Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The National Football League (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Football betting? (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96928)

thunderkyss 12-13-2012 03:15 PM

Football betting?
 
If I were to take the Texans to cover the 8 point spread, but the line moves & by Sunday it's a 8.5 point spread, do the Texans have to win by 8.5 for me to get my money, or am I "locked-in" at 8?

Now the question is really if I like a bet at a given spread, say 6 but it moves to say 12 and now I think it's a bad bet, am I stuck with it?

gtexan02 12-13-2012 03:19 PM

Re: Football betting?
 
Your bet is locked in when you place it

2012Champs 12-13-2012 03:42 PM

Re: Football betting?
 
Your line is your line at the time you place the bet and if it moves the wrong way you are sol



I wish you could trade bets like stock, take a side when you know its -10 and it will narrow to say -7 and you could trade out of it before the game

thunderkyss 12-13-2012 05:28 PM

Re: Football betting?
 
Ok, I've got two totally opposite answers.

does it depend on where I place my bet?

Exascor 12-13-2012 05:34 PM

Re: Football betting?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiddler (Post 2078465)
Ok, I've got two totally opposite answers.

does it depend on where I place my bet?

Actually they are the same. Once you place the bet, the line is locked at what it is at the time of the bet. No matter what the line changes to, you are locked in at what the line was when you place the bet.

The best bet is to not bet though...

brakos82 12-13-2012 06:16 PM

Re: Football betting?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Exascor (Post 2078471)
Actually they are the same. Once you place the bet, the line is locked at what it is at the time of the bet. No matter what the line changes to, you are locked in at what the line was when you place the bet.

The best bet is to not bet though...

...unless you're reffing that game. :kitten:

76Texan 12-13-2012 06:43 PM

Re: Football betting?
 
Just like any game of luck (and this is directing toward the younger people), don't bet on anything until you know at least all the simple things about betting on that particular game.

thunderkyss 12-13-2012 07:07 PM

Re: Football betting?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Exascor (Post 2078471)
Actually they are the same. Once you place the bet, the line is locked at what it is at the time of the bet. No matter what the line changes to, you are locked in at what the line was when you place the bet.

2012Champ said if the line moves the wrong way I'm s.o.l. what did he mean by that if I thought it was a good bet & it's locked in?

ChampionTexan 12-13-2012 07:10 PM

Re: Football betting?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiddler (Post 2078505)
2012Champ said if the line moves the wrong way I'm s.o.l. what did he mean by that if I thought it was a good bet & it's locked in?

He means that if you bet the underdog and get 8 points, and the line subsequently moves to 10, you're stuck with the 8 points and s.o.l. in regard to getting the larger point-spread.

thunderkyss 12-13-2012 07:14 PM

Re: Football betting?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChampionTexan (Post 2078506)
He means that if you bet the underdog and get 8 points, and the line subsequently moves to 10, you're stuck with the 8 points and s.o.l. in regard to getting the larger point-spread.

Makes perfect sense, thanks.

Speedy 12-13-2012 07:17 PM

Re: Football betting?
 
Yeah, once you place a bet, it's done and done. Whatever you placed the bet at is what it stays for you no matter where the line moves. If you placed the bet at -8 and it drops to -1 before kickoff, you're stuck with -8.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger