wright ‏@DraftCountdown
Agreed! RT @smorton101368: Dude (Missouri Southern DT Brandon Williams) looks like Bane on Venom


Scott Wright ‏@DraftCountdown
UConn's Sio Moore on the freakish physique of Missouri Southern DT Brandon Williams: "Can you believe that's a human?".
Kid is huge and fast would fit here amazing size projected as a 3rd to 5th rounder
2012
11 games
68 tackles
8.5 sacks
16.5 tackles for loss

Wolf6151 01-24-2013 06:49 PM

Re: Brandon Williams NT
 
I just finished reading all the practice reports and Brandon Williams is really shining at the Senior Bowl. They've commented on his high motor/hustle a couple times and it's really good to hear that he has a high motor because so many big men don't. If he can keep up this effort through the Combine and maybe drop a few pounds to help his stamina then he might be worth that first 3rd round pick. This is good news.

76Texan 01-24-2013 09:23 PM

Re: Brandon Williams NT
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf6151 (Post 2115930)
I just finished reading all the practice reports and Brandon Williams is really shining at the Senior Bowl. They've commented on his high motor/hustle a couple times and it's really good to hear that he has a high motor because so many big men don't. If he can keep up this effort through the Combine and maybe drop a few pounds to help his stamina then he might be worth that first 3rd round pick. This is good news.

Yah, he does have a good motor for a big guy.

Wolf6151 01-25-2013 06:28 AM

Re: Brandon Williams NT
 
I'm going to assume Brandon gets a Combine invite, I can't wait to see his 40 time, 10 yrd. split, 3 cone drill, shuttle run, as well as his standing long jump and vertical. I want to see how he compares to others on agility and explosivness. I hope he working hard in preparation for the Combine.

Hagar 01-25-2013 07:04 AM

Re: Brandon Williams NT
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf6151 (Post 2115930)
I just finished reading all the practice reports and Brandon Williams is really shining at the Senior Bowl. They've commented on his high motor/hustle a couple times and it's really good to hear that he has a high motor because so many big men don't. If he can keep up this effort through the Combine and maybe drop a few pounds to help his stamina then he might be worth that first 3rd round pick. This is good news.

I went back and watched the Senior Bowl practices again looking for this kid and the reports are right, he looks good.

Williams looks kinda like a fire plug at 6'2" 241# but he has both power and quickness. According to DraftCountDown.com, he's "STOUT! Barrel-chested with some definition". In 1 on 1 drills on Tuesday, he won with brute power and on Wednesday he won using his speed and quickness.

badboy 01-25-2013 12:14 PM

Re: Brandon Williams NT
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hagar (Post 2116078)
I went back and watched the Senior Bowl practices again looking for this kid and the reports are right, he looks good.

Williams looks kinda like a fire plug at 6'2" 241# but he has both power and quickness. According to DraftCountDown.com, he's "STOUT! Barrel-chested with some definition". In 1 on 1 drills on Tuesday, he won with brute power and on Wednesday he won using his speed and quickness.

Measured at 6'3" 341 and I'd prefer to see him at 320-25. A side note is Sylvester Williams has dropped to 313.

IDEXAN 01-29-2013 08:32 AM

Re: Brandon Williams NT
 
If we don't improve our Draft position, we'd have to use our first-round pick to get him because our second-round pick (59th) would almost certainly be too late to get him.

greekdbag 01-29-2013 09:16 PM

Re: Brandon Williams NT
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by IDEXAN (Post 2117672)
If we don't improve our Draft position, we'd have to use our first-round pick to get him because our second-round pick (59th) would almost certainly be too late to get him.

Don't the Texans pick 57th in the 2nd round? Cleveland forfeited its 2nd round pick to take Josh Gordon in the 2nd round of the supplemental and New Orleans doesn't have a 2nd rounder due to the bounty scandal. Your point still stands, though.

badboy 01-30-2013 10:56 PM

Re: Brandon Williams NT
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by IDEXAN (Post 2117672)
If we don't improve our Draft position, we'd have to use our first-round pick to get him because our second-round pick (59th) would almost certainly be too late to get him.

I think it is going to depend on how he does in combine. He should be focusing on his weight lifting and 40time as we saw last combine.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger