Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Did you know..... (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96910)

EllisUnit 12-12-2012 07:45 PM

Did you know.....
 
That our secondary has given up 24 passing TD's, and only 6 teams have given up more ???? I didnt realize it was THAT bad, problably Rogers and Brady's doing making it seem that bad minus Rogers 6 and bradys 4 it is only 14. SO all in all our secondary is good against mediocra QBs and one of the worst in the league against Elite guys. ***I also blame some of this on our lack of pass ru*****************

Just thought it was interesting.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...arrive/#8862-3

TheDream34 12-12-2012 08:24 PM

Re: Did you know.....
 
Look I am no football expert, but can anyone tell me why the secondary has been so bad this year. I mean its not like we don't have talent back there. Joseph and Jackson are solid starters and Manning/Quin are a solid safety tandem. Is it injuries or lack of pass rush because I just don't think they're that bad.

EllisUnit 12-12-2012 08:25 PM

Re: Did you know.....
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDream34 (Post 2077977)
Look I am no football expert, but can anyone tell me why the secondary has been so bad this year. I mean its not like we don't have talent back there. Joseph and Jackson are solid starters and Manning/Quin are a solid safety tandem. Is it injuries or lack of pass rush because I just don't think they're that bad.

I would have to say lack of pass rush, look at last season when we were killing QBs compared to this season.

gtexan02 12-12-2012 08:31 PM

Re: Did you know.....
 
Brady Henne and Stafford are probably at least half of that. It's a recent problem

Texan_Bill 12-12-2012 08:35 PM

Re: Did you know.....
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by EllisUnit (Post 2077963)
That our secondary has given up 24 passing TD's, and only 6 teams have given up more ???? I didnt realize it was THAT bad, problably Rogers and Brady's doing making it seem that bad minus Rogers 6 and bradys 4 it is only 14. SO all in all our secondary is good against mediocra QBs and one of the worst in the league against Elite guys. ***I also blame some of this on our lack of pass ru*****************

Just thought it was interesting.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...arrive/#8862-3

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDream34 (Post 2077977)
Look I am no football expert, but can anyone tell me why the secondary has been so bad this year. I mean its not like we don't have talent back there. Joseph and Jackson are solid starters and Manning/Quin are a solid safety tandem. Is it injuries or lack of pass rush because I just don't think they're that bad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllisUnit (Post 2077979)
I would have to say lack of pass rush, look at last season when we were killing QBs compared to this season.

At EU: Our secondary has sucked this year aka Groin / Hammy injury to Jonathon Joseph. Our run "D" and well pass "D" has suffered with the loss of Cushing, which lends itself to the secondary..

At the end of the day, it's not really that interesting.

We're short-handed on defense.. "Son of Bum" needs to figure it out with the personnel available...

That's the crux of this season...

Goatcheese 12-12-2012 08:35 PM

Re: Did you know.....
 
They're not getting consistent pressure on the QB with a four man rush, so they have to blitz to get to him. That leaves them in man coverage and if the blitz still gives the QB time to read the defense, he's going to find an open man. Better QB's like Brady and Rodgers will find that opening faster, but eventually if you don't get there, man coverage is going be exploited.

EllisUnit 12-12-2012 08:36 PM

Re: Did you know.....
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Texan_Bill (Post 2077984)
At EU: Our secondary has sucked this year aka Groin / Hammy injury to Jonathon Joseph. Our run "D" and well pass "D" has suffered with the loss of Cushing, which lends itself to the secondary..

At the end of the day, it's not really that interesting.

We're short-handed on defense.. "Son of Bum" needs to figure it out with the personnel available...

That's the crux of this season...

Look at the rank of our D, thats why i find it interesting.

aussie_texan 12-12-2012 09:53 PM

Re: Did you know.....
 
we have also given up minimal in rushing TDs. im not sure of the numbers but it must be pretty low. it balances out. points against we are in the bottom 5 so i dont think its a massive problem. however, that being said i think we need to bring in a couple of DBs in the offseason to improve the position.

DocBar 12-12-2012 10:09 PM

Re: Did you know.....
 
Our secondary has sucked due to absolutely no edge pass rush. Handle JJ and Smith and ya got it made. Barwin and Reed/ Merci just ain't getting it done. Phillips being slow to change, if at all, has something to do with it.

I can't put even most of the blame on the secondary. The front seven haven't been getting it done all year. 1 of them has but the other 6 simply hasn't, on a consistent basis.

wolf123 12-12-2012 10:39 PM

Re: Did you know.....
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DocBar (Post 2078012)
Our secondary has sucked due to absolutely no edge pass rush. Handle JJ and Smith and ya got it made. Barwin and Reed/ Merci just ain't getting it done. Phillips being slow to change, if at all, has something to do with it.

I can't put even most of the blame on the secondary. The front seven haven't been getting it done all year. 1 of them has but the other 6 simply hasn't, on a consistent basis.

Merci has more sacks then Barwin and Reed combined and is the only factor we've had all season coming off the edge.

beerlover 12-12-2012 10:41 PM

Re: Did you know.....
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf123 (Post 2078024)
Merci has more sacks then Barwin and Reed combined and is the only factor we've had all season coming off the edge.

damn good thing Texans drafted him then.

DocBar 12-12-2012 11:02 PM

Re: Did you know.....
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf123 (Post 2078024)
Merci has more sacks then Barwin and Reed combined and is the only factor we've had all season coming off the edge.

And our star interior DLOman has more than all of them combined, by a comfortable margin. Your argument is weak, at best.

wolf123 12-13-2012 12:24 AM

Re: Did you know.....
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DocBar (Post 2078039)
And our star interior DLOman has more than all of them combined, by a comfortable margin. Your argument is weak, at best.

What argument? Your complaining about a part time pass rusher who has started 2 games and has more sacks then all the other OLB combined?:overreact:

The pass rush has been terrible on the outside all season. Merci is the lone bright spot at OLB this year.

DocBar 12-13-2012 12:52 AM

Re: Did you know.....
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf123 (Post 2078063)
What argument? Your complaining about a part time pass rusher who has started 2 games and has more sacks then all the other OLB combined?:overreact:

The pass rush has been terrible on the outside all season. Merci is the lone bright spot at OLB this year.

I'm complaining about all 3 of them and Merci has certainly notbeen a bright a spot. You're wearing Texans beer goggles if you think so.

wolf123 12-13-2012 01:14 AM

Re: Did you know.....
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DocBar (Post 2078070)
I'm complaining about all 3 of them and Merci has certainly notbeen a bright a spot. You're wearing Texans beer goggles if you think so.

He's 2nd among rookies in sacks and 3rd in forced fumbles. And he's barely been on the field other then the last 3 games. You want to ***** about Barwin or Reed thats fine. They have done nothing and play a ton more snaps.

DX-TEX 12-13-2012 01:27 AM

Re: Did you know.....
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by EllisUnit (Post 2077979)
I would have to say lack of pass rush, look at last season when we were killing QBs compared to this season.

Nail meet head. If you are going to play man coverage 99.8% of the time you BETTER have a damn good pass rush.

thunderkyss 12-13-2012 05:35 AM

Re: Did you know.....
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goatcheese (Post 2077985)
They're not getting consistent pressure on the QB with a four man rush, so they have to blitz to get to him. That leaves them in man coverage and if the blitz still gives the QB time to read the defense, he's going to find an open man. Better QB's like Brady and Rodgers will find that opening faster, but eventually if you don't get there, man coverage is going be exploited.

I hear this a lot. I remember a time when we were so upset that we were never in man coverage, that we used too much zone. Now, being in man coverage is a bad thing... I guess because the announcer say so much on TV, people just start repeating it.

Prior to the start of the season we questioned if our defense would improve considering Wade's sophomore curse. Some opined, that our defense might actually improve but suffer in the stat column, because we're playing better offenses..... New England, Detroit, & Denver are top 3 of the top 4 offenses in the league.

So some of it was to be expected.

76 threw some numbers out there showing our Pass Rush isn't as bad as we think. I find that hard to believe, my eyes, & my gut tell me different. But, these QBs are doing a better job of getting the ball out. These receivers are doing a better job of getting open early & I don't know that the teams playing zone are doing any better against them (3 of the top 4 offenses).

But I think the numbers & the perception is starting to snowball. The way our safeties played Monday night was more akin to the 2010 ole' defense than last year's defense. They didn't appear to help out on any pass play.

deucetx 12-13-2012 09:13 AM

Re: Did you know.....
 
Few factors probably. For one, Wade's system is overly dependant on the pass rush. If you aren't getting there then there are going to be some issues. Our pass rush has lacked consistency more than anything. We may get some hurries but since the pressure is mainly coming from direction it isn't difficult for the QB to avoid it. After all, if Watt is coming at you but no one else is you could slide in the pocket, step up or roll to the other side. Need more from others and that is mainly speaking of edge rushers who have the speed to make a difference.

Currently Texans are:

Tied for 4th in sacks, 8th in QB Hits and 16th in Hurries.

Other issue is health of Joseph. Hamstrings linger and his has been doing so for some time. He was capable of completely locking one side of the field last year. Not so much this season. It made certain blitz packages more available. McCain dropped considerably. He has been basically awful this year. Put it like this...McCain is allowing a 95.6 rating against him. Last year? 47.2...so yeah HUGE drop on him.

Add those factors and you have issues especially when they spread us out. It's not just about running man. It's how we play it. We're in man and giving these cushions that shouldn't be. No press. Even see at times we get in their face and never touch them allowing them off the line with ease expecting our DB to run step for step with a receiver. Only the best DB's can do this from such a position.

Seeing our pass rush is inconsistent it would be better to have a mixture of man and zone and mingle it up. Disguise the defense better because elite QB's are that for a reason. They can read defenses rather well. Heck, that may go for vets too as Henne was reading, adjusting and making audibles against us because even he could read the defense.

HJam72 12-13-2012 09:31 AM

Re: Did you know.....
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DX-TEX (Post 2078075)
Nail meet head. If you are going to play man coverage 99.8% of the time you BETTER have a damn good pass rush.

LOL, I thought you called him a meat-head for some unexplained reason.

HJam72 12-13-2012 09:34 AM

Re: Did you know.....
 
I may have beat this to death already, but I really feel like, in the Pats game at least, TEs and guys outta the backfield were getting wide open very quickly because safeties and extra DBs were just mentally STUCK on the tailback.

It's just one game. I don't remember seeing that before.

I do know J.Jo.' s health, like y'all said, has been a part of the problem overall.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger